Mohawk River Scotia area

Author
Hunter25
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points: 0
2008/08/01 13:16:28 (permalink)

Mohawk River Scotia area

Has anyone been fishing in the Scotia area? I have not had a good day yet this summer. I have tried everything. Last year was very productive and this year is ridiculous. Is it me?

12 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/01 15:31:40 (permalink)
    The cliffs by Rexford Bridge (both sides of the river) and the pilings of the old Erie Canal Aquaduct have held nice Smallmouth all season...  Tube Jigs, by good man...  Tube Jigs...

Trolling rapalas at 18ft on the downrigger has yeilded plenty of small Walleye...  Right in front of the Yacht Club...

And the mouth of the Alplaus always has perch and bass...  Just watch for the sandbar on your way in there...  Fish the shady spots on the shores of the Aplaus for the first few hundred yards...  Curly tail grubs will find you fish...

That area has some GREAT fishing- and seems so overlooked...  Give it a go at these spots and report back...

All fish will be down at 20ft+ in midday...  But when the 3-4lb smallies take your jig- you will know it!

A few have ROCKETD to the surface after being hooked...  From 25ft down, to being airborne...  All in 5 seconds...

Amazing...

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/01 15:59:12 (permalink)
    I have been most fishing down toward Jumpin Jacks. I'll give it a go up a ways. That's exactly what I've been using though. Last season I had landed more in 1 day than I have in the last month. I gonna hit it tomorrow before the rain hopefull.
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/01 16:17:55 (permalink)
    I don't know why Hunter, but I have crummy luck between Freemans and Lock 8...  I have focused almost exclusively on the rocks below Lock 7 (near the power plant), the weedline above Lock 7, and the Rexford cliffs...

I am sure everyone has different successes on the same water- but my gas is burned between Lock 7 and Rexfrod bridge...

Another section that has been productive (and worth a look) is the cliffes near Knolls...  There are several waterfalls pouring over there- with nice cool water...  The smallmouth and pannies can be there in big numbers sometimes..  Ocassionally I will find four or five Smallies under each outlet- sometimes I get skunked...

Luck of the draw, I suppose...  But Rexford always seems to produce...  Try the 'back bay' by the island below the Schenectady Yacht Club too...  Below the big cliffs on Riverview Rd...  The old Erie Canal is still back there (you will see it when you get to the end of the Yacht Club docks) and has some Largemouth...

Good luck...

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/01 17:49:51 (permalink)
    Ahhh, my home stretch of water .... My buddie let me borrow his Pelican two man boat so I have been hitting places that I can't bring "Reel Force" But as for the river - toss some lizzards on the pads in front of Glen Sanders - Dropshot something in front of Front Street Park - also look for any riprap along the banks - then up by Lock 8 I throw black grubs and spinner baits as far as in can towards the falls but don't cross the danger bouyes. 
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/02 17:29:54 (permalink)
    Yeah, the little bay and pads near Glen Sanders are good too...  I don't fish them much- but lost a BIG fish there three weeks ago on my last Mohawk outing...

Took a floating Rapala, and the englufing looked like someone flushed a toilet bowl...  BIG...

The Mohawk is awesome...  And plenty of water for everyone...  I do recommend the Lock 7 boat launch instead of Freeman's Bridge though...  The ramp at Freeman's is a CIRCUS sometimes, with googans galore...

Lock 7 is chill and pretty unknown...  Nice fishing upriver too..

Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/04 14:43:25 (permalink)
    I used to live in the old schoold on Front Street and would fish it from shore quite a bit. I used to hammer them there. Lock 7 is also one of old favorites. I'll probably try to switch things up a bit.
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/15 15:18:57 (permalink)
    Anybody been on the Mohawk lately?
    Explorer33
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/15 16:56:34 (permalink)
    Was over by Jumpin Jack's yesterday - it was pretty stained and water level low.  Will be heading out tomorrow morning (hopefully).  Will report back if I do.
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/18 07:34:07 (permalink)
    Fished hard both Saturday and Sunday. Nothing Saturday. Went down to Rexford and fished the bridge and pilings also hit the mouth of the Alplaus creek. I did have 2 pike follow my spinner bait to the boat at the same time.All I saw was body and teeth. 1st one was about 3' and the second was even bigger then the 1st one. Very cool. Yesterday I did the same routine and hit a few across from the launch on a white grub. Nothing the rest of the day. I was definitely a beautiful day out though. Anybody else having any luck in those parts?
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/18 16:06:48 (permalink)
    Yeah, I fished the Mohawk last night. Fished from lock 8 down to Mohawk Marina. All the usual spots. NADA!!! Definitely not having as good a year as last. August is a tough month to fish, I've usually found.

Depending on the weather, I may be heading out of Flight Road launch tomorrow morning.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    Hunter25
    Novice Angler
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/25 07:16:31 (permalink)
    OK, while you all were out at Snyders, I did manage to sneak in a few hours on Saturday and Sunday. Nothing to show for on Saturday and just when I was about to bag it on Sunday, my luck changed. I was fishing the little stretch between Glen Sanders and the main river and got busy real quick. I was using a white 3" mister twister grub on a jig head and latched into a nice 3.5lb smallie. It was non-stop for about an hour after that every other cast was another smallie. I think the smallest was about 2lbs. I even caught a few walleye. My thumb is raw. I used to have days like that with large mouths, but never with smallies. I'll be back for more.
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Mohawk River Scotia area 2008/08/25 08:43:29 (permalink)
    Hunter25, Sounds like a great time!!! We had  a GREAT Time on Snyders Lake!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: