new to the board!

Author
yellowstratos
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 1
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/30 08:42:40 (permalink)

new to the board!

Looks like a great board here so I signed up!  I'm usually the Iceman on boards but that is already taken so I'll go with yellowstratos...
I live along the mohawk about 1/4 mile from lock 15...  I fish tournaments all over the area...  I just fished 2 days down to Cooperstown on Otsego lake... Any questions or comments give me a hollar...

3 Replies Related Threads

MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: new to the board! 2007/04/30 16:32:28 (permalink)
    Hey Stratos,
       Is good to see a local Mohawk River guy around here. Im from the lock 12 area. The smallies are absolutley on fire in the Schoharie Creek.  Good luck!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: new to the board! 2007/05/01 09:37:24 (permalink)
    Dan - I've heard of the Scoharie Smallie fishing being good...what town(s) are they getting them in? I traveled from Gilboa up to I-88 returning from the Catskills yesterday and the creek looked like chocolate milk for miles and miles. 
     Would love to check it out when the weather warms up but I'm clueless where to go. Also- any idea if the water is going to improve or is this a muddy-all-year thing like Esopus last year?
    MohawkRiverDan
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 102
    RE: new to the board! 2007/05/01 18:36:46 (permalink)
    NYY, Once she gets muddy she stay that way for a while. I was catching them around the thruway bridge and  the boat launch . Town of Ft Hunter. The Schoharie is slowly clearing up but the muddy water fishing is better than one would expect. The fish gotta eat and they adapt to conditions. For the spinning  rod I would recomend rattle-traps and things that "thump". Big jigs and spinner baits work pretty good in the muddy water too. I normaly fish muddy water with dark colors. Purple and black with some red or blue flash works best for me.
    Fly guys will want to go as big as they can cast. Go with something dark and something you can thump with the rod tip. Yesterday I was out and went fishless but I did notice some fish that I presumed to be bass taking bugs off of the surface.  They just dropped the lock here at lock 12 so the boat launch will be up and running soon. 

I primaraly fish the section from Burtonsville north all the way to the mouth. There is a lot of premo water in that section. I dont realy fish South of Burtonsville (witch is actualy up stream as it flows south to north) if I go that far south, Im going trout fishing. 

I could go on and on about the Schoharie, but I wont. If you have any more questions please feel free ask, I am more than happy to share.    
    Jump to: