Presque Isle Bay/Lake Erie Fishing

Author
rjc003
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 76
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/16 10:17:01 (permalink)

Presque Isle Bay/Lake Erie Fishing

Hi guys. I'm going fishing at Presque Isle Bay for the first time. We're heading up the on May 10th and fishing several days. Since it's our first time, we're looking for any information about fishing the bay and the main lake for that time of the year. We plan on targeting smallmouths, but are not opposed to largemouths and pike. From what I understand the smallmouth come into the bay to spawn.  Can anyone give me information about where to fish in the bay (depths, locations) or what to use? Any tips will help. Also, we are hoping to get out into the main lake but are worried about taking a 17' aluminum bass boat out there, even in calm conditions. Is it possible to take a boat of this size out on the lake? And if so what depths do the smallies hold at this time of the year? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich

2 Replies Related Threads

mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Presque Isle Bay/Lake Erie Fishing 2008/04/16 10:32:09 (permalink)
    Presque Isle bay is small and bass can be almost anywhere in May.  I like the edge of the shipping channel and the channel into the marina.  Outside the bay can be good too.  Tube jigs work or troll with crawfih shad raps to locate fish.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Presque Isle Bay/Lake Erie Fishing 2008/04/16 11:21:18 (permalink)
    Google search old fishing articles to find out what works best at different times of year and different depths,water temp,etc. Lots of good stuff from Darl Black,keywords"Erie,smallmouth".With a 17 ft boat I'd only venture out on the main lake in the calmest of conditions and stay with 10 minutes ride of a launch,it can get rough out there real quick.With that size boat your all right anywhere in the bay.
    Jump to: