Panfish on Saratoga Lake?

Author
KayderossZ
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 110
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/19 17:24:10 (permalink)

Panfish on Saratoga Lake?

Anyone have any tips or advice for panfishing on Saratoga Lake.  Making my first trip tomorow-I'll post a report.  Just thought I could post a more positive report if anyone has any tricks.  I'm completely new to panfishing.  Thanks!

4 Replies Related Threads

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Panfish on Saratoga Lake? 2008/04/19 20:00:27 (permalink)
    Tough fishing Saratoga for even panfish if you don't have a boat to get you out on the water.  You can fish at the NYS Boat Launch just across the 9P bridge on the northern end of Saratoga Lake, but so does everyone else.
    Your best bet would be to stop at Saratoga Bait & Archery in the Stewart's Shopping Center (located just over the bridge and past the NYS Boat Launch).  They will give you an idea of what to use and where the panfish might be biting.  Nick, Rose or Tim have always been cooperative with new anglers trying the lake.
    You could also talk with Billy Perry at the Lake Lonely Boat Livery (that's off Crescent Avenue-a right at the traffic light top of hill off Exit 14 heading toward Saratoga Lake).  Just continue on Crescent Avenue until you get to the bridge crossing the creek and the Livery in on your left.  They have access to fishing on the property and from the bridge that crosses the outlet from Lake Lonely.  However, this spot is always crowded on the weekend.
    Believe it or not, but I've always had luck catching panfish on the Yaddo property with my grandson.  We have always done catch and release, but there are some nice panfish in there; as well as some hugh largemouth bass.

Eagle Ed

Eagle Ed
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: Panfish on Saratoga Lake? 2008/04/19 20:19:47 (permalink)
    Thanks Ed.  I should have been more specific though.  We have a boat and will be launching from the state ramp.  Any particular structure or depth we should be looking for?
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Panfish on Saratoga Lake? 2008/04/21 07:49:49 (permalink)
    Sorry I didn't get back soon enough to let you know they had the Head of Fish Regatta on that end of Saratoga Lake this past weekend.  Hope you had some luck, but if you didn't make sure you try the area off Fitch Road next time.  It is located South of the bridge and to the left once you get past the marina/houses on the left.  It runs all along the shoreline of 9P, but the best area is out about 200/300 yds from the shoreline opposite Fitch Road.
    My best luck from a boat has been using 1/8//1/16 jigs with chartuesse Mister Twister tails while jigging.  You can get bluegills, crappies, perch and other panfish in that area.  Also look for an area near an old evergreen tree sticking out of the water.
    Let me know how you made out Sunday.

Eagle Ed
    KayderossZ
    Avid Angler
    RE: Panfish on Saratoga Lake? 2008/04/21 20:49:30 (permalink)
    As it turns out I wound up fishing the area you are talking about.  We wound up using crappie jigs and minnows, with no luck at all on the crappie.  Then action looked slow for eveyone though, no boats were catching many fish at all.  In our search for fish, we wound up boating 2 pike and a nice walleye, pretty much accidentally.  Would have been nice if they were in season! 

Anyway, thanks for the advice, it is greatly appreciated.  Hopefully I will be getting out again this or next weekend, and I will post a report.
    Jump to: