2011/11/23 12:01:58
rippinlip
Sweet. Should improve panfish populations over time.
2011/11/23 16:06:54
bronzeback2
Yeah those wipers are eating machines, think they'd do allright on the younger gizzards and at least based on what I've seen and heard at Arthur the big ones put a whack on some decent sized ones too.
2011/11/23 23:13:21
Ymesss
I would post my comments and concerns about wilhelm but...
2011/11/24 13:26:21
CAPTAIN HOOK
Those Shad are here to stay and are huge in numbers. The Fish Commish doesn't want to hear introducing Hybrid Stripers but I say give it a shot. They are hopeing nature will take it's course on the Shad problem but how many years will it take ? Drop in few thousand Stripers and lets see........after all they are hybrids and can't reproduce. This may be the perfect time to experiment with a huge forage bass of Shad.
2011/11/24 16:54:35
wade alexander
are they a different kind of shad then is in pymy and shenango? ... 
2011/11/24 18:43:36
troutguy

ORIGINAL: wade alexander

are they a different kind of shad then is in pymy and shenango? ... 

No
2011/11/25 18:47:31
3006savage
There are two main factors affecting Wilhelm right now. One is an invasive species of weeds hydrofoil. It is extremely dense but only grows about 18 to 24 inches from the bottom up. The weeds will grow out to about 6 feet deep depending on the light penetration. These weeds only use about 1/3 of the water column once you get to 5-6 feet so there is relatively little cover when compared to native weeds. This exposes fry and smaller to predation ultimately reducing their populations. The lakes turbity will also increase due to the reduction in total weed growth.

The second is the shad population exploding. This is common when a new species is first introduced to a body of water. While the populations are extremely high many of the game fish feeding on them will usually be in a neutral or negative feeding mood because they are feeding so well. In a few years the shad population should fall and fishing should pick up as the amount of feed diminishes. Most likely gamefish populations are not actually falling "except for the crappie" which do not well with high gizzard shad populations due the larger shad feeding on the Crappie fry.
2011/11/25 20:21:40
SmMouthSeeker
ORIGINAL: bronzeback2

Sounds like they need to stock some wipers.

Do what the game commission did for the Pheasants. Close the season on wipers for 10 years to let them populate. 
2011/11/26 04:30:30
wade alexander
sounds like its the reason...

but i see a ton of shad in other lakes too so idk.

wipers might be an answer they dont reproduce...

2011/11/26 12:51:04
Fish5000
Personally , no mater how good a fish tastes , if it's bony , it's safe from me , lol ! If walleyes were bony , I wouldn't fish for them and that says alot ! Introducing a foreign species to control another doesn't work overall . It may control the one species , but usually ends up causing other problems and has been proven many times over . It still occurs , but is frowned upon .

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account