Fish ABOUND!

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
meatball1977
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/09 16:01:38 (permalink)
minnows?.....where? coming for perch...any ideas
post edited by meatball1977 - 2008/04/09 16:05:33
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/09 16:20:07 (permalink)
I did not see any perch in the streams.  Try PI bay.

pax vobiscum +
meatball1977
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/09 17:00:21 (permalink)
very funny
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/09 19:17:11 (permalink)
big steel jack in my 15 years of fishing elk creek i definatley noticed the steel lingering longer do you think though all the in breeding from trout run stock still may have some traces of manistees in them i grew up in ct and fished ny before moving here and the spring steel in the streams up around watertown ny sandys etc,resembled true steelhead from the west coast,i think back then late 80s early 90s they used salmon river ny fish but the original egg source might have been chambers creek strain or maybe manistee but they sure did resemble the chromers of elk say back in the early early 90s

I have become comfortably numb
bigsteeljack
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 17
RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/10 15:21:02 (permalink)
pafc pulls fish out of trout run a couple of times a year. all you need is a few manistees from ohio to go up with the pa fish and get taken to slowly breed in a spring running instinct. once you start doing that every year some fish will have a stronger spring run instinct that others. this is just a theory of mine. personally i have also noticed over the past several years an increase of average size.
Stillhead
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1887
RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/10 20:40:11 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bigsteeljack

ohio stocks the manistee strain. they stock their fish at the mouths of the streams unlike pa that dumps them in upstream from the mouths. being that they are stocked lower they don't imprint very well. basically any moving water is likely to get a fish in it. same goes really for pa fish. many of them run up conneaut and such before pa did the stocking. most of these fish are in the streams less than a month, maybe two. then they are out to the lake. that amount of time is not long enough for them to imprint very well. in streams with native fish the steelhead will stay for a year before they venture out. that is why you see many steelhead in streams that don't get stocked with them. i have the privledge of watching elk year round. in the almost 20 years of growing up on that stream the amount of fish that run in the spring has drastically increased through the years. as i stated in a previous thread, there are differences between the fall run fish and spring runs. fall runs will come in and stay in pools for the correct temps so they can try to spawn. our falls have been rather dry so the fish can't do anything but sit and wait. thus they build up in the pools. spring run fish do not need to do that. they are running when the temps are already right for them. there is no need to wait. they come up do their business and leave. you could easily have just as many fish run now and not realise because they can come and go in a matter of days. a fall fish could spend a 2 months in the streams where as a spring fish might stay days. i have pictures of dime bright fish i was pulling out of elk on april 30 of 05. i that day in one pocket my hook ups was in the double digits. that day i was having trouble landing them due to bad tippet matieral. i was kicking myself that day for not getting fresh line.

Just a question, is the fish pictured, one that you'd consider a "fresh" run?
steelheadman28
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 393
RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/10 21:17:12 (permalink)
I can't wait to get up there. I haven't gone up in a while but im sure ill hit the streams soon. Good luck to you guys
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: