Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
sixers
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/29 21:56:28 (permalink)

Friend areested on Connie for trespasing

Just a heads up about my friends arrest.

A friend of mine was fishing on connie, north of the Viaduct and got hauled off to the police station by the RR police.  The fine is $500 but they allowed him to promise never to fish there again. So beware.  All of that area is posted with "private property signs". However, this is the first enforcemet I have heard in the 15 years that I have been fishing that area.

He was told not to fish that railroad yard section which is north of the Viaduct " the big arch" and on the west side of Connie " the RR track side".  It seems that the rest of that area is still ok.  Indeed, I fished some of the other areas the other day as I usually do.

111 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/29 22:12:46 (permalink)
    How did you do?

STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/29 23:13:17 (permalink)
    Went by there today and it still had a good bit of ice on it.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/29 23:19:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: sixers

So beware.  All of that area is posted with "private property signs". However, this is the first enforcemet I have heard in the 15 years that I have been fishing that area.

Im pretty sure private property signs mean that it is off limits!!  Your friend deserved to get fined, he was lucky, he clearly acknowledged that he was entering private land, yet did so regardless.  It is these sorts or irresponsible actions that cause land to be posted in the first place.   
    clamshell
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/29 23:31:34 (permalink)
    Good point,  Essox Hunter!!
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 00:15:38 (permalink)
    ya those posted signs usually mean you cant go there...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 08:47:05 (permalink)
    Thats funny there!

swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 13:50:28 (permalink)
    Happy to hear he got arrested. People who break the law should have to pay the piper. Make sure to ask him if the fish was worth it.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 14:01:03 (permalink)
    Just goes to show, they don't mess around in Ohio...NO Tresspassing means NO Tresspassing there....In PA, people must think it means something else

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 15:12:40 (permalink)
    Good, I'm happy he got a fine. 
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 16:03:15 (permalink)
    all the railroads are really going to be cracking down this coming year. to many people are getting creamed. it isnt that hard to get hit either. im around these things all day and its easier then you think for something thats 410,000lbs to sneak up on you. this isnt just me saying it either. i work for a railroad and it is what i have been told.

im sure if my boss bob (he's on this site) reads this he will confirm it.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 18:27:00 (permalink)
    This is absolute CRAP.  The railroads control almost all access to our greatest wildernesses.  If they shut down access, every civilian that enjoys any sort of outdoor recreation will suffer.  Some of you need to open your eyes and educate yourselves about this one.  This is not a new problem and is something that the railroads are trying to push nationwide.  There has never been a more corrupt organization (perhaps the oil barons) than the railroads.  Technically you can no longer even cross a railroad track or you are trespassing.  Hey Essox, you ever crossed tracks to get to a hunting or fishing location?  By your own logic, you should be arrested if you have committed such a crime.  This one gets me fired up.
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 18:47:17 (permalink)
    No tresspassing, private property, posted, and stay out signs means you do not own that land and are not allowed to walk on it. Unless you have permission from the land owner, you are breaking the law. I dont care who owns it. It is not yours so abide by the rules.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 18:53:38 (permalink)
    they are not a landowner...  They are a corrupt agency that happens to have property which they have aquired through theft, bribery, and capital crimes up to and including murder.  Trust me, you will wish that someday we had all taken a stand against the railroads on this one.  What about you swinger, do you ever have to cross (not walk down) railroad tracks?  If so, you are guilty also and can be arrested.  This will shut down access to parts if not all of every major outdoor recreation area, pushing more people into smaller areas where access is allowed.  Do you for one second realize the scope of what this action means????
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 19:07:34 (permalink)
    Hope this gives you some insight why railroad tracks are posted property and why arrest and fines are given to trespassers.

Here are same facts about trains and their tracks.
    1. Do not get trapped on the tracks. Only proceed through a highway-rail grade crossing if you are sure you can completely clear the crossing without stopping. Remember, the train is three feet wider than the tracks on both sides.
    2. Be aware that trains cannot stop quickly. Even if the locomotive engineer sees you, a freight train moving at 55 miles per hour can take a mile or more to stop once the emergency brakes are applied. That's 18 football fields!
    3. Do not be fooled by the optical illusion. ­ The train you see is closer and faster moving than you think. If you see a train approaching, wait for it to go by before you proceed across the tracks.
    4. Railroad tracks, trestles, yards and equipment are private property. Walking or playing on them is illegal ­ trespassers are subject to arrest and fines. Too often the penalty is death.
    5. Since 1994, almost 5,100 people have been killed while trespassing on railroad rights-of-way and property.
    6. Trains cannot stop quickly. A freight train moving at 55 miles per hour, or an 8-car passenger train moving at 79 miles per hour, can take a mile or more to stop.
    7. DO NOT walk, run, cycle or operate all terrain vehicles (ATVs) on railroad tracks or rights-of-way or through tunnels.
    8. Cross tracks ONLY at designated pedestrian or roadway crossings. Observe and obey all warning signs and signals.
    9. DO NOT hunt, fish or bungee jump from railroad trestles. They are not designed to be sidewalks or pedestrian bridges ­ there is only enough clearance on the tracks for a train to pass.
    10. DO NOT attempt to hop aboard railroad equipment at any time. A slip of the foot can cost you a limb, or your life.
    11. In 2006, at least 362 people were killed and 999 were seriously injured in 2,897 highway-rail grade crossing collisions (combined for public and private crossings).
    12. At least 530 people were killed and 446 were injured while trespassing on railroad rights-of-way and property.
    13. Approximately every two hours, either a vehicle or a pedestrian is struck by a train in the United States. That's 12 incidents each day!
    14. A motorist is 20 times more likely to die in a crash involving a train than in a collision involving another motor vehicle.
    15. More people die in highway-rail grade crossing crashes in the United States each year than in all commercial and general aviation crashes combined.
    16. Nearly 50 percent of vehicle/train collisions occur at crossings with active warning devices (gates, lights, bells).
    17. The majority of highway-rail crashes occur when the train is traveling less than 30 mph.
    18. Railroad tracks, trestles, yards and equipment are private property. Walking or playing on them is illegal – trespassers are subject to arrest and fines. Too often the penalty is death.

*Source Federal Railroad Administration  preliminary statistics for 2006 (as of December 2006)

Cars have rubber tyres on tarmac roads trains have steel tyres on steel roads, I will come back to that point in a moment. A car weighs about 2 tons a train weighs about 50 to 150 tons + its coaches or wagons. The problem with trains isn’t starting them it’s stopping them once you have. My grandfather who was a railwayman for many years put it quite well when he said "Any idiot can start a train, it takes skill and practice to stop it where you want it to stop."

So how do you stop a train
    Steel tyres and steel track don’t make for very good stopping power. Simply because there is not a great deal of friction between the two when weights of 300+ tonnes are involved. The inertia (momentum) of a moving train is very high. Slamming the brakes on wont stop it, all you will achieve is a skid which lasts for a good long distance and locked wheels which end up with flat parts on the tread and a damaged track.
    What we need to do, is to progressively retard the rotation so that the force involved is spread over greater time. (progressive braking). We achieve this on a railway in several ways. Lets look at the factors involved. The first one we already mentioned "weight" It is important that the train weight is reported to the driver before departure if not or if the wrong train weight is reported he could end up setting the brake pressure and application rate incorrectly. This would then result in either the train not stopping when expected or even accelerating on a gradient with the brakes on. Just as bad, the damage we have already talked about could occur,costing thousands of pounds, dollars, spons, wedge, whatever (convert to your own currency!!!).
    The second factor is the track itself, you may think that steel is steel is steel. This would be far from the truth. In different weather conditions steel behaves very differently. Steel becomes greasy when it gets wet, this is because it is partly porous and retains any oil or grease that has transferred to it and as you all know oil floats on water. So if it rains it is even harder to stop.
    The third factor is the route itself. It has gradients, curves, speed restrictions etc etc…. A driver must learn the route. This is usually done from books and a lot of study backed up with real world knowledge. You have to know where all of the signals are so that you can stop in time when they are showing red. You have to know how steep the grades are and where they start and end you have to know where the curves are, you have to know where the stations and yards are and last of all you have to know about any special restrictions or work being carried out on the line on a daily basis.
    All of the above is far more important than knowing how to start a train moving if you want to prevent injury or death!! and get your load where it is needed.……..
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 19:08:45 (permalink)
    When Donnie Beaver excludes people from fishing where they want people want to kill him.
    Is it any better when the railroad does it?
    They are worried about security and safety-what could happen to them with sportsmen looking out for them?

swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 19:15:26 (permalink)
    After a big blow out the creeks change, I adapt. A posted sign gets put up, I adapt. I dont care if Hitler puts up a posted sign or Jesus Christ himself puts up a posted sign. I am not going on that property.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 19:24:45 (permalink)
    You don't get it...  This is not about trespassing, this is about the railroads denying access.  Look at a detailed map of PA and investigate the railroad tracks that crisscross the land, bordering major public lands and waterways.  Guess what, in many cases, railroad tracks offer the only reasonable access that people have to enjoy OUR public lands.  They are effectively shutting these access points off.  The tracks do not need to be posted as private and you can be arrested for crossing any railroad track other than a designated crossing area.  If you want private property, I am all for it...Go ahead.  If you want to shut down right of ways and accesses to our nations greatest treasures, then I have a beef with that.

By the way, Marty hit it right on the head...
    post edited by griffon - 2008/03/30 19:27:01
    Roy D. Mercer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 19:50:01 (permalink)
    Griffon, I have been fishing that creek since i was a kid, and that area has always been OFF LIMITS. Belive me when I say, that the railroad company has been more than generous in their allowing acess to other areas of the creek. That area is a high traffic area, and they don't want anybody on it PERIOD. I have see numerous people other than fisherman with their azzes carted out of there for less. The guy is lucky he got off as easy as he did.

Marty, I am sure the RR company stands nothing to benefit from the fish in that river. I have never seen any RR managers or employees charging thousands of dollars to fish their industrial mecca of steelhead. Cannot even compare to the antics of a DB and his acquisitions of prime "private" real estate. People will never learn that when a sign states NO TRESPASSING it means STAY OUT! End of story.

Swinger: Couldn't agree more with you on this issue.

Just a side note: Last year, I was fishing an area that I had access to per the landowner that was granted to my uncle and I years ago. I started fishing this area in 1986, and did so each year until I was asked to leave last year. Why?? Earlier in the season, said landowner kindly introduced himself (happened to be the gentleman's son) and told of a group of uninvited tresspassers fishing the area during deer season, and when they were ask to leave told the landown to F--K himself. Nice Huh??  I apologized, and after a lengthy conversation, was told to return this year and written permission would be granted. I guess these type of people will ruin it all for all the sportsman who abide and respect people's, and in the above case, a company's wishes to stay off their land.

Later
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 20:00:56 (permalink)
    Roy,  I am certain you are correct about that area.  I have no knowledge of that particular area so I can't speak to it.  However, my point is that this is what the railroads are doing nationwide on every single inch of track they own.  That is a problem for everyone, maybe not today but in the future I can promise you this will be.  For example, the Allegheny, Ohio and Monongohela are all bordered by railroads.  Many of the areas that people access the rivers require crossing tracks.  This is now illegal.  This is also true for much of the Suesquehanna, The Sinnemahoning, countless trout streams, some of our state lands and other states as well.  If you travel the west, It will be extremely difficult to access many of our greatest streams and national forests due to the railroads now exercising their powers. 

Have you ever fished a trout stream up to a railroad trestle where the pool was too deep to get through and your only option was to go over the trestle?  Guess what, you just tresspassed and the railroad will arrest you if they catch you, anywhere in the nation. You ever hunt rabbits along railroad track (millions do), guess what, cross the tracks even if you own both sides of the property and you are tresspassing.  This issue is very serious and likely getting worse before it gets better.
    post edited by griffon - 2008/03/30 20:05:06
    Roy D. Mercer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 20:23:20 (permalink)
    Griffon, I understand your point, but I am certain that when considering the amount survailance this country has been subjected to in regards to terrorism etc. I guess we all have to sacrifice when RR / transport companies tighten their security. Remember, Safety is not the only concern... Many of these companies carry highly explosive, sometimes deadly chemicals and other hazardous materials, as such, it certainly would be a shame to have rivers, lakes (drinking water) and so forth put at risk because we want to fish. It sucks, but it's reality. I just have a problem with folks who think they are the exception to the rule, and I believe that if 99.9% of the people must abide by a rule, then those who choose to disregard them should be punished.
    post edited by Roy D. Mercer - 2008/03/30 21:09:03
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 21:20:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: griffon

This is absolute CRAP.  The railroads control almost all access to our greatest wildernesses.

No, they don't.

Posted land means stay out, unless you have permission. Simple and sweet.
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 21:27:30 (permalink)
    If you truly believe that then you need to become better informed about how much real estate the railroads actually "own" (actually stolen, bribe payoffs to government officials, and crimes that would have any single individual placed into the electric chair).  You should also go back and read the rest of the thread.  I do not support the railroads on this nationwide policy they are attempting to enforce.  Unfortunately, as a country we will likely become more dependant on them as the price of fuel continues to increase.  That will likely mean that more track will need to be laid and more miles of access will be closed off. I see you fish Pine Creek in the DH Zone.  Do you cross the tracks (don't lie)?  Do you walk the tracks?  If you answered yes to either of these and (if you fish the lower DH section you have to cross railroad tracks) then you are trespassing and should be turned into the local authorities immediately.  As I said, it doesn't need to be posted for the railroad to enforce their rules and they will do just that if they see you cross. 
    post edited by griffon - 2008/03/30 21:34:39
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 21:47:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: griffon

If you truly believe that then you need to become better informed about how much real estate the railroads actually "own" (actually stolen, bribe payoffs to government officials, and crimes that would have any single individual placed into the electric chair).  You should also go back and read the rest of the thread.  I do not support the railroads on this nationwide policy they are attempting to enforce.  Unfortunately, as a country we will likely become more dependant on them as the price of fuel continues to increase.  That will likely mean that more track will need to be laid and more miles of access will be closed off. 

you dont support them because your a me me me i want everything for me a-hole. you think that land is yours and its not. sorry pal but they were around a long time before you were or your mother or your mothers mother etc... go see if you can stroll around at alcoa's plant or on the steel mills properties or almost anything owned by a corporation. the big difference between most companies and the railroad is when someone trespasses on thier property and gets hurt their insurance company picks it up. but when some retard gets whacked by a train on railroad property they pay it because their self insured.

i've had this argument with you once before about this and i can see you still think the railroads owe you something. guess what pal, they owe you $hit. you should thank them for taking millions of semi trucks off the road so you can even get to your **** fishing spot. grow up, the world doesnt revolve around you and what you want.

btw if your so concerned about how they stole the land away from us why dont you give your house to a native american.
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 21:52:15 (permalink)
    Griffon. Besides telling us here what the RR is doing. What are you doing about it?

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 21:59:20 (permalink)
    "This is absolute CRAP.  The railroads control almost all access to our greatest wildernesses." How can they cut off access if it was never there in the first place?

"For example, the Allegheny, Ohio and Monongohela are all bordered by railroads.  Many of the areas that people access the rivers require crossing tracks." Look at all the major rivers and streams, most of them have or had a railroad along them at some time. Reason why is because the grade is very flat with little or no digging involved to lay the track. The Allegheny River had tracks on both sides as far up as Freeport. Today only to New Kensington. The biggest users of the railroad in New Kensington is a beer distribution center and an oil distributor.
    plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 22:12:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: 2dog

"This is absolute CRAP.  The railroads control almost all access to our greatest wildernesses." How can they cut off access if it was never there in the first place?

"For example, the Allegheny, Ohio and Monongohela are all bordered by railroads.  Many of the areas that people access the rivers require crossing tracks." Look at all the major rivers and streams, most of them have or had a railroad along them at some time. Reason why is because the grade is very flat with little or no digging involved to lay the track. The Allegheny River had tracks on both sides as far up as Freeport. Today only to New Kensington. The biggest users of the railroad in New Kensington is a beer distribution center and an oil distributor.

yeah and there is one very large difference between railroads and the donny beavers of the world. the donny beavers buy up land next to streams with intention on blocking access to charge money to fish. railroads bought up property next to streams and rivers for the reason you mentioned so they can ship freight and move passengers. not to charge you to fish.

btw i quoted you because you were right about the grade issue.
    post edited by plnoldrick - 2008/03/30 22:13:42
    HardCore Fisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 519
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 22:30:33 (permalink)
    NO TRESSPASSING means NO TRESSPASSING, especially with the railroad, the signs are placed for your benefit saying keep out this is a dangerous area, as an employee with NS, i can personally vouch that their policy is ZERO TOLERANCE for tresspassing, if your caught by railroad police for tresspassing, you will be penalized, plnoldrick couldn't describe it better, trains will sneak up on you fast if their going track speed very quickly and if your just takin that leasure stroll or whatever down the tracks not payin any attention, it just may be too late, as for the BS about the railroads havin too much power just remember most of the stuff you own and enjoy was at once most likely transported by rail, think about the benefits of the railroad before you open your mouth an complain about 1 or 2 fishing spots you can't access due to no tresspassing on railroad property, theirs plenty of available access to hunt/fish whatever you do without tresspassing anywhere period.

Ronnie
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/30 22:57:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Roy D. Mercer

Griffon, I understand your point, but I am certain that when considering the amount survailance this country has been subjected to in regards to terrorism etc. I guess we all have to sacrifice when RR / transport companies tighten their security. Remember, Safety is not the only concern... Many of these companies carry highly explosive, sometimes deadly chemicals and other hazardous materials, as such, it certainly would be a shame to have rivers, lakes (drinking water) and so forth put at risk because we want to fish. It sucks, but it's reality. I just have a problem with folks who think they are the exception to the rule, and I believe that if 99.9% of the people must abide by a rule, then those who choose to disregard them should be punished.

Well said. As much as it irritates me to lose some of the spots that I have due to them being placed off-limits since 9/11 or just because somebody got themself foolishly hurt there previously in this religiously litigious society we live in, I can't argue with your logic.

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    griffon
    Pro Angler
    RE: Friend areested on Connie for trespasing 2008/03/31 07:17:27 (permalink)
    I find it ironic (actually quite hypocritical) that all these people are all for the railroads and the blocking of access when I can guarantee that all of you have had to cross tracks to get some destination.  I would bet that most of you still do and still will.  Like I said, the tracks do not have to have posted property signs.  If they are owned by the railroad, then they are off limits. 

To the private property comments, I am well aware of what private property means.  I actually received permission to hunt a 350 acre stretch of property this weekend.  Talked with the farmer, helped him fix a broken piece of machinery and shot a few groundhogs for him.  I happen to own property also, bordering an unstocked native trout stream.  Ask permission and you most likely will be given access.  Currently I hunt Ohio, North Carolina, Indiana, NY, PA (mostly in Fox Chapel- so yes I understand private property).  I have over 50,000 collective acres to which I have access on private property with owner permission.

As for Swinger, I have contacted all of the major railroads along with senators and congressmen to try and assist with gaining easements for all people in the outdoors.  To date, nothing is being done to curb what is inevitably going to be very bad for sportsmen as a whole.

plnoldrick, you are right about the differences in motivations between Beaver and the railroads.  However, Beaver only closes off a few miles of stream total.  The railroads are closing off 100's of thousands of miles.  Oh and by the way, Kiss my **** you jaggoff.

I also know for a fact that at least a couple of the people defending the railroads on this thread actually work for the railroads (go figure). Why don't you fellers stand up and raise your hands so that others might know who you are.  I think that would clear up some of the confusion here. 
    post edited by griffon - 2008/03/31 09:04:02
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: