NOT MUCH GOBBLING

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 11:40:18 (permalink)
WE WENT TODAY HEARD 5 DIFFERENT BIRDS HAD 3 OF THEM CLOSE THEY WOULD GOBBLE BUT WOULDN'T COME IN CLOSE ENOUGH.I THINK THE FULL STRUTER HAD SOMETHING TO DO WITH THAT.IS THERE A BETTER SETUP OF DECOYS I COULD TRY?I JUST THINK THE STRURER IS JUST TO INTIMIDATING TO SOME 2 YEAR OLD BIRDS.
post edited by chicken27 - 2008/04/30 14:37:47
countryfisher
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 168
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 12:24:22 (permalink)

got my first bird this morning, just a jake but you gotta start somewhere!
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 12:48:19 (permalink)
I LIKE YOUR CONFIDENCE READY2FISH BUT DON'T IT GET HARDER AS THE SEASON GETS LONGER?I WISH I WAS LIKE YOU WE'RE JUST 4 DAYS IN AN I'M ALREADY STRESSING.I USALLY KILL ONE ON THE FIRST DAY BUT HAD TO TAKE THE BROTHER IN LAW.I COULDN'T WALK AS MUCH AS I WOULD OF LIKE.SO I'M GETTING NERVOUS THINKING I WON'T KILL ONE THIS YEAR.WE NEED SOME NICER WEATHER I THINK WHAY DO YOU GUYS THINK?
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 14:41:47 (permalink)
Don't fret it. It only gets better...Killed alot of birds that 3rd and 4th week.

Congrats on that first bird....
post edited by bingsbaits - 2008/04/30 14:42:48

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 14:46:38 (permalink)
CONGRATS COUNTRYFISHER.
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 17:36:28 (permalink)
The Beast is dead, long live the beast.  I took today off (first day to get out-kids and little league...).  Worked several birds in the trees early, but they flew down to hens and got quiet in a major hurry.  At 8 am, I decided it was time for a quick breakfast and I would get back out to catch the birds after the hens had left.  On my second setup, at 10:15 I let a series of yelps and putts that were immediately replied to.  I setup right there against the tree I had called from.  Two minutes later, here he came and in a hurry.  At 20 feet, I purred and cutt a couple of times.  He stopped, snapped his wings down and threw the tail up, going into full strut.  Needless to say, I have a sufficient pattern at 20 feet.  As soon as he turned, game over.  This was a true giant (pictures on 35mm- stop laughing, the wife owns the digital).  He has 1 3/8 hooked spurs on each side (limb hanger with pictures), 10 3/4" beard, weight of 23 1/2 lbs. 

To Chicken, Bings is right, it only gets better.  Another tip, I would rather hunt from 10-12 than any other time.  Here's the thing, when the birds are with hens, even the best hunters can have difficulty with them.  But... get let the hens go to nest and the game changes.  Many toms will go silent, but those that gobble have one thing in mind and you better have your act together in a hurry.  Those are the birds that will be coming on a string.  Another thing, I almost never use decoys (including this morning).  I will use one once in a while particularly in large field settings, but other than that, they stay home.  I will not use a strutter (I am sure they are deadly), but people are going to get shot using these, it is only a matter time as more and more of them flood the market.  I really would be willing to bet that some of these will be outlawed in some states in the future.   
post edited by griffon - 2008/04/30 17:43:59
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 20:09:06 (permalink)
Like already mentioned, the later the season the better the hunting! I second the 10-12 AM hunting, best time of the day IMO.
I don't really care if I get a bird, I've taken my share over the last 27 years. I don't get stressed at all, time in the woods is what matters to me.

Congrats countryfisher and griffon! 
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 20:38:41 (permalink)
I WAS WONDER IF ANYBODY COULD HELP ME OUT.I THINK I'M A PRETTY GOOD CALLER WITH A MOUTH CALL BUT WHAT I DON'T KNOW IS HOW OFTEN TO CALL OR HOW LONG OF SERIES YOUR CALLS SHOULD BE.SHOULD I YELP AND MIX IN A CUTT OR A PURR ONCE IN A WHILE OR WHAT?I CALLED BIRDS IN FOR THE LAST FOUR YEARS IN A ROW BUT THEY WHERE FIRED UP.I NEED TO KNOW IF THEY'RE NOT TALKING WHAT KIND OF CALLING TO DO I WOULD REALLY APPERICATE SOME INPUT FROM YOU GUYS.                                     CONGRATS GRIFFON
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 20:42:32 (permalink)
GRIFFON WHERE WE HUNT IS MAINLY GAS WELLS OR OPENING FIELDS.THE WOODS ARE JUST TO THICK ALL GRAPEVINES AND UNDERBRUSH.DO YOU THINK WE COULD DO BETTER WITH A JAKE AND A COUPLE OF HEN DECOYS?
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 21:12:24 (permalink)
Chicken,  A jake and two hens is always a good option (I really like the Buckwing Jake).  As for the woods you hunt, there has to be some travel corridors (logging roads or right of ways) that the birds travel.  I would also bet that there are some open hardwoods close by that they frequent when they are not in the fields.  Turkeys will hang in the underbrush, but prefer more open cover where they can see danger and escape with relative ease.  More open cover usually provides better food sources such as acorns for them to scratch around and find. 

As for calling, listen to what the hens are doing.  Whatever they are doing to get together with the toms is what you should be doing that morning.  Even after the hens are with the birds, remember what just happened.  You may want to let the birds be for a couple hours and come back employing the same techniques.  Generally I fire them up with cutting and mixed series of yelps.  Once they commit, my yelps are either two or three notes and mixed in with soft cutts, putts, and purrs.  The purr-putt combination is absolutely deadly.  When you hear him spit, run your hand through the leaves like a scratching turkey, purr once putt twice and seal the deal.
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 21:23:18 (permalink)
THANKS GRIFFON FOR THE INFO GREATLY APPERICATE IT.I DON'T KNOW WHY I'M GETTING STRESSED I KNOW I CAN CALL THEM IN.I CALLED ONE IN FOR MY DAUGHTER AN THAT WEEK ALONE WE COULD OF KILLED EVERYTIME WE WENT EXCEPT ONE TIME.I JUST GET NERVOUS FAST ON THESE BIRDS.I REALLY WANT TO CALL ONE IN FOR MY OLD MAN. HE MUST THINK I CAN CALL NOW HE WOULD NEVER SET WITH ME BUT NOW HE'S LIKE A PUPPY DOG HE DON'T LEAVE MY SIDE.
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8505
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 22:59:38 (permalink)
Good job Grif. Nice bird. I,m with you on the wait till later. I,ll put more time in towards the end of the season. The bigger birds are really looking for that last hot hen.

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/04/30 23:30:11 (permalink)
I usually wait about a week and a half.  At that point guys have either bagged already, or they are tired of getting up at 4 in the morining and I have the woods to myself......My buddie had his decoys shot the first day.  Two idiots unloaded a 3 1/2 12 and a 9 shot .22 into them.....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/01 05:57:36 (permalink)
A 9 shot 22 ???? Those shells are basically worthless. Had a few and they wouldn't even kill a bullfrog at 10 yrds..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/01 13:28:18 (permalink)
HAD A GOOD DAY TODAY HAD TWO GOBBLING AT 6 BUT THEY JUST WOULDN'T COME.SO I LEFT AN TRY A 10 TO 12 HUNT.I WALKED MY BUT OFF COULDN'T GET ONE TO GOBBLE.ON THE WAY BACK TO THE CAR I SAW ONE FULL STRUT.IT WAS ALMOST 11:40.I HURRIED SETUP ON HIM I PURRED ONCE HE GOBBLE PURRED AGAIN 3 OF THEM GOBBLE.ONE COME IN LIKE A SUCKER ON A STRING BUT HUNG UP BECAUSE I WAS TO FAR IN THE WOODS.HE COMMITTE HE LIFE BUT I JUST SET UP WRONG.I GUESS YOU LEARNED SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY IN THE TURKEY WOODS.
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/01 16:38:36 (permalink)
On my way to the grocery store I stopped at the farm I often hunt and glassed the fields. As I got out of the car to glass the field just to see if I could see any birds I heard a shot about 250 yards from me.....looked at my watch, it was 12:25. A few minuts later a fellow came out of the woods carrying the biggest bird I ever seen. I had to harrass him about shooting the bird late. He wasn't to appreciative of my comments since he knew he shot the bird late because he left the bird along the trail and walked to the car empty handed. He later retrieved the bird and told me he had shot it about an hour before and it was just too heavy to carry the last 40 yards.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 06:55:43 (permalink)
Congrats to all who have succeeded.

I played hookie yesterday, I had a job interview in the afternoon so I figured screw it. Decided to try a place I hadnt been yet thinking everyone was at work. Guys were there when I got there. I wanted to go a different direction but unlike most, I respect people so I went the other direction. Got settled in started calling here and there. I think someone heard me cause about ten I heard what sounded like a fly down call above me. I didnt call back! Never saw a bird and never heard a gobble. I can only assume that was a guy.

I know where there are a few, but the huntable area is quite small. Im gonna try tomorrow but the dog has a 10am vet appt which kinda screws me.

If I get this new job, Ill be taking a week off and giving it my all. I really dont care if I kill one. Its so nice to sit out there and not freeze. The only bad thing is the bugs.
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 09:54:41 (permalink)
WE WNET AGAIN TODAY WE HEARD BIRDS EVERYWHERE THEY GOBBLE FOR 30 MINUTES STRAIGHT ON ROOST.AT DAYLIGHT I DID A FLY DOWN CACKLE FOUR OF THEM SOUNDED OFF(WE USE THE BLIND BAG TO MAKE IS SOUND REAL LIKE WINGS FLAPPING).WAITED A COUPLE OF MINUTES DID THREE SOFT YELPS THEY GOBBLE AGAIN.I TOLD MY BROTHER IN LAW THIS COULD BE THE DAY I DIDN'T CALL FOR ANOTHER TWENTY MINUTES NEVER HEARD ANOTHER BIRD.I UNDERSTAND ONE BIRD COULD BE HENED UP BUT NOT 7 OR 8 MAYBE MORE THEN THAT.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT HAPPEN TODAY? OR COULD THEY ALL BE HENED UP IF THIS POSSSIBLE.I ONLY HEARD ONE HEN YELPING.
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 10:41:58 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: chicken27

WE WNET AGAIN TODAY WE HEARD BIRDS EVERYWHERE THEY GOBBLE FOR 30 MINUTES STRAIGHT ON ROOST.AT DAYLIGHT I DID A FLY DOWN CACKLE FOUR OF THEM SOUNDED OFF(WE USE THE BLIND BAG TO MAKE IS SOUND REAL LIKE WINGS FLAPPING).WAITED A COUPLE OF MINUTES DID THREE SOFT YELPS THEY GOBBLE AGAIN.I TOLD MY BROTHER IN LAW THIS COULD BE THE DAY I DIDN'T CALL FOR ANOTHER TWENTY MINUTES NEVER HEARD ANOTHER BIRD.I UNDERSTAND ONE BIRD COULD BE HENED UP BUT NOT 7 OR 8 MAYBE MORE THEN THAT.CAN SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT HAPPEN TODAY? OR COULD THEY ALL BE HENED UP IF THIS POSSSIBLE.I ONLY HEARD ONE HEN YELPING.

Maybe they snuck in without calling and saw you before you saw them.
ready2fish
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 787
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 11:37:13 (permalink)
When you say you hear birds everywhere, how far are you from them? You need to bag the blind. Get a bird to respond and move in on him. A blind is ok for certain situations but if your set up where they don't want to come they are not going to come, period. And as far as them going quiet, most of the birds I kill don't make a peep coming in. They may gobble like mad but most come sneaking in looking for the hen. Remember, usually the hens go to the gobblers, we do it backwards, we try to call them to us. If your not set up in a place they feel comfortable coming to then they know somethings up.

Be patient, it will happen.

By the way, you only hearing 1 hen is normal. Most hen calling I hear is very soft and subtle. They may have hens with them and you may not even be hearing them. Quite often a hen wont make a peep if she has her boyfriend with her. Also, pecking order determines which mature gobblers breed. Often a subdominant gobbler won't come to hen calling because he is afraid of getting the smackdown by the dominant bird. They'll gobble like crazy becuase it's what they do but forget about breeding when big boy is still around.
post edited by ready2fish - 2008/05/02 11:41:34
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 12:50:59 (permalink)
I SAY WITHIN 100 TO 200 YARDS OF THEM WE HEARD THEM FLY UP LAST NIGHT.I DON'T LIKE TO USE A BLIND BUT THE WAY MY DAD MOVES AROUND IT'S ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE NOT TO.HOW CLOSE CAN WE GET TO THEM WITH OUT SPOOKING THEM?WE WENT AT 5:10 STILL PRETTY DARK OUT.IS GOOD TO DO A FLY DOWN CACKLE OR NOT?WHAT CAN OF CALL SHOULD FOLLOW THE CACKLE?
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 14:07:50 (permalink)
If your new to calling and spring hunting just soft call 2-3 times max while he is in the tree. Now he knows where you are. When he flies down call a bit louder one time and shut up and see what happens. If he heads your way don't call. If he stands out there or goes away call just a couple more times 10 min or so apart. Call too much or too loud and he will gobble his****off and wait for you. One down and one to go for me 20 1/2#  10" 1-1/8" spurs.
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 16:15:07 (permalink)
WHAT DO U MEAN BY CALL ONE TIME S-10? DOES THIS MEAN DO A SERIES OF YELPS OR CLUCKS?BEEN SPRING GOBBLER HUNTING FOR YEARS JUST TRYING TO BECOME A BETTER CALLER I KILLED MY FAIR SHARE.NOT TILL 4 YEARS I WAS ABLE TO CALL THEM IN.I'M JUST ASKING THESE QUESTION BECAUSE WE ARE STRUGGLING THIS YEAR.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 17:07:03 (permalink)
Two or three clucks each time when he is on the roost and a series of 4-5 yelps when he hits the ground. If he's alone and hot that's all it should take. If he takes off but is still gobbling sit tight and do a series of yelps every 10 min or so. Sometimes they will make a big circle looking for a hen but will come right back to you if none go to them. Lose the blind unless you are bow hunting and don't be afraid to call and then move closer to them if the folage and terrian allows it. You will bump some but kill a lot.
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 17:31:41 (permalink)
S-10 WHAT ABOUT PURRING?JUST PURR WHEN HE IS COMING OR MIX IT IN WITH THE YELPS?
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 20:32:31 (permalink)
You can do it either way but if you purr don't use it with loud yelps or clucks. I mostly use the purr and soft clucks on hard hunted birds or late in the season after they have been bombarded with the loud calling. hooting, etc. Most anything will work the first couple times they hear it but they get smart (or dead) quick. I very seldom call to birds before season for that reason.
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 20:46:52 (permalink)
I also like the 10-12:00 time frame. Once I realized you didn't quit after 8:00 probably 2/3 of my kills are between 10 and 12.
chicken27
Expert Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/02 21:39:50 (permalink)
S-10 ONE MORE QUICK QUESTION THEN I'LL YOU ALONE.MUST OF MY MOUTH CALLS I PREFER TO USE ARE MORE RASPY THEY SEEM TO MAKE ALOT BETTER CLUCKS,CACKLES AND NOT AS PITCHY.I WAS WONDER IS RASP THE ANWSER TO CALLING THEM OR DO HIGH PITCH SINGLE REEDS WORK BETTER?
S-10
Pro Angler
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/03 04:47:44 (permalink)
That may depend more on the user than anything.I have always used single when I could find them or else double. For the first dozen years they had a season several of us made out own with roof flashing and hospital rubber gloves. We killed a lot of birds with them. Hens make such a variaty of sounds that it's the setup rather than calling that makes the most difference. Griffons advice on turkeys is also very sound in my opinion.
braaap@aol.com
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 32
RE: NOT MUCH GOBBLING 2008/05/03 10:33:48 (permalink)
This morning got into the woods at about 5 go to set my blind up and kick a gobbler out of the tree above me i was pretty upset and thought the day was shot but set up anyways got the pretty boy and pretty girl set up didnt hear anything for awhile had a deer walk about 5 yards from my blind when it got out of sight i did a little calling and saw a coyote about 40 yards out checking out pretty boy so i called again and heard a gobble about 40 yards to my left so i decided to give up on the coyote and go for this bird so kept callin and the dumb thing hung up and would not come in gobbled probably 30 times but wld not get any closer so i took the jake challenger call and gave it a shake then did a little more calling and he wldnt gobble bout 2 minutes later he gobbled and it was real close saw him out of the corner of my eye about 8 yards from the blind he was heading right to the decoys until he saw the bright orange bag that i accidently left outside the blind he turned and started running so i shot him heres a picture ill post some better ones later these are just ones i got with my phone.... about 11 inch beard 3/4 inch spurs weighed about 20 lbs shot him at about 6:45

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 6
Jump to: