Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Noplacelikehome
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 774
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/06 06:42:11 (permalink)

Fish ABOUND!

Fished Thur. thru Sat. I caught 28 Steelhead and about 120 perch. There were Steelhead everywhere(bay, lake, and streams). I was amazed at the number of Steelhead in Walnut. Most were fresh and were stacked up above the manchester hole. Every stream I fished(east and west) had Steelys up and down stream in very good numbers. I saw ZERO suckers! Had a blast catching steel in the lake on jiggs under a small float! Sat. three of us fished the bay in a boat for perch. Caught about 150 and kept about 60 big ones.  Took an old timer up with me and he caught his first FOUR Steelhead. Now he's hooked for life!!  Can't believe after fishing in Erie for over 30 years the fishing STILL blows me away almost EVERY TRIP!!! The perch were so thick I snagged 3!!   Good Luck!

36 Replies Related Threads

Finster
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 184
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/06 07:22:48 (permalink)
    Sounds like an awesome day. Congrat's
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/06 07:58:18 (permalink)
    Glad you had a great time.  I wonder where all the suckers went.  I hammered them in the Legion hole Thursday and saw several caught in Walnut Wednesday. 

pax vobiscum +
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/06 12:36:23 (permalink)
    It has been a welcome April.  There are good numbers of steelies from the places I've been to in western Erie county.  And as stated, the suckers are few at best.  Get out and do some fishing while it lasts.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    masterangler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/06 13:43:37 (permalink)
    Way to go!!!!!!!!!!
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/06 21:24:35 (permalink)
    Congrats on your success! I gotta say, I experienced the same conditions you guys are talking about this weekend. I had by far my best trip of the year, including fall. Basically saw and caught a few fish at every stop, and then, by luck, found a huge group that was seemingly unfound or unharassed for some reason. I wont post numbers so the bashers don't yell, BUT it was truly unreal. Fished this spot Sat and Sun and literally caught fish for hours straight. Erie truly does never cease to amaze.

I was one of the ones saying that this would be a poor spring run, due to the warm winter, boy was I wrong. I saw more fish in the areas that I fished than I have in years in early April.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/06 21:36:48 (permalink)
    I fished this afternoon and evening and found quite a few fish.  Most were in shallow water on their beds.  For the guys who like pounding spawning fish, this was the time to be on the streams.  They are easy picking right now.  Good luck when you come up.

pax vobiscum +
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/06 22:40:20 (permalink)
    I've never seen fish attack a swung streamer like they did today.  Truly amazing.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/06 22:58:25 (permalink)
    What was the the water visability today?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/07 07:40:11 (permalink)
    Greg, on Sunday Walnut was perfect.  Elk was pretty swift with good color.  It should be good for the next couple of days.   Streamers man, streamers.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/07 08:51:35 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply Loopy!  Black buggers were the ticket for us on Sunday.

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/07 08:58:04 (permalink)
    I caught fish on light blue buggers, glo bugs, sucker spawn and nymphs.  I even had one come all the way across the riffle and crush a bugger.  Most of the fish caught were males and they were very aggressive.  We fished for about an hour or so for the fish on the gravel.  After landing a few, my buddy and I decided to move on to a different area.  Frankly, it was getting a bit boring hooking and dragging them up on the gravel.

pax vobiscum +
    pgh_flytier
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 249
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/07 10:46:15 (permalink)
    What color buggers were you using? I heard Buggers were the hot bait and started out with black and olive, but didn' get a bite on them. Anything with silver seemed to be the ticket Sunday. Streamers with silver and sparkle sucker spawn were the ones we had the best luck with.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/07 11:07:23 (permalink)
    I was using ones that where light blue.

pax vobiscum +
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/07 18:09:15 (permalink)
    I ended up using some of my smallmouth flies.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/07 21:47:30 (permalink)
    This afternoon I had several fish crush a copper brown bugger.  They did not even give the light blue ones a second look...  What a difference a day makes.

pax vobiscum +
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/07 22:09:21 (permalink)
    Is there a spring run or what?!

not only were we catching jacks but larger 20+ inches 4 or 5 pounders in the conrail tubes non stop. 3 suckers caught in 5 hours of fishing to 25+ steelhead between the 4 of us.

People who say its over are so wrong.

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 07:06:10 (permalink)
    I am not sure that we are having a spring run so much as the fish have been in the streams all along, but are now spreading out to spawn.  I have seen quite a few jacks around this spring.  Those little guys sure can fight.

pax vobiscum +
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 10:44:15 (permalink)
    I know 90% of the fish were in the tribs a while but 3 of the ones over 22 inches were just as silver as the jacks and fought like crazy. 1 was still loaded with a ton of eggs. 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 11:51:27 (permalink)
    There are always a few fresh hens that come in the spring.

pax vobiscum +
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 13:15:20 (permalink)
    On one of the eastside tribs I was fishing, there was definitley a run in progress. Fish were filtering in from the lake in groups of 5-7 almost constantly for about 4 hours on Saturday afternoon. Pretty cool to see, and there was always some new fish in front that were eager to strike. I think PA's spring run is a little a underrated, although I do think it is a little more time-sensitive than the fall runs.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 15:10:55 (permalink)
    Same thing was going on at Trout Run when it was running fast and muddy last week.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 16:13:23 (permalink)
    I wonder if the long, warm and dry fall, along with the cold and frozen winter has anything to do with this?  I have seen a few fresh fish up stream, but that did not seem to be all that unusual, but if there is a strong fresh run coming in, that would be something different.  By now, a lot of the steelies should be dropping back and on the move out.  I do know the suckers are in the streams.  I caught a mess of them at the Legion hole a few days ago and have caught them in lower Elk and seen them caught in lower Walnut.  I have not yet seen any smallies making an appearance, but would not be surprised if they show up soon.  This is shaping up to be an interesting spring.  What would be neat to know is how long these fresh steelies will stick around, especially if the temperature goes up and the water levels go down? 

pax vobiscum +
    bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 16:55:49 (permalink)
    there is usually at least one more run of fish that will be running right now. i have noticed through the years more and more fish in the spring. it used to be 10 years ago that steelhead were harder to come by. my theory on this is the fact that you have the cross breeding of the ohio manistee strains starting to come through. since it is very easy for the ohio breeds which are predominantly spring breeders to venture into trout run. i have picutures of dime bright fish i was catching while i was standing beside my father as he was catching brown trout stockies a week after trout season started. that day i hit a ton of fresh fish as they were running up stream. again this is just a theory of mine.
    FiveMilePete
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1131
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 18:36:49 (permalink)
    Bughawk's right! There is no spring run going on! Those fish left the creek,
    went into the lake for breakfast, and came back. I was there. I saw it all.
    No spring run on the east side!
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 18:58:21 (permalink)
    yeah we really got a break this year with for once AVERAGE temps remember the last 3 years or so water temp and levels in the tribs were much warmer and water levels lower trout being cold water fish lingered longer this year and prolonged the spawn,also now that we pretty much only have a fall run that is sooooo spread out over the winter the season does go longer it seems,but i do remember about 15 years ago we caught what i can only guess were manistee strain steelhead in april along with a few drop backs from the fall run did all the breeding source from trout run dilute the manistee strain or did the state ever put them in again or was there ever truly a spring run manistee in elk then i am confused but i can sure tell you i caught my biggest steel almost always in march and april back then and they were really true real mccoy big CHROMERS. any info to help me put this conclusion to rest would be greatly appreciated thanks koke

I have become comfortably numb
    brown trout
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/08 20:26:18 (permalink)
    Pete, I agree that some of the fish were definitley ones that had went back to the lake, and then ran the stream again. But, there was for sure SOME fresh fish also. The particular place that I did very well, just a few days ago there was around 10-15 fish. On Saturday, there was well over 50+ in the same spot on the eastside, and yes there was some dark ones, but also some bright. They trickled in literally all day long. And again I will say, there is more of a spring run than many believe. Some of my highest numbers days ever have been in mid April, not to mention I believe it is almost THE best time to catch a true hog. One thing that does happen alot in spring though, is that a place can be vacant or loaded with fish one day, and then the opposite a day or two later. Whatever the case, it's been a heck of a spring so far.
    bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/09 08:33:59 (permalink)
    ohio stocks the manistee strain. they stock their fish at the mouths of the streams unlike pa that dumps them in upstream from the mouths. being that they are stocked lower they don't imprint very well. basically any moving water is likely to get a fish in it. same goes really for pa fish. many of them run up conneaut and such before pa did the stocking. most of these fish are in the streams less than a month, maybe two. then they are out to the lake. that amount of time is not long enough for them to imprint very well. in streams with native fish the steelhead will stay for a year before they venture out. that is why you see many steelhead in streams that don't get stocked with them. i have the privledge of watching elk year round. in the almost 20 years of growing up on that stream the amount of fish that run in the spring has drastically increased through the years. as i stated in a previous thread, there are differences between the fall run fish and spring runs. fall runs will come in and stay in pools for the correct temps so they can try to spawn. our falls have been rather dry so the fish can't do anything but sit and wait. thus they build up in the pools. spring run fish do not need to do that. they are running when the temps are already right for them. there is no need to wait. they come up do their business and leave. you could easily have just as many fish run now and not realise because they can come and go in a matter of days. a fall fish could spend a 2 months in the streams where as a spring fish might stay days. i have pictures of dime bright fish i was pulling out of elk on april 30 of 05. i that day in one pocket my hook ups was in the double digits. that day i was having trouble landing them due to bad tippet matieral. i was kicking myself that day for not getting fresh line.
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/09 08:36:05 (permalink)
    Man I gotta quit reading this thread before I ditch school to head Narrth
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fish ABOUND! 2008/04/09 14:33:47 (permalink)
    I noticed the last few days more fish in upper Elk, but no dime bright fish.  The fish were holding in the riffles and with the low and clear conditions, they are a bit spooky. 

pax vobiscum +
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: