Autopilots

Author
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/29 10:34:32 (permalink)

Autopilots

Ok, so I have decided I need one of these fancy schmancy autopilot deals.  I have seen some of you guys mention the TR-1.  How do you like them?
What other ones are guys running?
What is the cheapest one?
And which one gives the best bang for your buck?

Better too far back, than too far forward.

9 Replies Related Threads

Hawg Hunter III
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/29 11:53:37 (permalink)
    MuskyMaster it's not possible to tell you which autopilots you might want to buy with no info. There are many and most all of them work with hydraulic steering systems that are hyd. from the wheel back if you have mechanical steering back  to the engine where the power steering pump hydraulics assist, by supplying the low pressure control valve , which in turn supplies a low pressure booster cylinder connected to the steering cable your choices are limited I think ComNav may be selling them for mechanical steering. Otherwise you have alot of options with the full hyd. steering. Google marine autopilots . Good luck, John
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/29 12:55:30 (permalink)
    I have the mechanical back to the engine compartment with the hydralic asst. there.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/29 13:00:23 (permalink)
    Musky I can explain just about any ap unit...

What is your steering system like?...Do you have a kicker? 

If you plan on setting up an AP system on your main engine let me make it very simple...YOU WANT TO INSTALL HYDRAULIC STEERING IF YOU DO NOT HAVE IT....Out of all the auto pilots out there for mechanical steering i have seen every one of them have problems....From Simrad to Raymarine mechanical steering puts alot of pressure on the unit and requires itsself to do too much work and eventually cause failure.  The best of the best units for your main engine are hydraulic steering systems.  Simrads AP's are among the best along with TR-1's Gladiator system which requires no rudder feedback system...

Now if you have a kicker and want an AP there really is only one option.  TR-1 Gold with throttle control...Not only can you control your boat with the kicker but you can also use the TR-1 for your speed.  I have the older TR-1 2000 and it has since been perfected to the TR-1 Gold.  These units are not cheap, but are so slick once installed...My TR-1 2000 had some issues about 2 years ago and a circuit board was bad.  Got a new one and its been working pretty good with very limited hicups...The TR-1 Gold supposidly is perfected and is flawless...

In marine electronics there is no such thing as "bang for your buck" you simply get what you pay for....

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/29 13:28:33 (permalink)
    I do have a kicker.  The steering system otherwise is stock mercruiser setup with the hydraulic assst.  and the simple link bar to the kicker.....

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/29 14:49:30 (permalink)
    Get a TR-1 if its in the budget...

CB
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/30 12:12:42 (permalink)
    might have to dip into next years budget as well

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/30 13:52:46 (permalink)

CB
    Stack Monkey
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/30 17:52:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: MuskyMastr

I do have a kicker.  The steering system otherwise is stock mercruiser setup with the hydraulic assst.  and the simple link bar to the kicker.....

Do you mean rack & pinion?  Because its my understanding that R&P is not hydraulic, even though it's power steering and there is a hydraulic (power steering) reservior on the engine.  With R&P the units that come with a pump won't work.  At least that's what I've been able to determine.  I have R&P steering and the digging around that I have done has steered me in the direction of the Simrad AP-14R unit.  To use this, or any mechanical steer AP with R&P you have to remove the R&P unit from the helm and install the rotary drive to the steering column (behind the helm) then replace the existing steering cable (about $70) with one that is a little longer and connect it to the existing power steering connections.  If this is wrong, let me know.  The only thing keeping me from buying the Simrad is that I'm not sure if I have enough clearance behind the helm to install it and my boat is locked up in storage @ North East.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Autopilots 2008/03/30 20:03:39 (permalink)
    No by bar link i think he was refering to his kicker to main engine connection.  EZ Steer or something comparable.  The simrad AP14 replaces your exhisting rack and pinion to the best of my knowledge...They give you a separate rotary system that the exhisting cable hooks up to.  I know simrad recently haulted production on the AP14 system for the non hytraulic steering and has recently worked it back into production due to demand.

If you have a kicker buy the TR-1 System...its pretty slick...

Unless you have a true hydro steering system, your power assist on your main engine will not operate unless your main motor is running...therefore it would require and awful lot of effort for system to turn and maintain course with a kicker and would probaly cause failure in your ap system due to the strain.  If you have a kicker, and troll with a kicker, get a kicker autopilot...the only one made to the best of my knowledge is the TR-1 and they cost about as much as any good ap system is going to cost.  If you use a main engine to troll you have alot more options at your disposal...

CB
    Jump to: