walleye club

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2008/06/30 21:16:47 (permalink)

walleye club

I wish the state had a walleye stocking program for the catskill reserviors, specifically the ashokan where i know they still abound but rarely see.. also the pepacton which was once thriving walleye habitate prior to the reservior .. I know the upper east branch in margaretsville is certainly favorable now for sustaining a natural population of walleye.. the roundout and  neversink too should be stocked with walleye. I propose a mini walleye hatchery for raising walleye fry to be released into these excellent impoundments where there is more than enough food supply and possibly enough habitate for self sustaining natural reproduction. What do you guys think?

6 Replies Related Threads

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: walleye club 2008/06/30 22:13:35 (permalink)
    i've only caught one walleye and i would really like to have more of an opportunity to catch them.
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: walleye club 2008/06/30 22:55:34 (permalink)
    That depends . Do you like your trout ? You cant have both . You might be able to  get by with lakers maybe... but browns and walleye don't really mix in small waters . Let the natural reproduction go and the walleye #'s will increase .Stock it and they will explode.
       I ask why ? With such a good trout fishery ? Walleyes are a dime a dozen while wild , natural reproduction of brown trout is so fragile . Why interrupt an almost perfect fishery that is so protected just to introduce a better tasting fish . They most certainly do NOT fight any harder than a brown .
    I know that there are exceptions to the rules but why risk the spoiling of your great fishery ?
    Please dont take this as an attack . I am just trying to understand your logic .
    HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: walleye club 2008/07/01 10:18:13 (permalink)
    I understand your love for walleye Backin. But we can't, and shouldn't, try to force our love of a fish to be in all of our favorite waters. Some of the more southern NYC ressies have walleye (I know you don't like these waters). Sodom, Bogs Brook, Diverting, Boyds Corners, and now they have spread to West Branch. And they are forecast to spread to Croton Falls as well. Add in Oscawana Lake and Lake Mohegan, and that gives 7, possibly 8, waters just in Westchester/Putnam Counties to choose from.

I honestly wish I still lived in southern NY for the fishing. I found it to be much better than up here. The trout, smb, and lmb are much bigger down there. And from my limited experience with walleye up here, southern NY walleye are bigger as well. (Of course I'm not talking about the Great Lakes and such. Just Saratoga County.)

The northern NYC ressies, as you are more than well aware, are AMAZING trout waters, and I definitely wouldn't try to change them in any way.

post edited by HookLineSinker - 2008/07/01 10:20:58
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: walleye club 2008/07/01 11:51:05 (permalink)
    just a quick question, i live near albany ny, and i really want to catch some walleye, what's my best bet without a huge drive.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: walleye club 2008/07/01 17:26:35 (permalink)
    You guys trust me on this, a few thousand a year walleye stocking program in the pepacton in in no way going to hurt the browns .. if anything sm are the agressors in which they were blamed for eating all the bait in the neversink a few years ago causing thinner fish in which i remember,, they're footballs once again in the nev. i can understand small nev and roundout as being small.. As for the natural reproduction.. walleye were native in both shokan and pepacton before the introduction of browns. Both reservoirs without a doubt are big and deep enough and would certainly benefit the fisheries and sportsfishing enthusuists from all around. Plenty of room and bait for a walleye stocking program. They say the introduction of the bait sawbellies released by fishermen were the main cause for the  ashokan native walleyes drop in numbers. That allong with fishermen taking resulted in less chances of catching an ashokan walley. I think it is time the state considers a walleye stocking program for at least the ashokan and pepacton reserviors. The trout will do just fine especially knowing they're stocked anually.. walleye would bring an extra bonus to fishermen.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: walleye club 2008/07/01 17:40:34 (permalink)
    the cleanest water for table walleye i know of is the ashokan.. you need to be registered with the nyc dep its free with proof of valid state fishing license. Of coarse you need a rowboat this time of year and that too needs to be registered. Odds are pretty good you will catch anything but the walleye though! lol they're all too rare and usually caught fishing for other species. I suppose scoharie reservoir (but after that last drought) who knows ..but north west from albany up north susquahanas goodyear lk.  you might try up in cooperstown canadarago lk.  ostego lk?  down near the wallkill sturgeon pool but never bother there myself. I like clean fishing ..tomorrow going for first fluke trip let you know how i do!
    Jump to: