Breathable Waders Suggestions

Author
tommybanzai
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 609
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/16 13:59:32 (permalink)

Breathable Waders Suggestions

Hey Guys and Girls!!! I was considering getting a pair of breathables this fall for a little more comfort when it comes the the fall steelhead/salmon..winter month steelehead, and occasional summer wading. I have been using neoprenes for years now, but its about time to get a new set of waders and I am leaning towards breathable. So....

1) What kind do you have (or want to get)?

2) Are they usuable in the winter steelie fishing?

3) How well do they hold up to some of the rough hiking that can occur (durability)?

I hope that a good amount of people ring into this, as I don't recall seeing any threads on here about this, and I am just looking to get into a good outfits without spending $500million dollars. Thanks in advance!

Now let the responses begin    

26 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/07/16 14:22:03 (permalink)
    Got a pair of Hodgman breathables at WalMart a year and a half ago.  Bought 'em on a whim since they were on clearance for $20, marked down from $80.  Have worn them now for 2 springs on local trout streams and 1 fall/winter for steelhead and have been pretty happy with them. 

Wore them on a couple steelhead outings last winter when temps were in the upper 30's & low 40's with under armor type pants and a thick pair of fleece underneath and was pretty comfy.  Not quite as comfy as my 5 mm neoprenes with 1000 gram thinsulate boots when the temps drop into the 30's, especially if you're standing in a current up to your waist.  But the benefits I've found are that the breathables are much better when I know I'll be doing some walking and when I'm gonna be standing in shallow water or on the shore.  When the snow is flying though, I definitely stick with my neoprenes. 

Having said all that, I know that I'm probably on borrowed time with these since they're on the low end when it comes to quality in waders, but for $20 I couldn't pass 'em up.  Also, I certainly don't wear them as much as many guys wear waders.  I've worn them fishing probably 30 times in a year and a half, and no leaks or tears so far.  If you're wearing them every other day or even every weekend, you'd probably be better off with some of the higher quality ones. 

Have not babied them either and have had several occasions where I've gone through briars or fallen on sharp rocks thinking they'd tear, but so far so good.  For as often as I wear waders fishing, I'd probably buy another pair of these in the future. 
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/07/16 15:04:06 (permalink)
    I bought 2 pairs in cabelas bargain cave last year the same day. One was their top of the line pair and 1 the cheapest ones. Both pairs leaked at the seams but compared to neoprenes i love them. A tube of aquaseal fixed all leaks to date fine.

I wore the boot foot chest high ones all last winter with 2 pairs of socks and a pair of sweat pants and i was only cold one day even with a slight leak in the seams. When i noticed i was getting cold i just started walking a little.

Bottom line is i doubt i'll ever go back to neos.  If your going to stay at one spot all day long in the winter and don't have far to hike then neos may be the better choice?
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/07/16 15:59:39 (permalink)
    Iv'e got Simms Freestone waders and they are on their 3rd season with no worries...  They are nice and keep me pretty cool in the summer...  Way less restricting that neoprene- and you surely look a heckuva' lot better!!!

During Steelhead season on Ontario tribs I need to wear fleece pants underneath, etc. but they have been really good to me...

They might be a little more dough than the Hodgemans or the Cablea's (mine were about $130) but they seem to hold up well...  I live on the water and put in about four days a WEEK in them most of the time...  They are dirty and rugged now- but have held up great...  They are also a lot tougher than I expected...

Might be worth a look...
    post edited by Neversink Jimmy - 2008/07/16 16:00:32

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    vinestbrew
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 418
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/07/16 16:55:58 (permalink)
    I have found my breathables warmer than my neoprene just make sure they are big enough for layers and some air space.. I prefer a stockingfoot..
    MRBM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/07/16 17:18:26 (permalink)
    TommyB:

You can't always get (everything) what you want, but if you try sometimes.....

If you want waders that are comfortable, light, and durable for summer and fall wading, especially when you plan to do a lot of walking, you want stocking foot breathables.  There are lots good ones out there - buy something in the middle of the price range and you should be OK.  I get about 3 years out of a set of Cabela's Premiums; that is enough to burn out the felt soles and studs on my boots (they can be replaced pretty cheaply).  And good boots are important, both for comfort and support, and for preventing the neoprene booties on the waders from developing leaks - so don't cut corners here.  For reasonably priced breathables and good boots, be prepared to shell out about $250-$300.

If you are planning mid winter trips to the tribs and warmth is a big concern, you want to have fleece wader liners and fleece socks under that wader/boot setup.  Also, boots with studded rubber lug soles are recommended when going over snow and ice, since they do not build up ice cakes like felt soles do.  I think the Korkers boots let you change soles easily to match conditions (buy your wading boots 1 or 2 sizes larger than your normal shoe size).  Better yet, there are waders specifically designed for mentally disturbed guys like us that love fishing the tribs in January/February.  I have the Chota Steelheader bootfoots and they are great for this - breathable, with warm insulated attached boots that lace up reasonably tightly and are surprisingly comfortably to walk in.  FishUSA sells them.  Maybe a little bit more $ than stockingfoots and boots but really worth it when your standing up to your **** in ice chunks on Valentine's Day and the Steelies are pounding chartreuse SS!!!    Anyway, good luck.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/07/16 17:33:55 (permalink)
    I learned long ago that anything I plan to use and use a lot is worth investing in. Buy cheap and you'll buy twice. Waders are one place where I've gone through my share of cheap and not so cheap pairs. I have fished all of the different types and I've put some time on the water in each. I'll only wear breathables if I am wearing chest waders (rubber is fine for hip boots) and that goes for 20 below weather.

I used to wear a pair of flytech 4-seasons waders. I really liked them. I had 2 of the 3 inserts (fleece and quilted). The fleece was really nice for cold. The quilted was incredible if you were standing in ice cold water. Unfortunately, they got a seam leak and I sent them back. They had discontinued them and I couldn't get the same size again. I have the brand new (in the package) replacements with my old liners that only kinda fit in them. The waders still fit fine, but I can't use the inserts. So I moved on.

I now use the Simms G3's and can honestly say that they are the best waders I've ever tried and well worth the price (I did get them at employee discount). I have (accidentally) gone through some tangles and briars that I shouldn't have yet I haven't had a leak or tear. I am pretty hard on waders rubbing up against and sitting on rocks, trees, and weeds. The waders haven't gotten a scratch. I think I'm working on a few years now and no complaints. I don't think I'll have to change them anytime in the next 10 years at this rate.

I have a pair of fleece pants that I have had 10 years now. They were $15 at K-mart and made by remington. Awesome pants, wish I could get another pair to set aside.

Thanks
    Rick
    earlysecond
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 212
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/06 23:08:46 (permalink)
    I use breathables year round.  I buy cheap ones.  It took me nearly 3 years to completely wear out the first pair I got at Gander Mountain.  Let me qualify this by saying that I fish nearly every weekend and I waded, last year, about 70% of the time.  I have owned neoprene and will not go back.   I can patch breathables with a heat system that I devised. 

The only problem I have had to date. . .when I showed up in my khaki green breathables on the first day of duck season, my hunting partners gave me grief about the no camo issue.   That is to say that they gave me grief until the weather was unseasonably warm and I was comfy while they roasted.

Get a pair that fits you well and has room for extra layers without being too baggy without the bulk.  I know this is a fne line but I know that different brands are shaped very differently.  I have enjoyed the heck out of my Cabelas light weight wading shoes.  Make sure to go to a store that allows you to try the stuff on.  Walk around a bit to make sure that you get what you want!

Brent
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/07 09:20:08 (permalink)
    I owned a lot of different brands of breathables in the past several years. The past couple of years i've been wearing Dan Baileys. I have both the yellowstone guides, and the lightweights. I wear them out about every two years, and get new Baileys. You may think 2 years is not a long time for waders, but with the amount of guiding and fishing I do, 2 years is the most i've got from a pair of waders.

Simms and Patagonia are pretty hard to beat, too.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/07 10:09:59 (permalink)
    drake,

Have you tried the G3's?  I've gone through a lot of waders myself.  The G3's are the absolute best I've found for durability and comfort.  They aren't baggy through the legs so they don't ever rub while you walk (at least for me).  They just seem to be cut just right to fit.  And, the 5-layer reinforcement in high wear areas is pretty tough.

Thanks,
    Rick
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/07 13:22:31 (permalink)
    Simms, Patagonia. End of story...
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/07 14:09:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for some of the input guys (and gals if any of you are). I am taking all of your suggestiosn into mind.
    I am thinking about going with a pair of Korkers boots with the interchangeable soles. Has anyone tried a set of these yet?
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/07 14:22:02 (permalink)
    I have them right now, been goofing around with them all summer...

LOVE the Boca steel lace thing- thought it was a gimic, but hasn't failed me so far, best fit of any boot because of the lace system, easy on ,easy off. Light boot, like the versatility of the soles- however...

Soles keep coming out a bit on the edges- haven't had any real dire issues with that yet, but it worries me... Also, these boots take forever to dry, definitely a negative...

All in all? Jury's still out. If I can keeo the soles from coming out, sold... If not, well, bummer, back to the Simms Guide Boots.
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/07 16:49:27 (permalink)
    hmmm...i havent looked at the simms boots yet   any recommendations of good prices online?
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/08 10:33:00 (permalink)
    I fished the wetlands model of the korkers boot for a while.  The soles are a neat feature, but I didn't swap them around much.  Mostly I left standard felt in them.  Occasionally I'd put the hiking sole in if I were fishing a brookie stream.  I did use the straight studs when I was on jetties and they did grip well.

That said, when I got the Simm's waders the Korkers were just a bit small (the simms neoprene is thicker than what I had previously).  I dealt with it for a while, but I couldn't do it anymore.  I picked up a pair of simms boots.  The simms are lighter and more comfortable.  I don't have the interchangable soles, but I don't need it.

If you will use the feature they are a nice boot (if a little heavy).  If you won't change them then there are better choices.

Thanks,
    Rick
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/09 23:24:51 (permalink)
    LL Beans Wicked Toughs for me. Love them. I have heard good things about the Don Baileys Ultra Lights though.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    fishingMOZ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/10 10:29:31 (permalink)
    LL Bean for sure they have a "Lifetime Satisfaction Guarantee" which means if your not completely satisfied or they leak at some point you can return them for a new pair free or if they no longer make that model they will refund you the amount you paid toward the new model.
    3way
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/11 06:13:05 (permalink)
    LL bean,s guarantee is golden. They do follow through. I f they have what you want, buy it!
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/18 11:46:36 (permalink)
    i had the bailey's light weight waders and they lasted about 4 years until they leaked too much.  sent them back to bailey's and they tried to repair them and sent them back with leaks.  bought orvis pro guide 2, last year.  so far they have been great, even busting brush, no leaks.

for boots i have the chota and korkers.  both are good boots but i like the korkers better.  i have no problem with the soles, make sure you get the new & improved model ( these are the ones with the RUBBER strap on the heel).  i just used these in CO this past week and used the steel cleats and changed to lug soles for walking back into the backcountry.  these are very light, yet provide very good support.
    FlashDance
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 968
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/19 21:14:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 3way

LL bean,s guarantee is golden. They do follow through. I f they have what you want, buy it!

Bean is the best!!!

Send them back every couple of years and you have new waders once again.
    netman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/19 23:11:59 (permalink)
    Your post prompted me to look at the LL Bean website. Much to my surprise they identify a pittsburgh store opening up in November 2008. No other details I could find.

Frank
    mook14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 301
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/21 22:37:42 (permalink)
    I think its in the new outlet mall near the Medows Racetrack not positive but I seem to have heard that
    pgh_flytier
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 249
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/08/22 14:47:15 (permalink)
    I heard they were building a new store in Ross Park Mall.
    j.wad
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 15
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/09/06 08:06:40 (permalink)
    The store is being built beside the Cheesecake factory at the Ross Park Mall and will open the week prior to Thanksgiving. 
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/09/06 15:25:13 (permalink)
    Also I'd look into FishUsa waders, like I said on a similiar forum I found them and they really look nice, not to mention it says they're steelhead waders. I personally don't have a pair but mine are getting older and I've been noticing rocks/sand in mine, maybe a leak or from when I fell down in a creek 200 miles out east
    post edited by flyfishermanPA - 2008/09/10 16:43:27
    tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/09/06 17:13:38 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: flyfishermanPA

Try some Cabelas brand ones. They take alot of beating and are decent price wise. Personally I've had a pair for almost a year now & flawless. Great for hiking & not to tight. I bring my camera every fishing trip so whenever I see something I can easily unbuckle the waders and get the camera out of my pocket. Oh yes and steelhead fishing! Personally not much of a steelhead fisherman myself, but being in lots of cold freezing water they're great. Very warm and comfortable. If you're from around Pittsburgh (or Philly for that matter) stores aren't too far away. Ones in Hamburg Pennsylvania and one close to the WV PA border, check their site. Good Luck!

Actually heading to Wheeling WV tomorrow
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: Breathable Waders Suggestions 2008/09/06 20:44:48 (permalink)
    Awesome! I'd look in the bargain Cave as well. Funny story.. Got my pair of waders out of there (camo waders) and when I went to check out this women at the counter was a total idiot. They were in the bargain cave for christ sake and she was like camo doesn't discount! Before I would get thrown out haha I asked for the manager. We cracked a deal and I got like 25 percent off. Not bad.
    Jump to: