Fishing Carlisle, PA

Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9685
  • Reward points: 0
2008/04/01 16:43:21 (permalink)

Fishing Carlisle, PA

Anyone know what the Conodoguinet Creek is like?  I have passed it, and looks nice.  I checked out the state stocking list, and appears to be on it.  Is this worth giving a shot.  I have to go to the AWC, and figured I'd wet a line for a few hours if possible.
Thanks,
PT

12 Replies Related Threads

Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/02 17:44:46 (permalink)
    I work with a girl from Carlisle, if I think of it I will ask her tomorrow.  I know she has talked about the La tort as being a good fly fishing stream. 
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/02 18:29:50 (permalink)
    Inukshuk,
         Saying the LeTort is a good fly fishing stream is like saying Jenifer Lopez is a pretty good singer.  The LeTort is one of the best.  The Creek that flows beside the Carlisle Country Club is also pretty nice.  Also there is a small stream on the Carlisle Barracks grounds that isn't too shabby.  But remember a lot of that land is POSTED but usually some access can be obtained if you ask politely.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/02 19:57:44 (permalink)
    Thanks guys.  I'll probably give the one on the barracks a shot.  I was thinking to drive to the Yellow Breeches, but will likely be tight on time. 

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/02 20:43:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Inukshuk,
        Saying the LeTort is a good fly fishing stream is like saying Jenifer Lopez is a pretty good singer.  The LeTort is one of the best. 

I agree totally, as long as you don't define the best as catching numbers(which I certainly don't)!!  Those fish in there(there are tons) are **** tough to catch.  It is one those places that leaves me humbled everytime, I guess thats what keeps me coming back.

Big Spring flows into Conodoguinet Creek somewhere, as does the Letort.  Im guessing there are a handful of other small limestoners flowing into it as well.  Thats makes me think it might be a pretty decent place to fish.  But, I personally have never fished it.
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/02 21:15:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Inukshuk,
        Saying the LeTort is a good fly fishing stream is like saying Jenifer Lopez is a pretty good singer.  The LeTort is one of the best.  The Creek that flows beside the Carlisle Country Club is also pretty nice.  Also there is a small stream on the Carlisle Barracks grounds that isn't too shabby.  But remember a lot of that land is POSTED but usually some access can be obtained if you ask politely.

I actually think Jenifer Lopez sucks as a singer, but I'll take your word for it about the Le Tort.  I never fished it, just heard about it.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/03 09:11:12 (permalink)
    Yea, I don't know alot about the Carlisle area, but stories from friends who have worked around there and fished the Yellow Breaches and LeTort a bunch.  If you only had a little bit of time, and didn't need to catch a ton of fish, I'd go to the Le Tort Spring Run.  It's as famous as famous PA limestone spring creeks get.  Literally, all the legends of eastern fly fishing have fished there.  A place to just walk the banks, make some casts, and if you catch one or two, great.  If not, you've visited a historic stream.  You really couldn't lose going there.
    ztroutman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/04 10:03:01 (permalink)
    If you plan to fish the Carlisle area your best bet is making the trip from Carlisle to Boiling Springs to fish the Yellow Breeches.  At Children's Lake there is The Yellow Breeches Outfitters and they will help.  The mill run coming out of the lake is not the Yellow Breeches.  You want to walk down stream to the main stem which is the Yellow Breeches and fish from there downstream to Allenberry.  This is a no-kill artificial lures only stream and is stocked by the state and the Yellow Breeches Anglers Assoc.  If you plan to fish the Letort be prepared to have a nice scenic walk along the stream.  It is one of the most difficult streams in all of this region.  The best time to fish the Letort is when the sulphurs are just starting.  The beginning of the hatch is good and will draw fish out of the cress beds and into feeding lanes.  As the weeks go by, it gets tougher.  Good luck and enjoy the beautiful area.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/04 10:15:23 (permalink)
    Well, I attempted to fish the LeTort on the barracks.  I drove around until I found it.  By the time I found it, and put my eyes back on the road... I was in the exit line at a gate.  I didn't want to slam on the brakes and pull a U turn, so I attempted to find a place close by to turn off.  I drove around for about 1/2 hour, planning to fish an hour or two.  I drove past one area that had a few trucks pulled off, but no extra spaces.  Everything else didn't have parking or had posted signs.  I saw were it dumped into the Condoguniet, which looked realy promising, but looked to be private property.

I figured that I had a 3 hour drive home and had just put in a full day with multiple clients, so I just hit the road.  I'll likely be back there in a few weeks, so will hit it then.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6352
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/04 13:26:54 (permalink)
    Pork,
       I don't know about Carlisle, but most Military bases do require a post fishing license.  You can get the facts by calling post range control and asking.  I fished it when I was assigned there YEARS ago.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/04 17:31:49 (permalink)
    Pork,
    I talked to my colleague, she said the conodoguinet is a good stream to fly fish, but did not give me much detail.  She said she did fish it but that was all.
    jackq
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/06 13:24:08 (permalink)
    The Conodiguinet is stocked in Franklin Co. around the Orrstown area. There are a few (VERY few !!) trout in it around the Carlisle area. Mostly warm water fish.
      Why does everyone take for granted this gentleman is going to fly fish??? Maybe he's an everyday worm dunker???
    Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing Carlisle, PA 2008/04/06 16:01:40 (permalink)
    I was just relaying the information as it was given to me, not assuming anything.
    Jump to: