No deputies

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
RE: No deputies 2008/07/10 04:52:43 (permalink)

Mika, I can understand your point with losing a days pay with the court appearance. Wonder what the DWCO would do if he checked me and my reloads? I have AA trap hulls loaded with 1-1/4 oz #4 shot. I never saw in the law it had to be marked on the hull, just stated the possession of larger than #4 is unlawful.

We had a deputy dog harass the hell out of us while we were waterfowl hunting for some reloaded steel shot shells..AA hulls with no writing and the old plastic shot cup. His magnet didn't stick well enough so he accused us of mixing our shot..Steel/lead..We had to open up a half dozen shells between us to prove him wrong.Those shells were over a buck a piece to reload....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

leadmen
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1001
RE: No deputies 2008/07/10 07:15:30 (permalink)
flat out if your a nut you can get a job anywhere we need have these guys evaluated befor a badge and a gun some times THAT POWER GOES TO THERE HEAD AND THAT MAKES THEM BAD AND A NEG AFFECT ON EVERYONE a lot tougher to rember the good guys but youll never forget the bad ones

CHEERS ALL
kevinupp
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 606
RE: No deputies 2008/07/10 18:17:32 (permalink)
I wonder why he pled guilty if the DWCO was totally in the wrong??????

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8500
RE: No deputies 2008/07/10 21:33:18 (permalink)
How darn hard is it to cut two shells open? The first year for my son to hunt and this guy gives me greaf!

S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: No deputies 2008/07/10 21:40:47 (permalink)
Kevin--I sure don't know all the facts of this case but back in the horse and buggy days I was a justice of the peace so I do know a bit about how the system works. In many less serious cases it is sad but true that it is much less expensive and time consuming to plead guilty and pay the fine than it is to fight the accusations in court. It is also true that law enforcement piles on all the violations possible to give them leverage in plea bargining. Not saying it's right or wrong, it's just the way the system works.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
RE: No deputies 2008/07/10 22:35:44 (permalink)
Amen!

kevinupp
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 606
RE: No deputies 2008/07/11 08:35:31 (permalink)
S-10, I agree with that. I have no doubts that it happens alot. In this case I have absolutely no doubt that he pled guilty because he was.

He was on a public road, in front of a piece of property, (from my reading and talking to a few people that wasn't owned by him or a family member), he drove AWAY from an officer of the law after lieing to him about having a gun in the vehicle, try that with a statie or a townie, and he would've ended up eating dirt as he was being handcuffed. This just goes to show you that total lack of respect this 30+ yr old legiscritter's "kid" has for the law.

This whole deal is a vendetta by "daddy dearest" because his boy got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

More than a million trees a year die to print environmentalist publications.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: No deputies 2008/07/11 10:19:27 (permalink)
At 39 bucks a box I'll be dammed if they are gonna cut my heavi shot open!

Better too far back, than too far forward.
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: No deputies 2008/07/11 10:30:17 (permalink)
You better make sure the labels are printed clearly or you will either be cutting one open or going to a court appearance.  I guess that is your freedom of choice...
sugarfuzz12
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: No deputies 2008/07/11 11:50:15 (permalink)
you know **** well he was tryen to poach a deer or he wouldn't have been acting so suspicious about the whole thing he would of just talked to the guy then been able to go on his way if he was doing everything legaly
woodnickle
Pro Angler
RE: No deputies 2008/07/11 23:01:07 (permalink)
Bull!

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: No deputies 2008/07/12 07:05:08 (permalink)
A friend I hunt with owns an 800 acre farm(all posted). When he goes out to kill woodchucks on the farm fields he doesn't take his liscence, he rides around his fields with a loaded rifle on the seat, shoots off the hood of the truck, and wears no orange cap.
Deputy tried to come out in the field and start writing him up for all these violations..Which would be true if he were "Hunting".
In the eyes of the Game law he is a farmer performing a farming function(eradicating field pests) and none of the game laws applied to him at that time.

I went with them a couple times and felt very uncomfortable. Seemed like I was looking over my shoulder the whole time. They even had me take off my orange hat.. Get that off your head the **** chucks can see it...I don't hunt there any more....
 Question--Can I drive around on my own property with a loaded gun on the seat??

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: No deputies 2008/07/14 18:10:16 (permalink)
Bing....

I'm not sure about riding around on YOUR property with a loaded gun.. but I know for fact the law states you have to be wearing an orange cap when shooting/hunting groundhogs..... ask the neighbor to our local WCO... he got fined for shooting a groundhog off his back porch because HE DID NOT have on an orange hat... not for shooting off the porch or shooting the "hog".....
$100.00 bucks.....

plus you wrote ---
In the eyes of the Game law he is a farmer performing a farming function(eradicating field pests) and none of the game laws applied to him at that time.[/unquote]

I dare you to show me where that is true..... sounds like something the farmer told you, trying to get you to believe he was NOT breaking the law.... 
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: No deputies 2008/07/14 18:25:17 (permalink)
Doc-- I think that's a prime example of why the PGC is getting the reputation of being out of control.  That was a WCO doing the arresting. Hope he didn't have a trainee tagging along. Talk about chicken s--t.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: No deputies 2008/07/14 19:12:54 (permalink)
Have to talk to a WCO on that there are different laws or rules for eliminating farm pests.
They can smoke them out and shoot them legally..against the game code if you are hunting.

They can burn them out...against the game code if you are hunting..

They can dig them out...also against the game code if you are Hunting ...They are not hunting..

What about the farmer that carries a loaded rifle on his tractor.He stops to shoot a chuck does he have to put on an orange hat...I don't think he does..
Guess I'll fire off an e-mail to the PGC and see if what I was told is true before end up disseminating BS...

bingsbaits
Pro Angler
RE: No deputies 2008/07/16 06:53:50 (permalink)
I asked the PgcGC 3 questions and here are the answers they gave me...

1. Can a farmer ride around his farm with a loaded firearm in the vehicle(truck,tractor,atv)??
1) You may not ride in a vehicle with a loaded firearm on a public roadway. All else would be legal then...

2.If a farmer is out killing chucks does he have to wear an orange hat ??
2. If he is killing groundhogs to protect his property, no he doesn't need to wear an orange hat. Also no liscence is required...

3. Do any of the game laws apply to the farmer or is he exempt as he is not hunting but performing a farming function (removing field pests)??

3. If he is protecting his property by killing groundhogs, state law allows for this activity and the Game Commission may not restrict the activity.

It appears it is legal for a farmer to ride around his own property with a loaded firearm in his vehicle and needs no orange hat..
post edited by bingsbaits - 2008/07/16 06:56:06

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: No deputies 2008/07/16 11:49:54 (permalink)
Nice to get real answers.  Unfortunatley some WCO's do not know the regulations.  Local farmer here was fined for not having the orange hat.  He posted 180 acres after that.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
RE: No deputies 2008/07/17 00:42:05 (permalink)
"This whole deal is a vendetta by "daddy dearest" because his boy got caught with his hand in the cookie jar."

Your tax dollars at work!

pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: No deputies 2008/07/17 01:12:07 (permalink)
Riding around in a truck watching a thermal imaging screen then shooting deer and coyotes out the window with a 10/22 Mag, AR15 or my personal favorite H&K PSG1 is legal at Greater Pit Airport. All you need to do is know someone that works there,

Or it was before 911-now only airport personnel are allowed.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: