Kicker Motors

Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/09 02:18:06 (permalink)

Kicker Motors

I am mounting the kicker up this weekend and was wondering which side of the boat you guys have yours mounted on.  Here is my dilemma.
the ladder is currently mounted on the port side.  I can move it but it will require reworking some of the metal mounts.  Not a big deal, but then the motor control cables needed get much longer as well.  The starboard side of my boat is open, I can mount it there, with the obvious disadvantage of having it on the same side as the captain as far as weight distribution goes.  The Boat is a 24' slickcraft.  Plenty heavy.
Just wondering if any of you guys have mounted on the starboard side and whether or not it has worked out for you.

Better too far back, than too far forward.

5 Replies Related Threads

Roy D. Mercer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Kicker Motors 2008/04/09 03:33:01 (permalink)
    Don't know your setup, but if it's too much trouble dealing with the control cables and such, if your battey is on the starboard, move it instead. Much easier, and if you haven't already, go to dual battery system for both weight distribution and safety's sake. It's nice knowing you have a backup out on the lake. I had some issues with control cables and tried to reposition them from the original setup, but quickly found that cable bind became an issue.   Just a suggestion.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Kicker Motors 2008/04/09 04:15:52 (permalink)
    boat is an i/o 350 dual battery.  Like I said I think I am heavy enough (the boat that is) that it is no big deal.  Just wondered if anyones else has.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Kicker Motors 2008/04/09 06:49:00 (permalink)
    Port side for the kicker.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Kicker Motors 2008/04/09 08:40:12 (permalink)
    I mounted mine on the port side. batteries right there.  Only real problem is if you have a throttle setup....that is an awful long way to wire in your motor.

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Kicker Motors 2008/04/09 17:06:03 (permalink)
    Depends on how big your kicker is.  If you're talking about a 9.9 they don't weigh much, but if you're talking bigger then who knows.  Since most guys on Erie run 9.9's for my argument I'll assume that's what you have...

The kicker on my boat is on the starboard and was on my dad's boat.  Mine is a small 16' and it does make things a bit****eyed when I'm by myself.  My dad's boat was a 20' 4 Winns and you couldn't even tell that there was any additional weight on that side of the boat.  Personal oppinion, you have a big enough boat that the weight shouldn't matter so go with whatever is easiest.  And acctually now that I think about it everyone I know that has a kicker has their's mounted on the same side as the wheel.  I say it that way since my uncle has a center console and the wheel is on the port, as well as the kicker.  Like I said, whatever is easiest.
    Jump to: