steelhead runs

Author
nut
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 295
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/28 15:11:38 (permalink)

steelhead runs

while looking at a water resources map at work i got to wondering do any steelhead run up any of the tribs of elk, like halls run, brandy run, or little elk creek?  i'm guessing they do but maybe a local can help me out.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com

10 Replies Related Threads

mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/28 16:02:58 (permalink)
    You're gonna have to work for that one...
    nut
    Expert Angler
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/28 16:09:01 (permalink)
    i'm not fishing it, if some one wants to pm me with an answer thats fine. i was just curious when i looked on the maps. if this is some sort of off the beaten trail secret spot so be it, i'm assumeing most of it is posted.

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/28 16:58:45 (permalink)
    Yes they do.  I usually find a lot of fish in tribs in the fall.  Thomas Run on Walnut is a good one, there are also some good ones on elk.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    nut
    Expert Angler
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/31 07:01:39 (permalink)
    thanks for the info, i didn't look at walnut, i know the tribs of the tribs get pretty small and shallow.

Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/31 07:09:29 (permalink)
    nut,

Steelies will run into drainage ditches if there is water in them.  Once on upper Elk I jumped across a ditch that only has water in it when it rains and as I crossed over I spooked a steelie.  I was amazed to see the fish there.

pax vobiscum +
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/31 07:56:25 (permalink)
    My question is how can anyone be all proud of themselves catching large fish in water that barely covers their fins is beyond me,not singling anyone out but I laugh when I hear about how many hookups someone got in a trib that barely has 3 inches of water in it...Forget the small stuff find out how to catch tem in high dirty water instead..Some might be suprised but they still are there..Ray

la Fish Hog
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/31 08:02:00 (permalink)
    Ray,

I agree.  At one time a long while ago, I would sight fish and target steelies in the skinny water.  It is a thrill to watch one explode as it takes your fly, but in that shallow water there is no place for them to run.  Basically you hook them and drag them up onto the shore.

I would rather now fish the deeper pockets and runs, places where the fish have room to run and jump.  Getting a steelie in that type of water lets you better appreciate what these silver bullets can do.  I much more prefer a 5 or 10 fish day where I had good fights to a 50 fish day where all I did was drag the fish up onto the shore.

pax vobiscum +
    bigsteeljack
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/31 08:55:36 (permalink)
    there used to be a lot of fish that ran up the trib to elk by the old raceways off of north creek rd since they would just let them flow out of there. i know people used to net them and fish for them even though it was technically nursery waters. the few that used to go up it after it got closed didn't last long. i haven't been through there in years to know if any go up there any more, i doubt they do.
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/31 14:41:46 (permalink)
    Yep, I've only fished for steelys 3 years. already I'd rather sight fish a steely, cast to it, and hope it takes, than fish a pod of 68786 fish.

and to answer ya, I'm pretty sure they'll run into anything with water in it.
    post edited by Deadbolt401 - 2008/03/31 14:43:53
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: steelhead runs 2008/03/31 15:20:11 (permalink)
    It is becomes a matter of quality of the experience rather than the quanity of the fish.  I don't think it is wrong to look for steelies in the skinny water and fish for them.  If that is what you like to do, then fine.  I found that after doing it for awhile it gets too easy and rather boring.  Eventually I reached a point where I wanted more of a challenge and that means fishing a different type of water. 

I fished a deep run yesterday and had no bites for about say maybe 30 to 45 minutes.  It was a big hole so I moved around some.  All of a sudden at the end of a drift, pow the float disappeared, I pulled back and the fight was on.  To make a long story short, I landed 5 steelies in about 2 hours and missed 2 or 3 others.  I really enjoyed fishing the deep run.  Each drift was full of potential and then when a fish did hit, it was exciting.  The unpredictable nature of fishing deep holes in slightly off color water makes for a much more rewarding experience for me now than standing in 6 inches of water with a pod of fish in front of me and slamming one every other cast. 

Working for the steelies, trying to read the water, guessing where they are and then finally hooking up is where I am at this point with my steelhead experience.  Of course, I did not get here overnight and I have the luxury of living close enough to the tribs I get to fish a lot.  I will say however, it is always a thrill to feel the steel no matter where you hook one.  They are awesome creatures.

pax vobiscum +
    Jump to: