Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008

Author
beerman
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1314
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/07 23:18:45 (permalink)

Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008

On Wednesday, June 25th, for the second year in a row I headed to Key West, Florida to fish.  I met up with my buddy, Tom,  there.  We fished three days; Thursday, Friday and Saturday.  Over 30 hours we caught 15+ different species of fish.  I took lots of pictures, ate some great food and drank many Red Stripe Beers.  I would like to tell my fish tale in a few parts or entries. (I don't have time to write it up in one sitting)  Please read on.... 

I flew out of Pittsburgh on Wednesday morning at 8:10AM.  I landed in Ft. Lauderdale and from there I took a commuter flight into Key West airport (think the show "Wings").  It only took a total of 5 1/2 hours....so I meet up with Tom at the airport and we head to "Louie's Backyard" bar and grille for lunch.  This restaurant is mentioned in the Jimmy Buffett song "Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season".  It's located on the Atlantic Ocean (southwest side of the island) BTW Key West is 2 miles by 4 miles in size.  Here is a picture of Louie's Backyard:

The mai-mai sandwich I had there was excellent!

to be continued...............

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg

23 Replies Related Threads

beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/08 17:28:49 (permalink)
    I have no idea why there is a yellow box around West or how I did it.

........So we checked into the trailer we rented on the Navy base.  My buddy used to be in the Air Force, this enabled us to stay at the trailer, with central air, for $65/night.  Quite a bargain in KW, plus we were only 200 yards from the Gulf of Mexico.  That night we ate at Guy Harvey's Island Grill.  The barbecued shrimp was great!

Thursday morning was our first day out fishing.  We hired a guide for three split days.  He is a former Air Force buddy of Tom.  He took us out for 5 hours in the mornings and 5 hours in the late afternoon.  This enabled us to beat the heat and catch the tide in an out-going phase.  Our guide, Jeff, uses two different boats a 16 foot flats boat and a 28 foot boat with two 225 motors.  We mainly used the later because of the windy conditions, except Friday morning we fished out of the flats boat. We fished bait all three days because of the wind.  Using a fly rod was very tough to say the least.

We started out in Key West Harbor, near Mallory Square, drifting cut bait (herring) behind the boat with the incoming tide.  After catching a few yellow tail snappers and some small mutton snappers we noticed a couple of tarpon rolling.  Our guide continued to chum a bit more and we proceeded to drift our cut bait.  Just then Tom hooked a tarpon.  We were using 6/0 circle hooks, so he started reeling after a short run by the fish.  Fish on!  Just then the tarpon went completely airborne, just 40 feet from the boat.  Yahoo I yelled!  Tom did the proper thing and bowed to the tarpon.  This gives the fish slack line so it doesn't snap the 80# leader.  Tom fought the 100# tarpon for at least another 15 minutes.  The fish rolled a couple of times and on it's third jump the leader broke.  I have most of it all on video.  We also had a live pin fish (4-5 inches) baited under a balloon bobber.  I caught a #18 barracuda with this set-up.

I'm on the left, guide Jeff on right

This is what happens to a yellow tail snapper when Mr. barracuda is around

Lemon shark I caught

Gray snapper

......tbe continued

The Beerman ~ Greg
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/09 16:16:09 (permalink)
    Can't wait to see more!  Sooooo jealous right now!
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/09 19:46:29 (permalink)
    After a hearty lunch we headed out to the south (Atlantic Ocean) side of Key West Harbor.  The channel has been dredged to allow cruise ships to pass through after docking at Key West.  We caught more sharks, groupers, blue runners and various snapper, plus a couple of jack cravelle that went 9# each.

Most every day that we were in Key West the high temperature was around 90 with lows around 80 degrees.  It was mostly overcast and the wind was pretty strong every day, so it was very hard to sight fish with the fly rod.

Later that evening we moved to the north end of the harbor in hopes of hooking a tarpon.  About a half an hour before sundown I finally hooked a tarpon myself.  I was using cut bait behind a chum slick our guide threw out.  It took my bait and proceeded to come directly at the boat.   The fish went around our vessel even went under it before streaking out about 120 feet from us.  Just then it leaped completely out of the water.  Yahoo!  Instinctively I lifted my 7 foot med/heavy spin rod upward.  I learned an important lesson.  I should have bowed to the tarpon because it easily snapped the 80# leader.  I thought next time I get a chance I would absolutely bow forward to give slack line.  Our guide estimated the tarpon to be around 100#.

To be continued.......

post edited by beerman - 2008/07/09 19:49:35

The Beerman ~ Greg
    BugDrifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 143
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/09 20:16:36 (permalink)
    Greg, great pics. Looks like you were having a blast. I bet that poon got the heart a thumping. THey say you end up losing way more than you boat. Salt fishing is alot different world. Glad you had fun. You have to come out east. Friends have a 38' Bertram and a 21' Parker. Just charges me for the fuel and a couple beers. Take Care
    Bug

I believe Hard work really makes the man, but everyone should wet a line, every now and then.

E.C.

beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/09 20:41:39 (permalink)
    Some more pictures:

Key West Art Gallery

Key West Saltwater Angler - flyfishing and apparel

Some typical Key West houses:
    (notice the blue porch roofs, this repels bugs)

to be continued......

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/09 22:30:00 (permalink)
    Here is a video of Tom hooked up to a 100# tarpon.  I'm not sure how to post this on the board.  I need some help please.  One can access the properties by right clicking the picture.  Thanks for any help trying to get this video posted.  I have a few more to show. 

The Beerman ~ Greg
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/10 20:44:34 (permalink)
    Wow! Looks like a heck of a time! Did he land it? I am glad you had fun Gregg.

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/11 01:50:13 (permalink)
    Man ! I think I'll be there in my dreams tonight ! ( I hope ! )
    Looking forward to more !

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/11 20:14:06 (permalink)
    Greg, wow, nice pics, glad you had a great trip.  Wonder why you're not holding that cuda? 

duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/12 08:20:09 (permalink)
    Greg,

It certainly looks like you had a great trip!!!!

We never ate at Louie's Backyard or Guy Harvey's.  Where are they located?

Did you make it to Caroline's?  We ended up there twice.

We did go to the Southernmost Café, which was a new eatery for us, and it was pretty good.  Trying to catch the sunset one night we ate at the Westin (formally the Hilton) and it was the worst food we ever had in KW.  It would have been better to just grab some pizza from a vendor wagon in Mallory.

We took some cool photos from the bi-plane.  I need to post them, but don't know whether to put them here or on my Tarpon Trip 2008 post on the FishErie forum.

If you and I are in KW at the same time next year, we will need to get together for a few frozen drinks.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    flyman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 148
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/12 10:51:21 (permalink)
    Looks like you had a blast! Thanks for shareing Greg!

Al
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/14 09:27:28 (permalink)
    On the second morning ,that we fished , it appeared that the winds had died down a bit, so Jeff (our guide) took out the smaller flats boat.

That morning we were targeting bonefish, tarpon and permit in the flats a few miles off Key West.

Tom on the bow... ready to cast.

Tom had one shot at a permit, to no avail, it spooked away.  We saw very few bones, but there was quite a few rays around.  I'm told usually the bonefish follow the rays looking for crabs that were dug up.  Not a good fish catching morning.

After a long break we went back out to the Key West harbor to try to get out of the prevailing winds and choppy sea.  We tried for tarpon off the coast near Zachery Taylor State Park beach.

Tom ~ Greg

The Key West harbor channel

Friday wasn't a real good fish catching day.  We did catch a few snappers and groupers, but no tarpon.  On our fishing trip we caught jack cravelle, yellow tail snapper, mangrove snapper, mutton snapper, red snapper, gray snapper, bonnethead shark, lemon shark, nurse shark, black grouper, barracuda, blue runner, bonnita, hound fish but no tarpon......yet.  On Saturday, our third and last day fishing, we would get another chance at a tarpon.
    To be continued.

The Beerman ~ Greg
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/14 10:11:09 (permalink)
    Greg,

Great pics and looks like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing, much appreciated. I haven't been down there to fish since I was in my early twenties....when I had money!

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/15 23:06:40 (permalink)
    Friday night we ate at one of my favorite (now) Key West restaurants, Mangia Mangia.  Its a little off the beaten path on Southard Street, four blocks from Duval Street.  It's a pasta café with great service.

Tomorrow would be my tarpon day!

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/16 18:10:16 (permalink)
    We headed out to Key West harbor early Saturday morning.  It was quite breezy and mostly overcast again.
    Our guide anchored the boat in the same spot as Wednesday where both Tom and I fought a tarpon each......unsuccessfully.  Again we were drifting cut bait in the current.  It's much like drifting an egg pattern on Elk Creek, except it's close to 90 degrees and you're in a boat.  After about an hour of catching various fish, most less than 5# (bonnet head sharks, yellow tail snappers, and barracuda)  I was starting to get restless.  Just then we all noticed a tarpon rolling about 150 feet out from the boat.  I noticed it a second time, then it was gone.
    Over the next half hour we observed 4 or 5 other tarpon in the harbor rolling.  All of a sudden something took my cut bait and started towards our boat.  It was at least 200 feet out.  We were using circled hooks, so as instructed by Jeff, I pointed the spin rod (7 ft., 15-30 lb rated) towards the water and reeled.  I had the fish hooked so I raised the rod tip and wham...reset the hook.  I couldn't tell what I had on because it was at least 20-30 feet deep where we were.  I thought maybe a shark or a tarpon.  Eventually it was under the boat and then it spooked away (still hooked) and made about a 100 foot run.  Oh my god it was a tarpon, as it rolled on the ocean's surface.  I almost ****ed my pants from it's shear size and from the shock that I was hooked up again to a tarpon.  All I thought was, bow to the tarpon when he jumps.  I didn't want to make the same mistake I made Wednesday.  I'm told the reason they roll on the water's surface to to take in air for their swim bladder.  This gives them much more strength.  To make a long story short I fought this tarpon for over 45 minutes.  He only jumped one time and I did bow, giving him slack line.  The fish never came unhooked.  He did roll at least 5 or 6 times, with me trying to pull the opposite way from the direction he wanted to go.  What a battle!  I was literally ready to puke about half way into the struggle.  We had him at the boat with the 80# leader in hand three times, but he would not give up.  I'm told a tarpon is considered caught once the guide is able to grasp the leader.  In Florida one has to possess a tarpon kill permit ($53) to even lift the fish out of the water.  Jeff had the leader wrapped around his gloved hand when the leader broke and the tarpon was gone.  Jeff said that he estimated it to be at least 115 lbs.  What a great fight!  The bummer is I don't have any pictures of the fish yet.  I do have a few minutes of video Tom took with his camera though.  I'm sure one can cut a picture fropm the video, I just don't know how.  Can anybody suggest where I can get help?  I really want a few still pictures.  I wish I could post all of these videos and have you all see them.

Here is one of the five videos I have:

Here is another:

I'm not done yet, I have a few other fish pictures and other photos of Key West.  To be continued......(when I have more time)
    post edited by beerman - 2008/07/17 09:09:24

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/17 09:04:49 (permalink)
    There where four other fishing boats in the same area as us and throughout the morning most were hooking up to tarpon.  It's very exciting to witness a 100# + tarpon jumping completely ouit of the water while hooked.  My tarpon took us about a half mile from the harbor during the battle.  By noon the tarpon bite was done so we headed back to port for a four hour break. 
    That afternoon we decided to go out to sea about 10 miles in search of birds, thus possibly mai-mai (dolphin), bonnita or yellow tail snapper might be present.  The water is over 500 feet deep that far out and was a beautiful purplelish navy blue in color. We trolled a rigged ballyhoo fish and caught a few bonnitas.

Key West Harbor

bonnita

bonnita

hound fish

I'm told that bonnita is not a very good tasting fish (tastes like liver)to humans,
    but yellow tail love em'.  So we used some of the bonnita for cut bait and started
    to fish for yellow tail by anchoring over a school.For the next hour and a half we
    took about 30 of these snapper to fillet.  It sells for $16/lb at Key West grocery stores.
    They were about 2-3 lbs per fish and fought surprising hard, taking drag.  I frozen them
    and took them home in my checked suitcase.  No problem.  I wrapped them in plastic
    and it hardly melted.

yellow tail snapper

To be continued......

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/20 10:42:50 (permalink)
    That concluded our 3 days of fishing.  We caught at least 15 different species of fish.  Overall we were on the water for 30 hours.  It cost us $800 a piece plus we gave Jeff a nice tip.  My greatest memory of the fishing was when I was hooked up to the tarpon I caught.  I'll never forget the first time the tarpon came up for air.  One thing I've learned is that it's much easier (for sharing) to snap pictures versus taking video.

Tom had to head home a day earlier than originally planned.  This gave me a day and a half to explore the island and be a tourist by myself.  It was time for some rest and relaxation!  Here are some more pictures of my further adventures.

There are chickens everywhere in Key West.  They are protected by law.  Back in the 50's and 60's cockfighting was prevalent, later to be outlawed.  These chickens are was left.

Sunday morning I took a tour of Earnest Hemingway's home in Key West.  It was very interesting to hear the tour guide talk about Heminway and the history of the island.  Check it out.

One of the six-toed cats that live at the house.

Heminway's study, where he wrote some of his novels.

to be continued....

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/23 15:21:48 (permalink)
    After touring Heminway's House I walked around town for at least a couple of hours taking pictures and sightseeing.  I came along a beach and sat down and read a book for the rest of the morning.  I enjoyed the R +R so much that I went back the next day to kill some time before my flight home.

Not only was I walking around the island, but I drove around in the rental car exploring
    and you guessed it, takin' pictures.  I ventured to the next key, Stock Island and found a small local
    eatery called Hogfish Bar and Grill.  They have great mai-mai sandwiches and is located right on the Atlantic Ocean.  I'll definitely go back there again.

Monday was my last day in Key West.  While waiting for my flight I toured the West Martello
    Tower, a Civil war fort and home of the Key West Garden Club.  It's located on White Street at the Atlantic Ocean.  The grounds feature native and exotic trees and plants. Plus it's free admission.

Notice the lizard in the middle of the picture

It was now time to board the "puddle jumper" (Key west Express) to fly to Fort Meyers
    then hop to another plane (737) onward to Pittsburgh.

That's all folks!  Thanks for viewing.

The Beerman ~ Greg
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/23 19:59:13 (permalink)
    An hour ago I rode past your store, on my bike, in the cold rain, only to get home and check out these beautiful pics of one of my favorite places.  Sure warmed me up!

Great Pictorial Greg! 
    Redbank
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/07/25 09:42:01 (permalink)
    great pics/videos and story. I can only imagine what a tarpon feels like on the end of my line. I have a stepson that lives down there, if I ever make it down I will want Jeff's number to hire him (if he is available).
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/08/02 09:51:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for sharing! Brings back pleasant memories!
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/08/02 23:54:48 (permalink)
    Great trip, thanks for posting. I was down there 10 yrs. ago and the barracuda were eating only our yellowtails also! We were ticked, the yellows are great eating. All we got were heads. I'll dig out my pics and post when I get time.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    justinl8688
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 330
    RE: Key West Fishing Trip ~ 2008 2008/08/04 23:50:55 (permalink)
    I just got back form teh keys about 2 weeks ago. (Buddy has a house there) Not a "fishing trip" but of course did get out there about 4 of the 8 days. We stayed in Marathon. Crushed the Dolphin, hooked a tarpon, and my brother caught a stingray... overall and awesome place to be! I'll try to post some pics when I get the time

2005 Triton TR21X
    225 Mercury Optimax

Jump to: