Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
rinkerstix
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 14
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/11 10:25:18 (permalink)

The Greeks BAC Bait shop!!

I went there to buy a pa registration for my canoe. The cost was 10 dollars, but he added 2 dollars on to it for "him". Is that legal to do? I mean it's a PA tag just like a fishing license. I didn't think it was legal to add a fee for "you" when you sell things that are registered by the state. However, I could be wrong. I'm not cryin over 2 bucks, but they seem to try to screw ya pricewise every chance they get. I miss Joe Hansen!!

36 Replies Related Threads

MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 11:20:52 (permalink)
    Greek or not, you get the fee if you act as an issuing agent for temporary registrations:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/faqregt.htm#5

Ah ha, I noticed you paid $10.  You must be talking about a "launch permit" instead.  I could not determine if an agent fee applies, but I assume it would.  Call the PFBC if you think there was a problem.  I don't think they would look kindly on unauthorized charges from authorized agents, even if they are Greek.
    post edited by MackJ - 2008/04/11 11:29:50
    rinkerstix
    New Angler
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 11:28:08 (permalink)
    Ahhh I got ya....I just thought it was them being cheap again. Like when ya ask for a dozen minnows and they give you exactly 12.
    post edited by rinkerstix - 2008/04/11 11:29:04
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 11:32:33 (permalink)
    Hmm, you pay for a dozen minnows and they only give you twelve.  Maybe if you request change for a twenty, they will only give you a ten and two fives as well.  Can't trust anyone nowadays.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 12:49:11 (permalink)
    I don't think they would look kindly on unauthorized charges from authorized agents

We don't look kindly on folks who don't look kindly around here.

"even if they are Greek."   
    John 316
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 14:51:55 (permalink)
    MackJ, 

We all prefer Poor Richards for minnows.  BAC gives 12 minnows, Poor Richards gives a bakers dozen with another dozen in case the first twelve die due to Steely Bite!
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 17:17:41 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: John 3:16

MackJ, 

We all prefer Poor Richards for minnows.  BAC gives 12 minnows, Poor Richards gives a bakers dozen with another dozen in case the first twelve die due to Steely Bite!

Not me, I prefer BAC for minnows, and overall service too.

But that discussion has been beaten to death and brought back to life 10 times.
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 22:17:52 (permalink)
    Who is the cheap one,complaining over one extra minnow.This is not a bakery.God forbid if someone has to charge an agent fee because that is so much money that is going toward their Mercedes parked out back.And who cares if they are Greek or Vietnamese,as long as you can get bait.Get real.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 22:22:37 (permalink)
    I ask for two dozen,$6,I can't use them all in one day.They sure don't count them when i get them from BAC.As far as not crying over $2,sure sounds like it!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/11 23:15:30 (permalink)
    I've gone to the BAC at Rt. 5 west and I must say they are more than generous when it comes to minnows or shiners you buy.  I have also encountered the same from the other bait shops I have patronized in Erie.  I guess I'm just lucky to have had nothing but good experiences up there.  However, why the obvious jab about the "Greek" thing?  Is it because some of the guys have a foreign accent that bothers you or the fact that they are foreign?  If not, you sure make it sound that way.  If you had such a big problem about the 2 bucks, maybe you should have asked him directly about it rather than posting your problem here.  If you had done so, this post would probably not even exist.

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 05:13:05 (permalink)
    "However, I could be wrong. I'm not cryin over 2 bucks, but they seem to try to screw ya pricewise every chance they get."

Then why did you go there? You could get the permit at Walnut access, the park office on the penninsula, or several other locations.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 05:15:28 (permalink)
     "If you had such a big problem about the 2 bucks, maybe you should have asked him directly about it rather than posting your problem here."

Shut,

That seems to be a common theme here. We, as Americans have been conditioned to vent ( cry ), rather than confront.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2008/04/12 05:16:23

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 09:18:45 (permalink)
    Maybe if ya bought something more than just some minnows they'd be alot more generous...

Some bait shops just know who to treat right when they walk in the door....

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Hookin Up
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 118
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 09:53:59 (permalink)
    If your going to have a problem with someone thats fine, but don't have a problem with them because of there race or ethnic back ground.
    post edited by Hookin Up - 2008/04/12 10:10:44
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 10:15:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

Maybe if ya bought something more than just some minnows they'd be alot more generous...

lol...

Knowing those guys, they'd probably charge him an additional 2 bucks for labor. Adding addition things to put inside a bag cost them, ya know!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    rinkerstix
    New Angler
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 10:46:16 (permalink)
    Say what you want, I have never heard really bad things about Poor Richards, Smitty's, or Hansons when he was around. I have had terrible service and not been treated very well at BAC. The trouble is, when you fish the PI it doesn't make sense to drive all the way to Smitty's or Poor Richards from where I live. I'd pay more in gas. So, realistically I am stuck going to BAC. I just don't really like giving my money to a place that treats their customers like crap. I know alot of people that will travel many extra miles to go to the other baitshops due to the treatment they have gotten at BAC. If you like BAC, have at it. This is a message board and I am allowed to have my own opinions as are you!!
    rinkerstix
    New Angler
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 11:08:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Hookin Up

If your going to have a problem with someone thats fine, but don't have a problem with them because of there race or ethnic back ground.

I use to rent an apt next to the Peninsula Dinor. They make awesome "Greek" sauce there. We use to call the guy "the greek" as did others to his face. It wasn't a prejudicial thing, just simply a nickname, well he was a brother to the guy that owns the BAC. If I offended anyone by using that term "greek", I apologize, but I will say if someone called me the American I would be much obliged, in fact maybe I will change that to my username.
    Nasty_Hook
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 14:06:26 (permalink)
    I gotta agree with the rinkerstix about the minnows.  It's happened to me at the BAC too. It's cheaper to buy feeder goldfish at Buzz N' Bees than minnows there!  I guess we all just miss the good old days of Hansens when Joe would be filling up your bucket with minnows with a cigarette in his mouth with a three inch ash that never seemed to break off and fall into your bucket.  And he always wanted to know how you were doing if he knew you or where you were from if you were from out of town.  Always quick with a tip on where to go to catch whatever you were after that day too.  A "couple dozen" meant a full bucket at a fair price.  Hansens was just one of those local place that made Erie "local".  A great way to start off a day of fishing rather than feeling like you just became a part of the big "summer fishing tourism cash grab".  Like many other things nowadays, it business people running a business now.  We get our hammers from Lowes instead of Don Smith's, TVs from Best Buy instead of Mace Electronics, and bait from BAC.   It's all about the bottom line and not the fishing line now. 
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 14:21:01 (permalink)

amen,  very good post.

rinkerstix
    New Angler
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 14:30:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: rapala11

amen,  very good post.

Nobody on this board said the reason BAC stinks is because they are Greek. He is Greek and it's a nickname most people have for them. I support the Greekfest every year and enjoy everything it's about. Please don't bring this into an OJ Simpson racial ordeal.
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 14:41:19 (permalink)

"The Greeks BAC Bait shop!!"

i have only been there once or twice, so from reading the title to this post, i only assumed.........
    post edited by rapala11 - 2008/04/12 14:43:04

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 15:53:46 (permalink)

In my business and EVERY busines ALL customers should be treated right!
    There are no "Really Good" customers in my line of work. Because they are ALL really good customers if they spend thier money with my company.

I don't care if it's $1.00 or $1,000,000................

And that ladies and gentleman is called good customer service!

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2647
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 15:57:24 (permalink)
    as was previously posted, if you have a problem with the additional charge, why didnt you ask them when you were purchasing the permit? also, its never too late to say something. go back in and ask, or call them. while youre at it why not also question their minnow count. why not tell them what you posted about "exactly getting 12." maybe next time theyll hook you up with more. SOUNDS like youre going to continue to go there(could be wrong), so why not nip it in the bud?
    D.T.FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 16:05:31 (permalink)
    Same here mike. Good point. I've been jewed at the greeks more than once

If your gonna mess with the Kings Queens you better watch your Ace Jack!
    D.T.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 16:32:05 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mikeg

In my business and EVERY busines ALL customers should be treated right!
    There are no "Really Good" customers in my line of work. Because they are ALL really good customers if they spend thier money with my company.

I don't care if it's $1.00 or $1,000,000................

And that ladies and gentleman is called good customer service!

absolutely. the guy that only has a $1 today may have a million $$$ tommorrow. treated properly and he and his friends will come back to spend more.
    *commander*
    Pro Angler
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/12 16:34:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D.T.FISH

Same here mike. Good point. I've been jewed at the greeks more than once

get you once shame on them, get you twice shame on you. you bronco fans will go back for a third.

easy D.T., just joking.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/13 21:44:04 (permalink)
    Jewed.?
    smallmouth76
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 171
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/13 22:16:55 (permalink)
    I would personally like to thank the greeks for bringing the greasy delicious gyro to all fairs, carnivals, and sporting events. I cant get enough of those things.
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/13 22:38:58 (permalink)
    I would agree that BAC is kinda stingy with the bait most of the time.  I remember once I asked for 2 dozen goldens and then I picked up some hooks instead of watching him fill the bucket.  I never looked in the bucket till I went to dump them in the well. While there was 25, I only had 16 live goldens, the rest were clearly dead. When I went in to complain he claimed that I had switched em to try and get free bait. 

Of course to balance that was the one time the "Head Greek" was in a really awesome mood for some reason. (yes I know its hard to believe he could be in a good mood but he was.  He was even talking nice to his employees!)  I only asked for a dozen but he told the guy to give me a whole netful.  I'd say I got about 5 doz.

Personally I prefer andy over at the presque angler.  Its on the other side of town for alot of folks but if youre going that way stop by.  I hope hes still there.  They kinda hinted to me that they might shut down at the end of last year.
    sheephead4sale
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: The Greeks BAC Bait shop!! 2008/04/14 13:43:11 (permalink)
    Look, I gotta agree with RinkerStix and the Nasty Hook.  When I used to fish "Mup here" we all knew it was just the "Mup heres" that went to the Greek because he counted the bait and you never got "a little extra".

Let's face it, that guy that said "Let's see you paid for 12, you got twelve, go figure."  He's obviously from Pittsburgh.  Everybody knows it, when you're local you went to Hansen's because he treated you with that pride and respect you deserved.

Hook said it right.  How many of us can picture Joe with his cigarette hangling there, sloshing shiners in a bucket.  Sometimes you got so **** many 30 of 'em were dead by the time you got to the boat.  But ol Joe knew that was a good thing too.  You could use those to chum in the garpike just as well.

The Greek, he just don't get it.  He don't give you that Erie-respect.  And it's nothing racial, I love Greeks and Greek food.  Ain't nuthin like some Greek Fries at Taki's after a long night of drinking.  (That is, if the Creekers don't get you on the way there.)

And all those who say they never heard "The Greek" as a nickname, here's why:  YOU"RE MUP HERE FROM PITTSBURGH AND THAT!!!!!

Remember one time I seen some of you'ins and you said, "Hey what kinda fish I got here. 

I took one look and saw it was a sheephead, but didn't want to ruin their day.

I said, "Thems Pittsburgh Bass, and they good eatin'"

You shoulda seen those Mup Here's grinning from ear to ear.

"Gonna have y'ins a feast tonight I told him!"

Those were the good ol days.  The days when you got 40 minnows for a buck, when you caught some fish, and had a good time.  Oh, and you waved at The Greek's when you passed it by.  But no stopping.  Not for locals anyway! 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: