Lawsuit against the PGC

Author
thedrake
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1948
  • Reward points: 0
2008/07/07 01:03:31 (permalink)

Lawsuit against the PGC

I just read the unified sportsmen of PA are filing a lawsuit against the PGC. Maybe it's old news to some of you, but it's new news to me.

http://www.courts.state.pa.us/OpPosting/CWealth/out/427MD07_6-16-08.pdf

IMO, the USP's arguement makes them look like a group of guys that simply want more deer, regardless of herd health, or forest health.

I see they are calling for an immediate halt of the taking of antlerless deer. Could you guys imagine what the buck to doe ratio would be if we only hunted bucks for a season?

I noticed they are calling for the PGC to allow "hunter/trapper groups" to play a role in forming policy. Right now, I can't think of one hunting group that I would like to see helping to change policy. Most of them simply want more deer. If we would double the size of our herd, most groups would still just want more deer.

I'll admit I read through this quickly, so I may have missed it, but I didn't notice anywhere that the USP suggested what deer numbers should be. I get the feeling if you ask these guys how many deer we should have in PA, their answer would simply be "more".

I hope this suit goes nowhere.

What are your thoughts?????

5 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Lawsuit against the PGC 2008/07/07 05:58:32 (permalink)
    I think it's about the stupidest thing I've seen. Let's drain some more money from a cash strapped agency fighting stupid law suits..
    Who are these fellas any way?? I don't know any members...

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3508
    RE: Lawsuit against the PGC 2008/07/07 07:43:06 (permalink)
    This will be thier second attempt but this suit is getting further than the last.  It was filed about 6-8 weeks ago.

I don't expect this suit to go anywhere in the courts or favor the USP in any way but one thing that this suit does do is force the PGC to spend alot of resources that it does not have.

It is true that the USP just wants more deer period.  Does not care about much else and this organization will do anything to discredit, bankrupt, or just make life miserable for the PGC.  Many legislators are, unfortunately, in thier court too. 

We will see, but when the USP loses this case, it will be interesting to see what happens to this organization.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4009
    RE: Lawsuit against the PGC 2008/07/07 09:01:52 (permalink)
    Same old, same old.  PGC wastes time and money (and all the other taxpayers too as the they are using the state lawyers and money from the general fund to defend the PGC) and the USP are still a bunch of idiots. 

PS - Saw a ton of deer throughout central and north western Cambria county all weekend long on my fishing trips this past weekend.  Almost hit groups of them on 4 different occassions on the back roads and seen many in the fields in the AM and PM every day I was out.  Deer population is looking a little better out that way for sure. 
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Lawsuit against the PGC 2008/07/07 12:27:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

I think it's about the stupidest thing I've seen. Let's drain some more money from a cash strapped agency fighting stupid law suits..
    Who are these fellas any way?? I don't know any members...

I dont know any either, but they do claim to have 30,000 members. Sounds high to me.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Lawsuit against the PGC 2008/07/07 13:45:09 (permalink)
    I don't know about their numbers but they do have a lot of supporters in the northern tier. I think most of their support comes from  hunters in 2F and 2G where they have really reduced the deer herd on the state and national forest. A lot of folks that hunt private property or in the southern tier don't realize the difference in the deer herd in the forest areas.
    Jump to: