Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
  • Reward points: 0
2007/05/06 23:06:21 (permalink)

Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th

We had a good turnout today.  Here is picture of most of those that fished today.  Missing is Dan P., Dave O. and a few others. 

Lots of good food and excellent company.

Everybody caught trout today,some caught many fish to say the least.....right Dano, Loopy, Al, DaveO., and a few others.  The morning was especially productive on wets and nymphs.  I took a stream temperature of 46 degrees at 9:30 AM and it was 60 degrees at 3:00 PM.  So.....did the late day hatch ever happen on the top water?  We left at 5:00, anybody get any on dries after that?

Thanks for the Oil Creek Outing hat, eggsac!
Let's do it again next year!
post edited by beerman - 2007/05/06 23:23:05

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg

50 Replies Related Threads

pappy69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 282
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 02:09:43 (permalink)
    Great pictures.  Glad you had a beautiful day for fishing, and that everyone had a grand time.  Sorry I missed it, so is my car.

Pappy
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 09:01:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

[

post edited by egg sac - 2007/05/07 09:02:51

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 09:17:10 (permalink)
    Was the best turn out yet with around 20 plus in attendence.
    1. flyman
    2. randy
    3. royce
    4. dallas
    5. elephanthead
    6. flags
    7. wormwaster
    8. dano
    9. oil city jeff
    10. t.t
    11. chrisrowboat
    12. skip
    13. loopy
    14. beerman
    15. mikastorm
    16. loopys buddy
    17. mary
    18. egg sac
    19. dan pastore
    20. dan o

If I left anyone out sorry. To all those that do not attend you are realy missing out on a great time. Tons of good food, fishing and shootin the bull.Remmeber if the only reason you do not show up is you are not sure about the fishing part no worries its more about just getting together, but there sure was alot of dumb fish this year.

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 09:18:27 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 09:33:16 (permalink)
    Gentlemen,
         Looks like everyone had a good time.  Lots of fish.  Sorry I missed the outing.  You guys got to fish... I got to count BIG boxes of mail.  Doesn't quite seem fair to me.  Hopefully I'll see you at the One Fly in the fall.  If I don't figure out how to break something on myself again.  Egg, you organized a really good show.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 10:42:51 (permalink)
    Egg and Mrs. Egg, thanks for the hat and all the cooking you did. 

Mikastorm rocks poppers!!!  Just don't tell my wife how much bacon I ate.

I had a blast.  I was really nervous about dry-fly fishing with some of FishErie's best, being that it was my first time.  I got skunked in the a.m., but after some great advice, a bit of ribbing, some of the best food I've ever had at a picinic, and the hardest-to-give-away bamboo rod one could imagine, I spanked a few Oil Creek trout.  My first trout on a dry was a pretty little rainbow landed shortly after getting the waders wet again, on a store-bought parachute.  That fly was quickly taken away by a large brown 2 casts later.  I caught a nice little brown a while later on a store-bought BWO.  Then it happened!   Amid a swarm of caddis flies, I caught a brown on one of MY caddis ties.  Woo Hoo!!!  It can be done folks.  Thanks Indsguiz for inspiring me to tie that pattern.(red with green butt)

I will do anything in my power to make a return visit not only for next year's event, but any other time I can steal away to fish a great stream.  Thanks everyone!

ps- Now, Chris, if you decide that the bamboo is just too delicate for your tastes, you know who to call...
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 10:44:07 (permalink)
    A big shout to Mary (Egg's better half) for the hospitality. Your restaurant gets 5 stars ! And to Egg for the memorial hats (nice touch). Great to see everyone again and to meet new folks. And thanks also to the fish for taking stupid pills before our outing (made for a busy day for all).   Dave
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 11:05:12 (permalink)
    Sounds like a great time was had by all.  Sorry to have missed the fun.  Maybe next year.  Who won the bamboo rod?

pax vobiscum +
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 11:08:33 (permalink)
    This shot is for Tippy-Toe.  All fight, no flop!  Jealous?

worm_waster from across the stream.  Biggest fish of the day, by far.  Good job!

Just your everyday, local caddis swarm.  It's nothing compared to the bunch we found hiding under my back pouch.

(insert missing photo of me pooping my waders as a big brown beaver swims at me while perched on a slimy rock)
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 11:09:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

Sounds like a great time was had by all.  Sorry to have missed the fun.  Maybe next year.  Who won the bamboo rod?

Bug,

You missed the best outing we have had so far bar none. Weather, eats and fishing was world class.Chrisrowboat won the pole.
    post edited by egg sac - 2007/05/07 11:11:01

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 11:32:26 (permalink)
    It deffinately will be a return trip. Thanks egg for a cool hat and Chris for the no slip mat for the dash. Thanks Mary for being a great cook.I hope all those jahapanas came out ok this morning,lol. Dano thanks for your help and streamside biology lesson. TT, never seen a person covered with caddis like that. You and worm-waster could have flown away with all the bugs carring you off. Egg , loved the wings,ummm good. Shrimp on the barby, too good! Who ever told me there are 2 kinds of fisherman fish oil creek, I got wet after lunch. I guess I don,t have to wait to fall in anymore. Thanks for a great time and nice meeting ya all. John

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 11:54:19 (permalink)
    T.T.,
        Just because I'm insanely curious;  why was the rod hard to give away?  Please don't tell me the guys were afraid of breaking it.  I would have been stoked if I could have seen some pix of somebody actually catching a fish on it.  Chrisrowboat:  The rod was built to fish with!  If it has an accident>...>...>...>  You know somebody who fixes them.  Also, thank Mikastorm.  He supplied many of the parts that went in to that rod.   Chris, as an aside.  If it breaks under normal use I'll try to repair it for free.  Car doors, feet, steelhead, and finned creatures over about 2 pounds, do Not construe normal use.  But then again, what beter way for a FISHING ROD to "go out" than by fishing/
    post edited by indsguiz - 2007/05/07 12:53:35

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 12:04:13 (permalink)
    I'll need the help of a statistician to explain the circumstances surrounding the prize.  It has nothing to do with the rod itself, but in our eventual method employed to award it.  I should let Dano explain, but here's a hint... drawing names from a hat would have given us about 40 minutes more fishing time.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 12:11:20 (permalink)

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 12:12:12 (permalink)
    By the way, Jack, BEAUTIFUL rod!  The wrap work on that was awesome.  Dano actually kicked around the idea of awarding it to the person who didn't catch anything.  That was me, before lunch.  Believe me, that pole would have been rigged and wet before the tables were cleared.

I brought along a few for you to look at, just incase you had made the trip anyway.  I wasn't the only one, I hear.  We sure missed you. 
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 12:49:07 (permalink)
    T.T.,
        Nice to know I was missed.  (Maybe your scopes are off)  Next time I'll supply the hat and the #'s.  I really didn't want to give away what I was sending up so I hope it was a suprise.  That thread on the wraps was so fine..... I'll bet that for the little bit I got on the wraps I threw away 10times more.  Believe me that rod was a labor of love, or compulsiveness.  I don't think I'll ever do another one with those wraps.(at least not till I get my medication refilled)  The wraps (and broken threads) took over 15 hours.  Now if I just knew what I was doing I'll bet I could cut that time in half.  Of all the things I do on a rod the most frustrating is to get right to the end of a wrap, be tying it off and have the wrap thread break.  Drop me a line.

flyman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 15:14:17 (permalink)
    Well, What a blast it was! Good to meet some new faces and the food was excellent. umm, I like to think that all the fish were smart and we all had the knowlege of hooking up. Egg, That was a very nice gesture and Thank You for the hat! They look good. Congrats to chris for steeling my bamboo pole. Indisguz, Sweet pole. Thanks for donating it!Elephatnhead. Tried the cell phone holder and it works well, Thanks! Thanks to eggs wife for cooking! And thanks to the fish for slurping the top.

The Motley crew

Squint alittle harder! You just might find the hole, eh!

Get that hook outta me already!

One of the dumb ones, Trout that is. lol

]

Morning light

Fish on!

A great day that will be remembered!

Al
    AL
    post edited by flyman - 2007/05/07 18:07:08
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 15:26:13 (permalink)
    It's funny seeing how many of those wading belts have that southern arc.
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 15:27:11 (permalink)
    Mika, that was me with the cell phone mats. Nice to meet ya !   Dave
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 15:32:16 (permalink)
    T.T., like I said before we left, you one funny guy. Jack, I actually never got a chance to see the rod. I was anxious to get back in the water. (literally)Splash! They should have called that slippery rock. I will have spiked shoes next time. 15 of us trying to guess a # between 1-100 sure took us a while. I was busy cooking those poppers and could not remember what # was said! All in all Jack, you better stay healthy for the fall one!

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 15:40:06 (permalink)
    sorry Dave ,I got confused. It works great, tried it on the way home, thanks. John

chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 17:28:53 (permalink)
    Jack,

Beautifully rod and yes it will be fished. My only problem with winning it was the scolding I received when I got home LATE. I had to leave early because of plans.
    I lawn casted yesterday and it casts real nice. Going out after this post to practice with it in my back yard. I hope to fish it Sunday. Thank you so much for your hard work. I've been thinking grass restoration for the past few months after seeing the rod at Last months Steelhead Association meeting(Dave brought it in to show off).

T.T.
    I did not catch a fish yesterday:p, only fished for @ hour :(. The smell of food won out.

All,
    Nice catching up with old friends,telling stories, and getting to enjoy the nice day fishing and eating with old and new. We should have these things more often.
    Chris
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 18:51:30 (permalink)
    What rod?  Never saw it or heard talk about it. 
    I guess I was too busy eating, BS-ing or fishing.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 19:04:21 (permalink)
    Gregg, you were fishing, it was after we ate. I was there and didn,t see the rod neither. Busy cooking the rest of the poppers.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 19:29:30 (permalink)

Just a few more pixs.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2982
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 20:35:28 (permalink)

Bug, Pappy & Indsguiz, Wish you guys could have been there. Hopefully, next year.
    Egg Sac and Mary, Hats off to both of you.
    Elephnthead, It does works. Thanks.
    Indsguiz , A big thanks goes out to Indsguiz for donating the prize of the day, an 8 ½ ft. bamboo rod that he re-did.
    Excellent work there, Jack. The plan was for nobody to win it and I take it home by default.
    Chris won it and we lined it up with a 5wt. line and ready to fish, but he had to head home.

I don’t know who ate better that day, the fish or us guys. What a spread.
    And, it was absolutely the best fishing day we ever had for our yearly May outing.
    Lots of fish, lots of bugs.
    What a pleasure to fish-n-chat with y’all.

Gone Fishing
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 20:40:22 (permalink)
    Chris,
        The one Dave had was the one for the fall One Fly!  The one you have was made just for the Oil City Gathering.   I would guess it as a heavy 4 - light 5 wt rod.  Should be perfect for smaller waters.  Just never can cast a bamboo rod as far as graphite.  They tend to be much slower.  Just post a picture of the rod and the first fish you catch with it.  A light coat of furniture polish will help disperse the water.   W/D-40 works great on the ferrules.  Good luck.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2982
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 20:55:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: beerman

So.....did the late day hatch ever happen on the top water?  We left at 5:00, anybody get any on dries after that?

Greg, the grannoms hit the water in massive waves later that evening.
    More fish rising upstream than down.

In this pic, all those tiny light spots around him are grannom caddis. We had to de-bug TT after he came out of the creek.

Sorry you missed the drawing. My falut.
    post edited by dano - 2007/05/07 21:03:09

Gone Fishing
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Oil Creek Outing ~ Sunday, May 6th 2007/05/07 21:08:31 (permalink)
    Will do, Jack.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: