Author
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6353
  • Reward points: 0
2008/05/27 17:45:02 (permalink)

Years Most embarrassing Moment

Gnetlemen,
     In the interest of humor I am going to ask you to submit YOUR most embarrassing moment while steelhead fishing this year.  I'll start it of with mine:   This year while fishing the projects at Walnut  (that in itself is embarrassing) I hooked a very nice male steelhead and had him come off after about 3 minutes.  I thought I lost my fly but when I looked it was still on the line.  So I kept fishing and for the next hour it was: Fish ON! > > > fish off; so I knew they were hitting what I was using.  After about the 6th miss  (I catch on real fast) I checked the fly again.  Good fly , , , but no point on the hook.  It had broken off right behind the body of the fly.  So my stellar day on the tribs was runied by inattentiveness.

Illegitimis Non carborundum

17 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/27 18:48:24 (permalink)
    The most embarrASSing moment was actually a day my brother and I were having some phenominal fishing on Elk.  We actually started a little competition to see who could catch more steele.  The embarrassment goes to my bro when I stole a fish right off of his line.  I've never seen anything like this in my life while fishing.  I was leading by a thread and catching them pretty good in my hole, when he proceeded to sneak a cast into it....Wham!  He got one to hit just as I was casting out too.  The wild thing is that the fish went for my bait as well just after my brother hooked into it.  We were both amazingly hooked to the same fish.  Needless to say, his line broke at the knot and I ended up landing the fish.  After I removed my jig and my brother's, I released the fish, handed my brother his jig and said..."Thats what you get for trying to "Bogart" my spot!"  I won the battle, not by one fish, but boy would it have been nice!  We'd never seen anything like it, but the best part was when he hooked into, he started laughing at me...it served him right; I got the fish and the last laugh.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/05/27 18:50:28

Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/27 20:29:57 (permalink)
    My first time fishing in Erie, we were fishing 20 mile.  There was a log jam across stream and a lot of chrome was holding below the jam.  I had not yet landed a nice steelhead, just a few jacks by this point,  meanwhile the more experienced fishermen I was with were hitting them pretty hard.  So, being the easily frustrated, short tempered fisherman I am, I tried for the perfect cast and snagged the log jam, one log in particular.  My line broke and I lost a tandem of sucker spawn.  So I tied on again, first cast snagged.  WTF I said to my self.  Tied on again, snagged! I proceded to get snagged six times with six casts, each time losing a tandem of sucker spawn.   When we left the spot, the log looked like a Christmas tree decorated with varying colors of suckerspawn.  To make matters worse, when I was not looking, one of my "friends" walked through the hole and cleaned the log of my sucker spawn.  What a****

This happened about four years ago.  Sorry, did not realize that it was supposed to be for this year.
    post edited by Inukshuk - 2008/05/27 20:40:21
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/27 20:34:30 (permalink)
    I didn't make it up this year due to some health problems all fall & winter, buthad a bad one on the stocked streams. Ask egg Sac, he knows my obession to catch a Pali. I found one in the second week and fished for hour after hour for this fish, It .was a 23", I know because a buddy of mine CPR'd two days earlier and he wanted to give me a shot at it, cause he to feels my pain too. Well after about the 400th cast at this fish, it decides to hit, but unfortunatley after 399 unsucessful cast , you tend to daydream a little. Well it was fish on ! fish off, just like that. I had my one shot and missed it, I hope some little kid caught it on a Snoopy rod, good for them if they did, it sure kicked my butt 
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/27 23:12:35 (permalink)
    2 for me in 1 day back in April on the Loyalhanna, #1 is i waded out to this big rock in the middle of the creek, sat on the rock for about 5, adjusted my legs to a more comfortable position an just like that i slid right off of the rock and into water up to my neck, i guess when when the water from my waders made the rock wet an when it did it got pretty slick so i shot into the water like a rocket with nothin to grab onto, waders filled with water, vest drenched an etc an #2 later on in the day, i'm wadin again walkin an fishin without payin attention where i'm walking an ended up steppin into a hole up to my neck again, waders fill up an everything else is wet again with people on both sides of the creek laughing at me. Very bad day but i caught fish so that makes up for the bad i guess.

Ronnie
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/28 10:28:01 (permalink)
    My most embarrassing moment, thank God, was not observed by anyone.  I was at the Legion hole right about dusk and hooked up a nice steelie on my centerpin set up.  As I was fighting the fish, I somehow loosened up the reel and it almost came off the rod.  Just picture a steelie on the line, it is getting dark, I am holding onto the rod and trying to fight the fish and keep the reel attached to the rod.  It was some fight.  I did manage to land the fish, but it was not pretty.  Off course, this came at the end of a frustrating day of fishing....

pax vobiscum +
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/28 13:08:37 (permalink)
    My most embarrassing moment was watchin Inuk get snagged on the same log pile 6 times in a row....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/28 13:22:05 (permalink)
    Fishing upper Elk, I said to my friend "Mike, be careful, it's real slippery"...

BAM!

I fell instantly flat on my back in 4 inches of water, feet in the air.

Everyone who saw it got a good laugh.
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/28 14:10:45 (permalink)
    While fishing Elk creek at the end of November my buddy and I decided to walk downstream through the tubes and see if we could find some more steel.  I was a little worried becuase the creek was relatively high.  He went first and walked on the ledge.  When he came to the end he stepped in and was able to go through unharmed even though the water was up around his belly button.  I wasnt' that lucky.  When I stepped in I slipped and needless to say got soaked.  That sucked.  Went back to camp put on some dry clothes and had an excellent afternoon of catchin steel. 

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    Lipsticker2
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 170
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/28 14:34:19 (permalink)
    First time to fish steel in PA. was at Elk. Waded accross just above the ramp with my Father in law and son. After a while, they decided the fishing would be better on the other side. My father in laws way of thinking is a strait line is the quickest way from point A to point B. He waded across the creek, and right into the middle of the mud above the ramp. His hip boots got stuck in the mud, and while trying to get out, he fell forward into the mud. My son figured he was going to rescue Pap, and did the same thing. Needles to say, I then had to drive them both back to the motel to change. My father in laws boots were full of mud, so he washed them out in the motel shower and hung them on the shower curtain rod to dry.
    fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/28 15:39:50 (permalink)
    Back when Elk was somewhat ice covered, I tried to walk up through the tubes under Rte. 5, on top of the ice on the left side. The ice gave way, and I was stuck around my waist. It wasn't much deeper than that, but I also ran a stick through my neoprenes, about thigh high. My right boot filled with ice water, and it cost me $11 at the BP station for their last tube of Aqua Seal. I got everything straightened out, but did not find many steelheads that particular day.    Fishmonger
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/28 15:52:32 (permalink)
    stopped at dunbar after the sportsman club stocked to mess around with a few stockies this weekend.  Waded out into the shallowest section of the stream at the start of the bait section by the old coke ovens and out on some flat rocks.  After falling 3 times going out (hard I might add), I decided that 6 inch trout were not worth a broken bone, So i tried to go back to the bank.  Fell 3 more times and gathered a round of applause from the people above and below me...soaked and p.o.ed I went home
    STEELYS MANFISH
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 682
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/29 15:42:17 (permalink)
    went out w a buddy on his boat to fish for perch on Erie. waves kicked up to 4 feet and I turned green quick. puked all over the side of his beautiful boat and headed back to solid ground. once back to sure and on solid ground felt much better and ate a 12 inch hoagie. My buddy has heckled the hell out of me ever since. wont forget the scop. patches next time. oh yeah just as I got sick we started hitting the perch finally.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/29 21:15:10 (permalink)
    Fishing 20 mile just under rt.5 bridge this April I hooked into a good steelie that headed downstream. I was too lazy to follow and tried to turn him. With a severe bend in my rod the line broke and the rod snapped back against the side of the bridge snapping the tip. Thankfully it was a short walk to the truck and my spare rod. It was interesting that I landed over 20 that day for free and there was a gentleman about 100 yards up on the Beaver lease that wasn't doing nearly as well. That helped ease the pain of a broken rod.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/30 08:52:30 (permalink)
    Mine would have to be the time I caught a trout by the Iron Bridge Inn, out of Mercer, with a rapala(2 weeks ago) and the fish slipped out of my grasp.
    The front trebles sunk into my finger, with the trout dangling and wiggling, me trying to hold the thing down and get it off with my thumb. Two guys just stairing at me. After some anxiouse moments , it came free. Now sweat is pouring off my forehead and fealing woozy, I walk to my truck and sit down. 2 well dressed men come over from the Inn and asked how the fishing is. I hold this lure up with my finger and said not too good right now. The  one fella says ,"Looks like a trip to the er". No way! I get a pair of side cutters out of the truck and asked the guy to cut the ring off the lure while I hold it. I  cut some line off and wrapped it around the hook. I then asked him to hold onto the line as I hold the end of the hook and jerked . The hook came flying out and the guy says ,"  Just like pulling teeth"! Thanked them for their help and back to fishing with a throbbing finger. Didn,t fish long though, needed some antibolics in me,( local pub)lol.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/30 18:49:09 (permalink)
    OUCH!!!!!!!!I take it the local pub was Rachel's Mika????

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/30 20:09:49 (permalink)
    Most embarassing moment but not mine. I was fishing the manchester hole early in the year this past fall , early september. After a day of work i decided to venture to the project waters of the nut for some late evening fishing. It was nice to see only 3 people there at the time lots of elbow room which is rare at the nut. Was having good time talking to this old timmer. Any ways for those of you who know the manchester hole there is a ledge on the west side that drops off. Well the more experienced gentleman i was talking to managed to step off the ledge. Mind you the water is very low and clear at this time. He managed to step off 3 times in the same spot. I did help him all 3 times to get out. For the life of him he couldnt figure out why he did that . But as we were fishing and talking every time he cast out he would inch ever so closer to that edge. He seemed to be more puzzled than emberaced each time he went off that edge. He was thankfull each time i helped him out and i was glad to help. The bad thing is i can see myself doing the exact same thing in the future. If i had to guess id say he was in his 70's. God bless the oldtimmers. I will never forget that day , etched in my mind like it was carved in stone.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Years Most embarrassing Moment 2008/05/30 23:07:52 (permalink)
    Beautiful Brian! I,ll probly be the next old guy you save. Lol.

Shut- naw, the Jughandle.

Jump to: