2017/10/25 09:34:52
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Finally feels like fall. Can't wait to get out this afternoon
2017/10/25 17:27:26
mopars0
Well Crappie hope ya have something to report this evening ..... for me my mind was saying ya can do this but my OLD body was saying are ya NUTS 😜👍.. been a little light drizzle off and on all day so we’ll give it a try tomorrow .. good luck guys !
2017/10/25 20:15:26
thunderpole
Fantastic evening on stand had deer on me from 230-730 6-7 does and another shooter I'm assuming it was 6:40pm 200 yards away and I seen antlers plan is set for morning evening hunt may change I might go after him with the climber undecided yet
2017/10/25 22:24:01
BeenThereDoneThat.
Just had the hounds out for their nitety nite wee. OAT hanging at 36° F. and the fog is rolling in. My weather dude says to expect 34 for a low with additional showers and maybe even a sss... snnn... ooow.... white stuff tonight!!!

Good luck if yinz make it out in the morning and have a safe hunt.
2017/10/25 23:50:53
outasync
Saw a monster on the way home by the game lands close to orangeville. 8 point at least 8 inches wider than his ears on both sides! Not very tall though. Didn't have that rutted up look to him. I got a good look too as he was 3 ft from my hood and walked straight in front of my truck for 3 minutes
2017/10/26 05:39:52
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Had my most productive sit of the season. One sub legal buck and 3 doe between 445-530, and another small buck at 615. Was ready to take the one doe at 30yds, but she turned into the brush instead of coming into my shooting lane. Was happy to see some deer moving instead of watching the squirrels for hours again. Getting good now. Good luck out there!
2017/10/26 05:42:16
workcanwait....
2 afternoon sits seen a few does and lil 4 pt.
Lots of scrapes and rubs being made and cams have vids of bucks at night.
I like the conditions today heading out for 1st am hunt.
Good Luck to all...WCW
2017/10/26 08:24:04
DarDys
“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.” — Robert Burns

I have been patiently awaiting the right time to make my maiden quasi-archery hunt. It was difficult to not get all antsy with seeing does from my patio (I swear one of them stuck their tongue out at me) and just go and try to get one in order to test out the crossbow, but I did it.

Lack of scrapes and buck pics on trail cams, other than the few small residents, told me to bide my time and wait it out.

Finally, on 10/19, the first transient buck showed up on camera. It was a terrible picture because the camera auto focused on a closer licking branch, but it was clear enough that I could tell it was one of the ones I had pics of from last rut that caused me to gush enough about it that my wife bought me the crossbow for Christmas.

I walk this area every day with my Pointers, so the deer are accustomed to human scent (and dog scent), so it was no big deal to keep doing that and look for sign.

On 10/20, the first scrape appeared under a crabapple limb. On 10/21, two more appeared forming a line which put my treehouse right in the middle.

On 10/22, I pulled the camera cards and saw no bucks save of a little spike that would not be legal under the very old rules. Then it rained hard.

I stayed out of the area completely with the plan of being in the tree house well before light on Thursday, 10/26.

As I was getting dressed in the basement, my backpack bumped the crossbow which was setting on a table and sent it crashing to the floor. This was not how I wanted to start the day.

Luckily, my basement has room for a 20 yard range and three bolts into the bag proved the fall had caused no damage or loss of zero.

I made it to the treehouse without the use of light and got set up to watch an area where the camera showed the deer were using a travel route from the neighbor’s still standing sweet corn field, crossing a creek, the stopping 18 yards away at a licking branch.

In the still darn near dark, darn near light, I thought I could see movement at the edge of the corn, but passed it off as wishful thinking. But maybe not. Pics of does making that trek were consistent with what time it was. It didn’t matter, it was too dark anyhow. But the thought was perhaps the transient buck would be on their trail and trying to herd them a bit.

I had not seen my regular does for 2-3 evenings, so something was changing their pattern and I hoped it was a horny buck (pun intended).

As it got light enough to see, I raised the ire of a fox squirrel that wondered what was suddenly occupying his treehouse. It was fun to watch his antics as he tried to get me to move. Finally, frustrated, he scampered away.

As I watched him jump from limb to limb, something caught my eye. Something was not right looking in the corn. I saw it again and realized it was a set of fireplace worthy antlers. I wasn’t sure if it was THE buck, but just from what I saw, it was one I would take without hesitation.

The deer stepped out of the corn and into the high grass which runs along the creek on the neighbor’s side. I still had not seen anything except that glimpse of huge antlers and parts here and there of deer body. At this point, it was still on the neighbor’s side of the creek (he wouldn’t mind if I shot it there, but I would). The last place I saw it was 30 yards.

I took the opportunity while it was hidden to rest the crossbow on the treehouse rail, pointed where the deer would cross the creek and stop before needing to climb a slight bank.

All I needed to do was wait.

It seemed like quite a while, but I am sure it was only a minute or two, and I started to see movement in the high grass.

Then it stopped. I could see, couldn’t see it, but wondered what held it up. Scent? Movement? Deer just being deer?

Suddenly, it whirled around, made two giant, tail wagging leaps and was gone back into the corn from whence it came.

I got a good look at the antlers and it definitely was THE one. As Bill Murray said in “Stripes,” “Then, depression sets in.”

I had no idea what caused it to flee like that. Turn around and walk, sure, but not fly like the wind (which was in my favor).

I caught movement out of the corner of my eye in the corn field. Here was a red pickup truck backing through the rows. It stopped right across from my treehouse and two guys got out and started hacking corn stalks with machetes and tossing them in the bed of the truck, probably for use as Halloween decorations.

It was 7:20. Who gathers corn stalks at that time of the morning?

They never saw me (obviously the buck saw, heard, smelled them) and went about their work for 15 minutes and then left, not knowing what they did.

Bite me, Robert Burns, bite me.

At least I know the buck is in the area and I might get another chance at him in the coming days, but I had visions of the taxidermy man and spending the rest of archery season chasing the Pointers for pheasants.

Oh, the best laid plans.,.
2017/10/26 09:35:36
CRAPPIE_SLAYER
Sounds like an exciting morning. Hope you get another chance at THE one
2017/10/26 10:17:14
DarDys
It was more depressing than exciting.

On the way out, an autumn olive tree at the edge of the field was just shredded with whole branches tossed 10 yards away from the tree.

I suspect I’ll be out early this afternoon.

Use My Existing Forum Account

Use My Social Media Account