weights?

Author
fishON4Me
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 142
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/27 17:35:33 (permalink)

weights?

I have a good question (I think) relating to sinkers when I am using a jig or spoon. Last year, I tried to fish with a small spoon in a local marina. I was using a 6' rod. I tied the spoon on, with no sinkers, and it did not cast out more then 5 feet. Since I am going to try using jigs and spoons again this weekend, do I use a sinker with spoons and jigs in order to cast out far? I will be using a 10ft noodle rod with mccoy 6lb test. By using a sinker with a spoon or jig, doesn't that mess up the way it is suppose to work? Please help me with this problem because I am totally new to jigs and spoons. I normally use live bait. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

3 Replies Related Threads

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: weights? 2008/03/27 17:42:19 (permalink)
    with your 10' foot rod & 6 lb. mccoy, you should have no problem casting jigs and spoons.  if you had heavier line with your 6' rod, say even 8 or 10 lb., that would be one of your main problems right there.

even with your new set up, you're not going to be able to cast a jig across the marina, but if you go with a little bigger float above your jig, you should be able to get some good distance.  with that set up, with even the smaller spoons you should be able to get some pretty good distance.

if you're fishing jigs in the streams in normal flow, one or two of the smallest split shots you can find about a foot to 18" above the jig should be the ticket.  anything more, and you wont get a natural looking drift.  don't forget, the jig heads are weighted too, so they don't require a lot of additional weight.  in fact, if the flows are on the low, slow side, i'd avoid the weight all together. 

the key is to experiment till you get your bait in the strike zone and find what the fish like. 
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: weights? 2008/03/27 19:11:52 (permalink)
    The float is what really makes the difference in the distance you cast.  I do NOT rely on additional weight on my line in order to cast further.  I do, however, use weight on my main line.  The purpose of the weight is in accordance with the flow of the current.  If there is more flow, I add more weight and vise versa.  I generally always start with about 4 BB size split shot a foot above my presentation in slow current and work my way up to as many as 8 to slow my presentation down and keep it more verticle or slightly ahead of my float in heavy current.  Never group the shot together though...keep each shot about 2 to 3 inches apart which makes for a more natural drift.

If you want to use a float that you want to cast a good distance, get yourself those styrofoam floats that have a lead weight/pin that you insert in the bottom of the float.  They are usually orange on top and white or black bottom.  They generally come in 2 sizes...small, which is slightly larger than a quarter and oval shape and the larger one is a little smaller than an egg.  Good Luck.
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/27 19:13:48

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: weights? 2008/03/27 19:39:19 (permalink)
    Fish,

The question is, are you using casting spoons, or trolling/flutter spoons? A cast spoon such as a Kastmaster, Krocodile, or KO wobbler should cast well for you. A trolling spoon will not.

As for jigs, get a few of those slip bobbers ( Erie bobbers ) with the lead pin. This will get you out, and the way they are set up, give your jig a good action as you twitch it back.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Jump to: