CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS

Author
captnkirk
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 274
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/07 07:13:58 (permalink)

CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS

Just a little heads up as I have not seen any thing in the paper about this. Just received a letter from the PFBC that you can no longer use regular salted minnows for inland waters. The new reg's state that they must be certified salted minnows, unless you are fishing lake Erie or the lake Erie Trib's. Hate to see anyone get pinched.

East End Angler Bait & Tackle 4702 East Lake Rd
(814)898-3474

28 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS 2008/04/07 07:27:36 (permalink)
    Yes and watch some of the packages of Emerald shiners at China-Mart. Some have the VHS free sticker and some of them did not have it. I think it could get you pinched.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS 2008/04/07 08:00:13 (permalink)
    Was told that most of them were pulled from the shelf. My buddy was at Gander Mountain and asked the clerk about the package marked Salted Emerald Shiners, if he could use them in Broken Strawl creek and was told yes. He then informed him of the new reg's. Just would hate to see a complete section of water get all the fish killed for a couple of years due to someone not knowing about VHS.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS 2008/04/07 12:27:27 (permalink)
    thanx for the heads up!
    where do i go to get the minnows i catch out of streams and then salt them myself? are they tatooed like usda meat?
    post edited by doubletaper - 2008/04/07 12:30:06

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

D.T.FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS 2008/04/10 21:17:28 (permalink)
    So Kirk, do you have them or not? Enquiring minds want to know.

If your gonna mess with the Kings Queens you better watch your Ace Jack!
    D.T.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS 2008/04/10 21:37:53 (permalink)
    I was in his shop the other day and he did have them then

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 21:49:11 (permalink)
    How'd they taste????
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 21:54:15 (permalink)
    Like chicken....

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 21:58:51 (permalink)
    ...salty chicken.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 22:05:28 (permalink)
    Quick question:

Are NON-certified minnies allowed on Erie tribs SOUTH of I90????????

I've heard they aren't, but does anyone really know for sure?  You'd think that as long as you're on a Lake Erie trib, you'd be okay.  I have a bunch left from last weekend, and may have my youngin's using them out on Elk Saturday, but have heard that 90 is the geographical cut-off. 

True???  Inquiring mind wants to know.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 22:42:04 (permalink)
    Yes, they are allowed on Erie tribs south of I-90.   They are NOT allowed out of the LAKE ERIE wathershed.  There have been a few references to  the Area south of I-90 by different folks(at meetings I've been at) who gave that as a general area outside the lake Erie watershed, but that is very inaccurate and I'm not sure where they came up with that.  If you're fishing a stream that you know runs into lake Erie, your safe. Other than that, go for Certified VHS free.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 22:58:35 (permalink)
    This might be a stoopid question, but why not use certified VHS free minnows everywhere???? I know its already in the Lake Erie system, but wouldn't that just make things easier, I mean what if there is a new strain that isn't prominent and you wind up introducing more of it...

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 23:12:30 (permalink)
    I believe the majority of bait shops have gone to certified bait. However many anglers net, and seine emeralds from the lake, or lower ends. They would not be certified, yet should be legal in the waters from which they were taken. How could you introduce a new strain into the system, via bait TAKEN from the system? Those fishing outside the watershed, NEED to either purchase certified bait, or trap/net bait from the watershed THEY are fishing.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 23:16:48 (permalink)
    Tippy,

There ARE no stupid questions. Just stupid people, WITH questions.

Sorry, had to take one little shot, and you ARE after all a Phlyers Phan.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 23:21:07 (permalink)
    Its all good. You misspelled stoopid

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/10 23:23:11 (permalink)
    Oops forgot to use gurucheck.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 01:11:59 (permalink)
    Remmeber guys this ban is also on fish eggs as well no egg sacs skien singles are aloud in waters outside of erie watershed as well. not sure how one would go about getting eggs certified vhs free though.

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 08:16:42 (permalink)
    egg sac, you are mistaken on the egg restriction.
    March 21 2008 Notices Department of Agriculture and Pennsylvania fish and boat Commission. This is where it becomes a little off color. Order The Department amends Paragraph 2 of the General Quarantine Order and Interstate Quarantine Order it issued with respect to VHS  AS published at 37pa.b.5534 to read in its entirety as follows.
    I'll cut it short and get to brass tacks.
    The change in Paragraph 2 is written(The term "VHS-susceptible species" Does not include the eggs of these species. Go figure.

As far as certified bait is concerned the use of Emerald shiners should NOT be used in any other waters other than its origin. Keep Emerald shiners in lake Erie and use alternative bait (fatheads and golden shiners) On inland lakes and streams, this would solve the issue of uncertified bait making its way inland at the same time making it possible for bait suppliers to support the sport fishing industry on the great lakes.

Certified bait has reached unprecedented cost and will continue to rise do to the cost and lag time involved in the certification proses. Not to mention the gas prices involved in shipping. One five gallon bucket of certified bait is at present $300.00 And is expected to increase to $80.00 a gallon by July.
    Erie County's fishing license sales peak at just over 40,000, second largest in sales out of 67 counties in the commonwealth. Impassively a little over 9,000 of the 40,000 license sales are from non-residents and 3 and 7 day tourist anglers.Lake Erie great fisheries is with out question a major contributer to the sport fishing industry of the commonwealth.

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 10:29:28 (permalink)
    Presquisleanglr,

Sorry but I just got off the phone with the main office in Harrisburgh and they told me at this time all fish and parts of fish including eggs( obtained from great lakes fish) are off limts to any inland waters and are only able to be used in the lake erie watershed.And if any use such in inland waters and get caught doing so will be subject to fines and or jail time or both. Was told that untill more resurch is done to see if the eggs from a fish can truely contaminate other watersheds every part of any great lakes fish will be off limts to be used in inland waters. Not trying to start any heated debait with you but this information is straight from the head people at the main office in harrisburgh. Also to ythe person that asked thieris no set I-90 rule either that is just a generalized line to better help people understand the imaginary borders of the erie watershed. Was told any and all tribs and tribs of tribs that flow into lake erie you were still able to use fish or fish parts obtained from the great lakes. With this in mind you could legaly use live or salted minnows single eggs egg sacs and skien in the farthest most upper areas of conneaut creek in crawford county.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 10:40:52 (permalink)
    Your high school language teachers should be ashamed of the two of you.

I certainly won't be happy if I have to call Harrisburg every **** time I go fishing.  These rules should be CLEARLY stated on the website, and I can't find anything about eggs NOT being legal. 

Eggy, tell 'em to pound salt for me the next time you're on the phone with them.

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 10:44:46 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Stillhead

Yes, they are allowed on Erie tribs south of I-90.   They are NOT allowed out of the LAKE ERIE wathershed.  There have been a few references to  the Area south of I-90 by different folks(at meetings I've been at) who gave that as a general area outside the lake Erie watershed, but that is very inaccurate and I'm not sure where they came up with that.  If you're fishing a stream that you know runs into lake Erie, your safe. Other than that, go for Certified VHS free.

Thanks, duud.

I believe it was at a meeting that I heard this, and didn't really worry about it until now, as I never use them for steel.  But, since I have them, I figure let the kiddies use them if legal.
    Presquisleanglr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 185
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 11:14:03 (permalink)
    Egg sac,

I had the same conversation myself last week, and it all comes down to who you are talking to at the time.
    On the legal spectrum as of March 21 2008 the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Bureau of animal health and diagnostic services in conjunction with the Pennsylvania fish and boat commission forwarded a Amendment of Quarantine Order; Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus. To all Dealers Licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture Other bait dealers.
    This would be the same letter that this post was started with by catnkirk. And it clearly makes Amends to the eggs of susceptible species.
    It is quite obvious that you are a concerned angler or you would not have expended the effort to clarify this for your self.
    I appreciate your effort in this matter,So Hit the Pennsylvania Bulletin (37 pa.b.6428) and you will uncover the notice of amendment of Quarantine Order. section 2 last sentence.
    I personally believe that no bait from the great lakes(certified or not) should be used inland of the great lakes water shed, fish bait or egg bait.
    The reasoning behind the Amendment of Quarantine Order, however simple but complicated would be;Most if not all fish egg bait comes from the great lakes water shed.That would include all jarred fish eggs (mikes eggs) Under the previous Quarantine order prior to March 21 2008 would be illegal to ship sell or trade. Simple no salmon eggs could be sold in any store unless certified VHS free. AND THAT WAS NOT A FEASIBLE OPTION .
    Andy Daniels
    Presque Isle Angler bait and tackle.
    post edited by Presquisleanglr - 2008/04/11 11:36:30
    CKM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 12:11:10 (permalink)
    From the PFBC Website:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/fishpub/summary/lakeerie.html

"An infectious fish disease, caused by a variant of Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus (VHS), has caused fish mortalities in the Great Lakes. The initial list of fish species that are susceptible to VHS includes black crappie, bluegill, bluntnose minnow, brown bullhead, brown trout, burbot, channel catfish, chinook salmon, coho salmon, emerald shiner, freshwater drum, gizzard shad, herring, largemouth bass, muskellunge, northern pike, pink salmon, pumpkinseed, rainbow trout, redhorse sucker, rock bass, smallmouth bass, walleye, white bass, white perch, whitefish and yellow perch.

It is unlawful to transport or cause the transportation of VHS-susceptible species of fish out of the portion of the Lake Erie Watershed in this Commonwealth into other watersheds of this Commonwealth except when certain conditions are met. It is illegal to use VHS-susceptible fish species, fish parts and eggs taken from the Lake Erie Watershed as fishbait in Commonwealth waters outside the Lake Erie Watershed except when the fish are certified as VHS-negative. It is legal to transport dead recreationally caught fish out of the Lake Erie Watershed solely for the purpose of human consumption."
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 12:45:06 (permalink)
    Thanks.  I missed that somehow.  Not much of a bait fisherman anyways.  Throw flies and spinners for trout.  You can't go wrong there. 

Then again, there's another question that may need to be asked of our wonderful commission...

Is there anything wrong with worms????

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 13:23:39 (permalink)
    Presquisleanglr,

I looked all over the pa bulliten and could not find any amedments to the law. please post a link to said such so I can see this with my own eyes. All I was able to find was this

VHS-Susceptible Species of Fish
    [37 Pa.B. 6478]
    [Saturday, December 8, 2007]

Under 58 Pa. Code § 69.3 (relating to transportation of VHS-susceptible fish out of the Lake Erie watershed), which will go into effect on January 1, 2008, it is unlawful to transport or cause the transportation of fish susceptible to Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia (VHS) out of the portion of the Lake Erie watershed in this Commonwealth into other watersheds of this Commonwealth except when certain conditions are met. Section 69.3 further provides that for purposes of the section, species of fish that are VHS-susceptible are those species that the Fish and Boat Commission (Commission) has defined by the notice published in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.

For purposes of section 69.3, the Commission has defined the following species of fish as those that are VHS-susceptible, effective January 1, 2008:

Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)
    Bluntnose minnow (Pimephales notatus)
    Brown trout (Salmo trutta)
    Bullhead catfish (Ameiurus spp)
    Burbot (Lota lota)
    Channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus)
    Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha)
    Crappie (Pomoxis spp)
    Emerald shiner (Notropis atherinoides)
    Freshwater drum (Aplodinotus grunniens)
    Gizzard shad (Dorosoma cepedianum)
    Lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis)
    Largemouth bass (Micropterus salmoides)
    Muskellunge (Esox masquinongy)
    Northern pike (Esox lucius)
    Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus)
    Rainbow trout/steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
    Redhorse sucker (Moxostoma spp)
    Rock bass (Ambloplites rupestris)
    Smallmouth bass (Micropterus dolomieu)
    Spottail shiner (Notropis hudsonius)
    Trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
    Walleye (Sander vitreus)
    White bass (Morone chrysops)
    White perch (Morone americana)
    Yellow perch (Perca flavescens)

DOUGLAS J. AUSTEN, Ph.D.,
    Executive Director

the link for this is http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol37/37-49/2228.html

egg sac
    Expert Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 13:31:49 (permalink)
    ok just found the link you were talking about
    http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol37/37-49/2209.html

The term ''VHS-susceptible species'' does not include the eggs of these species.

Amendment of Quarantine Order; Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia Virus
    [37 Pa.B. 6428]
    [Saturday, December 8, 2007]

Recitals

A. Viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS) is an infectious disease caused by a rhabdovirus--the viral hemorrhagic septicemia virus (VHSV)--in a variety of fish species.

B. VHS has been designated a ''dangerous transmissible disease'' of animals under a temporary order issued by the Department of Agriculture (Department) under 3 Pa.C.S. § 2321(d) (relating to dangerous transmissible diseases). The current temporary order making this designation was published at 36 Pa.B. 7974 (December 30, 2006).

C. The Department has broad authority under the Domestic Animal Law to regulate the keeping and handling of domestic animals to exclude, contain or eliminate dangerous transmissible diseases.

D. VHS has caused death losses to various fish species in the Great Lakes and other infected waterways.

E. VHS is of particular concern to Pennsylvania's aquaculture industry, in that its presence and impact may severely limit the market for Pennsylvania-produced fish and fish products.

F. VHS virus exists within the Lake Erie and Lake Ontario Watersheds, which includes portions of Crawford, Erie and Potter Counties.

G. The Department registers ''artificial propagators'' of fish and ''dealers'' of fish under 3 Pa.C.S. §§ 4201--4223 (relating to Aquacultural Development Law). There are the Department-registered artificial propagators and dealers within the Lake Erie and the Lake Ontario Watersheds.

H. VHS virus exists in several States outside this Commonwealth, including Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Minnesota, New York, Ohio and Wisconsin.

I. There is no known treatment for VHS infection, no vaccine against this disease and no feasible live animal test that can detect the presence of VHSV.

J. The Domestic Animal Law allows at 3 Pa.C.S. § 2329 (relating to quarantine) for the establishment of a Quarantine Order under the circumstances described previously.

K. PDA established a VHS-related quarantine by Order of October 13, 2007. This was published at 37 Pa.B. 5534.

L. The referenced October 13, 2007, Quarantine Order incorporated the then-current list of ''VHS-susceptible species'' developed by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA APHIS). USDA APHIS has since revised that list--adding some species to the list, deleting some species and clarifying the names of some species.

M. PDA seeks to amend its October 13, 2007, Quarantine Order by revising the definition of ''VHS-susceptible species'' to track with current USDA APHIS thinking on this subject.

Order

The Department amends Paragraph 2 of the General Quarantine Order and Interstate Quarantine Order it issued with respect to VHS on October 13, 2007, as published at 37 Pa.B. 5534, to read in its entirety as follows:

2. VHS-susceptible species. For purposes of this order, the term ''VHS-susceptible species'' shall include live animals, dead animals and dead animal parts of the following fish species, as well as any other fish species designated ''VHS-susceptible species'' by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA APHIS) after the effective date of this Order:
    Black Crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus), Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus), Bluntnose Minnow (Pime-phales notatus), Brown Bullhead (Ictalurus nebulosus), Brown Trout (Salmo trutta), Burbot (Lota lota), Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus), Chinook Salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha), Emerald Shiner (Notropis atherinoides), Freshwater Drum (Aplodino-tus grunniens), Gizzard Shad (Dorosoma cepedia-num), Lake Whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis), Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides), Muskellunge (Esox masquinongy), Pike (Esox lucius), Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus), Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss), Rock Bass (Ambloplites rupestris), Round Goby (Neogobius melanostomus), Shorthead redhorse (Moxostoma macrolepidoptum), Silver redhorse (Moxostoma anisurum), Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu), Spottail shiner (Notropis hudsonius), Trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus), Walleye (Sander vitreus), White Bass (Morone chrysops), White Perch (Morone americana), Yellow Perch (Perca flavescens). The term ''VHS-susceptible species'' does not include the eggs of these species.

The term ''VHS-susceptible species'' does not include any of the previously-listed species if it is no longer designated a ''VHS-susceptible species'' by USDA APHIS after the date of this Order.

The referenced General Quarantine Order and Interstate Quarantine Order issued with respect to VHS on October 13, 2007, shall remain in full force and effect, with the amendment stated previously.

This Order is immediately effective on this date, and shall remain in effect unless rescinded or modified by subsequent order.

This Order shall not be construed as limiting the Department's authority to establish additional quarantine or testing requirements relating to VHS.

CKM
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 14:08:57 (permalink)
    There are two regulatory agencies overseeing bait in Pennsylvania.  The PA Department of Agriculture (PADA) and the PFBC.  The  amended order that egg sac cites is from the PADA. 

There is an additional amended order by the PFBC (http://www.pabulletin.com/secure/data/vol37/37-49/2199.html) that stipulates:

"The Commission also adopted restrictions on the use of VHS-susceptible fish, parts thereof or their eggs as fishbait in Commonwealth waters outside the Lake Erie watershed." within that order.”

I think this order covers the egg issue.
    post edited by CKM - 2008/04/11 14:22:07
    seejib
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 268
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 14:59:10 (permalink)
    Hold on. If I go to Warren, buy bait in warren. If I fish in the Erie watershead, buy bait in Erie. Sounds simple to me. If there isn't a bait shop where your fishin I guess you need to learn how to use flies or spoons or roostertails or power bait or cheese...lol
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: CERTIFIED SALTED MINNOWS, not just for breakfast anymore. 2008/04/11 15:05:57 (permalink)
    Don't forget corn.
    Jump to: