Carp on a pin

Author
jonnyfishon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2089
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/16 23:26:22 (permalink)

Carp on a pin

Anybody ever center pin for carp?? Im gonna give it a shot . Any info would be killer. Thanks

5 Replies Related Threads

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Carp on a pin 2008/04/17 08:17:37 (permalink)
    treat them like steelhead, but instead of single eggs throw a kernel or two of corn.  They probably won't be line shy at first, but if you fish them hard enough they can get line shy.  I normally fished 4x fluoro tippet and then would back down to 6x.  They are a lot of fun, so go for it.

thanks
    rick
    Carphead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: Carp on a pin 2008/04/17 12:44:59 (permalink)
    Carp are one of the main reasons I got into pinning. One way that is easy for people new to pinning for carp is to rig up with a float so that the bait is touching bottom, and the float is actually laying on its side. When the cap picks up the bait the float will stand up or move away and down etc... This obviously is a stillwater tactic though. As far as moving water, you know how to fish pins and carp already I assume. Just use flies and baits you know carp will or should hit. You can start getting into scents, mixes, hair rigs, and the likes, but then you bypass all the basics one should pick up and learn first as a beginner. When you got the basics and you catch fish regularly, the move to the more difficult techniques. The more pressured the carp the more you have to stray away from what the masses are doing. Carp are very quick learners. Or should I say very cautious.
    Check the internet. There are a ton of sites devoted to the carp, a lot being from in and around the U.K.

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Carp on a pin 2008/04/17 18:32:56 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info. I have a little river by my house that is loaded with big carp and coy(orange and white)most of them are huge. We have caught some on the usual(corn and mullberries)I tried to fly fish for them But they would spit the hook before i could set it. I think the carp in my area are havard grads on crack. Im good with the pin but my concern is the second they feel the hook or float im guessing the will spit it. Im fishing from a kayak so im low it the water . Its all we have in my area nj sucks. The trout stocking is lame and i need a fix. Carp are a challenge if they were only pretty people would do nothing but fish for them. Thanks again.
    Carphead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: Carp on a pin 2008/04/17 21:21:32 (permalink)
    Jonny, thats one reason to hone your skills, then learn new techniques and rigs. Learn how to make boilies and match them up with hair rigs, one of the more simple, yet effective tactics for carp. Also try freelining homemade boilies or doughball.
    Fisherboy86
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 130
    RE: Carp on a pin 2008/04/21 11:41:40 (permalink)
    If you can see the carp, it can be quite easy. Chum them into a feeding mood, then target active fish.

River bridges are great because you can see them. We lay down a chum area of corn and wait for the fish to move in. Once you see a carp or two feeding, simply trot the float straight to the fish. It's a blast to watch a 15-20lber move a couple feet for one or two pieces of corn. You can fish the deeper holes this way, but you may be wasting allot of time if the carp aren't there, or aren't feeding. Simply put....carp are very moody. 4x Tippet, 5x if you have to, works well. For trotting, 1-2 kernels is good. For bottom fishing, I haven't seen too many carp turn down 7-8 hair rigged kernels.  

For a stillwater tactic, the one mentioned above is great.

I would also look into the hair rig. You rarely ever miss a fish, and it allows you to use a bigger hook since it is not attached to the bait.
    Jump to: