TURKEY DECOYS

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/05 22:57:50 (permalink)

TURKEY DECOYS

WHAT IS THE BEST SET UP FOR DECOYS?I JUST BOUGHT A NEW KING STRUT DECOY NOT SURE IF I SHOULD USE IT OR NOT WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK?HAVE ANYONE EVER TRY ONE IF SO DO THEY WORK?ALSO DO THEY STILL MAKE A SPIT N DRUM CALL IF SO WHERE CAN I GET ONE?I SWITCH FROM A PRIMO MOUTH CALL TO M.A.D MOUTH CALLS WAS THIS A GOOD IDEA?

19 Replies Related Threads

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/06 00:51:16 (permalink)
    Does anyone know if those plastic ones from Walmart are worth trying or are real turkies too smart for that?
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/06 07:03:41 (permalink)
    We run a whole spread of those cheap foam ones. 3-9 coys depending on the setup. Usually a tom, a jake, and a couple hens. Sometimes they will come running in. But there are decoy shy birds. Some of those darn toms will not come into a decoy. Actually go the other way..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/07 13:53:26 (permalink)
    why are dekes so expensive?
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/07 16:05:22 (permalink)
    Buckwing, the best.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/07 17:42:39 (permalink)
    Dane, I have used the rubber ones that are 9$.  Come in the cardboardbox.  I have used a hen and a jake for the last couple seasons.  Last year I used just the hen on a hunt and a hen came over and pecked at it a few times and then went on the scatch the ground and feed.  I would have to say that they do quite well.  Haven't had a gobbler come in to them yet but the boss hen didn't seem to mind it.  Gonna  buy a few more this week.  Good luck this season.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/09 08:13:19 (permalink)
    Well, I've never actually tried hunting turkies (what with fishing starting and all), but I thought I'd give it a try this year becasue there are so many around my house.  I'll have more questions later.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/09 12:37:28 (permalink)
    Careful, it is an addiction.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/09 21:27:48 (permalink)
    OK, when you are set up and nothing is happening, do you move to another spot?  How often (if at all) would you move on a typical hunting day from predawn until quitting time?

Do you have a better chance early in the day, or are the birds active the whole time?  Around my house, I've seen them from as soon as it was light enough to see, until after sunset and any time between, but they are usualy more active early on.

I have a box call (which I've gotten a reaction to in the past) and some mouth calls.  Do I need a slate call too?
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/09 23:54:48 (permalink)
    I only use mouth calls, because there is so much less movement and it is one less thing to worry about.  Slate sounds a little better sometimes so if you are hunting in a blind give it a try.

In the mornings I try to catch birds between the roost and the food.  And where i hunt most mornings I hear more than one gobbler.  So it depends on which way they are working and how it all plays out.  Usually the spot you leave is the one where you should have been.  After 9 am i sit in a decent area and call maybe once every half hour or so.  It is amazing how many gobblers I have shot like that.  I think they get bored with the hens they find early and then start to wander around and check other stuff, but a lot of times these birds later in the day like to come in quiet, most of them never gobble.

They probably seem more active in the am because they are fresh off the roost and ready for a belly full.  More willing to be visible.  After a quick am meal they can go to heavier cover and pick around.

As far as moving around.  I usually try and put birds to roost at night by watching or listening.  So that in the am I am in the ball game at least.  If i didn't do that and am hunting an area blind.  I will move till I get an answer.  or if it gets to be around 9 I just try and get to the area with the most sign and sit still.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    scaremypsu
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/10 08:50:47 (permalink)
    If you dont have any action early in the morning don't get discouraged, later in the morning is also good, a lot of goblers free up from the hens, so stay at it.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/11 19:11:33 (permalink)
    Do I need owl or crow calls?  What is the purpose of these calls?
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/11 20:15:20 (permalink)
    A good crow can can get a bird to shock gobble. Some Gobblers don't like crows and will answer to a crow call.

The owl call is best used at dusk to locate where the birds are roosting.I think they get used to the owl calls though.

The owl population here quadruples the week before turkey season. The amishmen will walk around all day blowing on an owl call.
    I sit for the morning fly down at dawn. Usually out by 9am.

Then run and gun from 10-12am. Hit as many spots as you can, Stopping at each long enough to call and give it about 15 minutes.
    Start off with soft yelps and finish up with load aggressive cutting. Then move on. You can contact a lot of birds that way.

I've killed most of my birds later in the morning. The morning fly done can be frustrating sometimes when they have a bunch of hens with them. Some Toms just can't be pulled away from their girls in the morning.

But let those hens go to lay eggs at about 10 am and those Tom's get lonely..
    If you have some unpressuered birds around it shouldn't be hard at all. They will come to the call..

And don't think your calling has to be perfect. I've made some pretty terrible calls and didn't spook the birds..
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2008/04/11 20:17:14

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/11 20:50:34 (permalink)
    I see some every day around the house.  I dont know where they roost.  I'm not calling at all right now, because I dont want them to hear my calls until the moment of truth.  I just have this feeling that they will all disappear before the season starts.  IF I walk around near dusk hooting with an owl call, will they gobble on roost?  Do I mix in the crow call while hunting just to try something different if nothing is happening?
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/11 20:53:18 (permalink)
    I've called birds in with a mouth call, box call and once just vocally with no call at all.  I doubt I'm a very good caller, but it's worked often enough that I have confidence that I can do it.  Now, will it work while I'm actually hunting?
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/12 06:38:08 (permalink)
    I would say you are doing the right thing by not calling to them and educating them.

First I would try to locate their roosting area. They will usually roost in the same spot.

You can do this by being in the woods at dusk. Sometimes you can even hear them fly up  into the trees.
    Now is the time I use my owl hooter. To put them to bed. Some Toms will gobble to the owl call..Some will not..
    Knowing where they are roosting helps so you don't set up under them in the dark and ruin the hunt. Done that.

Once you know where they roost and have a general idea where they are feeding you can set up some where in between for the morning ambush. The toms should fly down and start gobbling when they hit the ground. So they can round up the girls. Then off to feed.

The crow call I use all day. Every half hour or so. One of the few calls you can't over use..
    Same there some Toms respond some don't.

If he has a bunch of hens with him sometimes the boss hen will get mad and start talking to you. Match her call for call. If you are lucky it will **** her off and she will come over with Tom in tow..

Sure is one of the greatest rushes in life. Too call in a Tom Turkey and have him strut in front of you..

Just some things I've found that have worked for me over the years. I'm still just a student in the turkey woods. I get educated every year. 
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2008/04/12 06:41:38

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/13 01:37:15 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info.  You may be a student, but I'm not even in pre school yet.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/15 01:35:24 (permalink)
    tried the owl call this evening.  I walked around likely spots and hooted here and there, but got no repsonse.  I did kick out nine deer, tho so that was cool.
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/15 23:49:47 (permalink)
     I have 2 rubber decoys, they look great but when i fold them up to put them in my pack they like to stay closed when i want to set them up. any advice on keeping them open? I have towls stuffed in them now to keep them open but i know when i fold them again ill be back in the same situation again.
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: TURKEY DECOYS 2008/04/18 16:28:34 (permalink)
    I have the same problem. I try to run a hair dryer in them in the morning and don't fold them until after the first days hunt. it's a pain, but it works for me hunting on a private farm every year.
    Jump to: