2011/10/05 12:18:49
woodnickle
Hereford Manor Lakes to be Closed to Public Beginning Oct. 12

Harrisburg, PA – The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) is advising anglers, boaters and the general public that the Hereford Manor Lakes in Beaver County will be closed to the public beginning Oct. 12, 2011, and will remain closed until the dams are rebuilt. The project is expected to be completed by November 2012.

Before work begins, PFBC biologists will spend several days salvaging fish from the lakes and relocating them to nearby waters. The exact dates of the salvages and the waters where the fish will be relocated are still being determined.

The dams at Upper and Lower Hereford Manor Lakes are among 18 dams managed by the PFBC which are characterized as “high hazard dams.” These dams are considered unsafe because they cannot handle 50 percent of the estimated maximum precipitation an area could receive in a 24-hour period. If the dams were to fail, significant risk of property damage and loss of life could occur. The PFBC estimates that $34 million is needed in construction funding to fix all of the dams. More information about high-hazard dams and the funding needed to rebuild them is available on the PFBC website at: http://www.fishandboat.com/dams/index.htm
2011/10/13 17:03:09
Fishon1021
Where did you see this? The last I heard, the dams were to be breached and the lakes drained. There is no money to rebuild them. So say goodbye to Hereford Manor.
2011/10/13 18:34:35
Outdoor Adventures
The post is a little misleading. When they say by Nov.2011 they mean that the old dam will be removed by then. As of now no funding is available to fix the dam. One thing that bothers me is that our game agency can suck millions out of the Growing Greener II fund ( funded by taxpayers)to build a new regional office in Franklin but the PFBC cant get funding from the same fund to repair a dam or two. Whats more important ??
2011/10/14 09:05:53
Fishon1021
After I posted yesterday, I came across two newspaper articles. One in the Beaver Valley Times and the other in the Ellwood City paper. Both said the same thing. Hereford Manor is now closed. The dams will be removed and the creek will be restored back to near its original condition. No money is available to repair or replace the dams. They estimated at least $12.6 million to replace just the lower dam. Then the area will be opened as a park like area. That is if there isn't a gas well sitting in there since the state sold the oil and gas rights. Yeah it seems like there is always money for some "special" projects. If you catch my drift.
2011/10/14 10:35:40
moose22dog
F'D UP!!!! THIS KINDA OF CRAP COOKS MY ONION'S
2011/10/14 12:46:02
JEB
I hate to see it go, it will just put more anglers on the other beaver county areas that I like to fish. The addition of brush creek pond didn't really help with numbers.
I only fished herdford in the early season and on the ice, other than that I like to stream fish, but now 600-800 anglers will be forced to go elsewhere. Sux for everyone involved.
2011/10/14 16:12:40
Outdoor Adventures

ORIGINAL: Fishon1021

After I posted yesterday, I came across two newspaper articles. One in the Beaver Valley Times and the other in the Ellwood City paper. Both said the same thing. Hereford Manor is now closed. The dams will be removed and the creek will be restored back to near its original condition. No money is available to repair or replace the dams. They estimated at least $12.6 million to replace just the lower dam. Then the area will be opened as a park like area. That is if there isn't a gas well sitting in there since the state sold the oil and gas rights. Yeah it seems like there is always money for some "special" projects. If you catch my drift.

So if the land was owned by the pa fish commission and they sold the gas and mineral rights where did that money go to ? Contact your state rep and let them know how you feel.
2011/10/23 13:04:19
graveydavey
My son and I went out to do some small game hunting at hereford yesterday and it's posted no trespassing. I can see not wanting people using the lake,but there is alot of huntable property there. Two trucks were parked at the gate;I assume they know the right people.I was not willing to be fined for a couple rabbits so we left.
2011/10/25 20:24:40
eyedreamn
I hate to see those lake go too. I have very fond memories of those lakes. My dad always took me bass fishing there. I would always convince my dad to drag our boat and gear to the upper lake. (He hated it) he Did it for me. I was probably only 14 at the time. I quess that's what dads do for thier sons. We would all ways catch a ton of bass.
Slugos in the weeds and spinnerbaits on the edges. It was a blast. When I would have a follower I would pitch a minnow on a size 10 hook with 4 lb line. They would bust it every time. I think my thumb was rubbed raw every time I left the upper lake from lipping all those fish.

Thanks dad! Now I have a lake erie trolling machine, look what you started, ha!

Hate to see those ponds go.......

Especially if their gonna drill. Boo hiss!

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account