first spring trip

Author
Matt4:19
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/31 07:06:11 (permalink)

first spring trip

Coming up this week from WV eastern panhandle for first time ever in spring...just curious as to were fish are concentrated in spring, not looking for specific places just upper or lower parts of the creeks...I always fish lower areas in the fall and winter...bringing two new guys and would just like to see them get a couple hook-ups....what are some opinions as far as best spring baits (flies or bait)....see you tomorrow....God Bless...

9 Replies Related Threads

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 07:13:52 (permalink)
    Try the middle of the streams first and then work towards the mouths.  There may still be fish in the upper sections, but my guess is they may be a little harder to find. 

The water is still pretty cold, but we are getting some rain so hopefully the water temp will be going up some.  The best luck I have had lately has been with minnies.  Small streamers, light sucker spawn and small glo bugs have been effective as well.  Jigs tipped with maggots might not be a bad bet as well.

Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    masterangler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 14:26:22 (permalink)
    along w/ bh's advice, try small spawn sacs in off color water
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 14:28:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the tip buhawk, I too am going up and trying my fly rod 
    Lol stay clear 50 feet!

I'm bringing up a buddy, and he's usuing my noodler. It'll make it all worth it if i can see him with that stupid grin that only comes out at jiggle joints.

Matt4:19
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 16:16:08 (permalink)
    Thanks for the advise....what are the stream conditions like now...will the rain forecasted for tomorrow effect the streams much...thanks again for the replies....God Bless....
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 16:38:30 (permalink)
    Matt

A quick look at the reports page looks like tribs were in good shape yesterday.  But, with the amount of rain in the forecast, Elk & Walnut could be a pretty tough go tomorrow.  Best advice is to call Poor Richards at (814) 474-5623 before you head up.  They'll shoot straight with you about stream conditions. 

If that's all the rain Erie gets tomorrow, you should be in good shape for Walnut & the mile streams on Wednesday.  Maybe Elk too.

As for where the fish are concentrated, if you're looking for fall numbers of fish right now, you're probably gonna be disappointed.  I fished Walnut & Elk last Monday and found some fish, but not huge numbers.  I caught 4 all day, and I didn't see anybody catching a lot of fish, and I saw a lot of guys fishing.  Judging by the reports page, there are some areas still holding good numbers, but seems like a good number of fish have started to drop back already.  Be prepared to hit a few different areas and do some walking.  
    AzzUR
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 18:07:51 (permalink)
    Was up at Elk today (3/31) it was pretty high and off-colored......not good fishing conditions in my opinion, dicey wading at best and there is more rain in the forecast over the next couple of days, which won't help.  Just some FYI.....
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 20:55:05 (permalink)
    I crossed Elk today on my way to Erie.  The stream was definitely up with a strong flow.  If we get more rain tonight it might blow out for tomorrow.  Walnut also looked high.  I talked with a couple of guys who fished the mouth of Trout run and and they did OK today.  If the streams are high, check out the mouth of Trout run.

Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 21:21:55 (permalink)
    ya but be careful at trout run, i stopped over there a last week to check things out cause i never fish there and saw a guy getting "reminded" to not fish too close to the mouth, id say only cast a couple feet past the log in the water if youre standing in the lake..be warned though, about 7/8 of the fish you'll catch over there are dark as sin...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: first spring trip 2008/03/31 21:24:47 (permalink)
    From the WCO report.

With ice formed along the lake shore and the tributary open, it can be difficult to tell where the tributary ends and the lake begins. Fishing in the Trout Run trib (State controlled nursery waters) is prohibited. Generally any running or riffled water holding fish in an upstream pattern can be considered part of the tributary. If in doubt, don't take the risk as fines for fishing or disturbing State nursery waters can be expensive.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: