Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
salmotrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2132
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/21 14:33:51 (permalink)

Hello All!

Want to give an official Hello to all. I will be mod. here as well as Salmon River.
Everyone please check in & let me know where you are, how, and what waters you fish. If you don't want to tell the waters that's ok too. Just an area.

I'll take a minute and introduce myself. I live in Carlisle PA. I fish (fly fish) Spring Creeks for Wild Browns & Rainbows around here mostly, because it is my favorite thing on earth to do.
I was taught by Ed Shenk "Master Of The Letort". Thanks to him I manage to catch a fish now and then.
My dad was born in Mifflin County beside Honey Creek in New Lancaster Valley. I fish that when I can get up there. My uncle taught me how to float worms there. Has been fishing it his whole life.
When I was younger my family lived in Duncansville PA (near Altoona).
As a kid we'd fish a stream there every chance we got. Also went to Canoe Creek dam alot in the evenings.
I read about Glendale on this board and I remember going there on field trips, but never fished it.
I would like to go to some of the streams around State coll.. Don't know my way around very well.
I went to Penns. a couple years ago to fish the Drakes and had quite an adventure trying to find my way around LOL.
Aside from all that I have a great wife, and kids- 4, 4 & 2.
They Love to fly fish too. I get the fish on and let the kids fight them.
Fun times.
Enough about me. How about everyone else?

Lyrical

73 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Hello All! 2007/04/21 15:04:04 (permalink)
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/03/04 16:44:35
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Hello All! 2007/04/21 15:43:29 (permalink)
    Sal,

I grew up in Hollidaysburg.  Lived in Erie a few years, now in State College.  I fish the J, pretty much exclusively.  I'll fish the other waters when the J is high, but don't know them well, except Spruce. 

Drake is the man when it comes to suckers.    His prices are outragous though.  I shop at Spruce Creek Outfitters and make fun of drake when I'm there too, he just doesn't know it yet. 

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    JMFLYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Hello All! 2007/04/22 14:17:18 (permalink)
    Hello All,
    I live in Roaring Spring, having moved here about 5 yrs. ago.  I used to live up in Cameron county, and spent much of my time fishing somewhere in the NC region.  I am still learning my away around the area with regards to fishing, but frequent the Littl J, as well as Spring, and some of the smaller waters around here.  I am pleasantly suprised by the trout fishing in the area, and keep on finding new places to explore.

Best of luck!
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Hello All! 2007/04/22 20:46:36 (permalink)
    I was born and grew up fishing in Huntingdon county. At the age of 13 my mother bought a property on Spring Creek thats less then 50 yards from the stream. I consider it my home stream and fish it more then anywhere else. I know that creek like the back of my hand and its hatches as well. After college, I moved to milesburg, the confluence of Bald Eagle and Spring Creek are less then 200 yards from my house. For the most part Im self taught fly fisher and fly tyer. Ive never had a fly fishing mentor, and Im pretty confident I dont need one now. Dan(drake) made his sucker fishing famous while fishing with me. Everyone knows my door is always open to fish with around here, all you have to do is speak up.

JMFLYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Hello All! 2007/04/23 15:58:23 (permalink)
    Hey not looking for anyone to give up there favorite spots....but a couple questions about some of the water in the area.......

1.  The stream above the Sportsmen's Club in Bellwood.....Is it fishable up to the dam?

2.  Is the stream between the dams on Blair Gap fishable?

3.  Is the water below Hollidaysburg car shops (I think it is the Frankstown branch) fishable in that area?

Not looking to be spoon fed info, as I will go out and explore on my own, but some of the places I asked about look good.......just not sure if they support any fish. 

Thanks!

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Hello All! 2007/04/23 16:53:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JMFLYFISHER

Hey not looking for anyone to give up there favorite spots....but a couple questions about some of the water in the area.......

1. The stream above the Sportsmen's Club in Bellwood.....Is it fishable up to the dam?

2. Is the stream between the dams on Blair Gap fishable?

3. Is the water below Hollidaysburg car shops (I think it is the Frankstown branch) fishable in that area?

Not looking to be spoon fed info, as I will go out and explore on my own, but some of the places I asked about look good.......just not sure if they support any fish.

Thanks!

#1 - i believe your still talking about the little j there, its fishable.

#2 - dont know

#3 - Frankstown Branch is fishable
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Hello All! 2007/04/23 19:48:40 (permalink)
    sal  I live in cambria county & fish the little j but my favorite stream is spring creek, I started fishing paradise more than 50 years ago when you had to sign in & get a badge & have loved this stream for many years, about 10 years ago I bought a camp on this great stream & now I fish it about a 100 days a year, if you get a chance give it a try & yes I am a fly fisherman
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/04/23 21:30:45 (permalink)

3.  Is the water below Hollidaysburg car shops (I think it is the Frankstown branch) fishable in that area?

JM --

The stream at the shops is Blair Gap Run.  If is a tuff wade but CAN support wild trout.   Lots of suckers and carp.  It runs parallel to the river road and meets the Frankstown branch where the river road meets resouvoir rd.  This section is a dirt hole, with a sewage plant dumping in just upstream about a half mile.  The middle sections of blair gap run are stocked heavily and the headwaters are native fish.  Neither are particularly appealing like they were as a kid.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    RE: Hello All! 2007/05/24 12:24:10 (permalink)

post edited by Panfisher - 2012/09/17 11:22:47
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/05/24 20:36:17 (permalink)
    Great backrounds you guys have.
    I used to fish the Blair Run as a kid.
    I would love to hear more about fishing the paradise. A few books I have talk about it some, but I'm sure personal stories are better.
    Feel free to post some stories- this goes out to everyone. Maybe I'll write a little something if I can dream a good one up. LOL.
    Thanks guys for the posts. I really like this board. If anyone ever has an idea to make things better here, or a good subject please feel free to put it up.
    Salmo

Lyrical
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Hello All! 2007/05/26 16:56:53 (permalink)
    My Dad fished the PAradise when you could only make so many trips per year and had to sign in and all that.  At that time they encouraged keeping 1 fish per trip.  That fish was measured and replaced with a similar sized fish.  They also asked how many fish you caught and they replaced 10% for hooking mortality.  The season ended on July 4th.

Each day they signalled the begining of fish hours with a Klaxon horn.

When I started to fish the Paradise, at age 4, there was no more keeping of fish and no more Klaxon horn.  My Dad had every Tuesday off and we went to the Paradise every Tuesday.  It was a fairly long trip in those days, since, for you Cambria County folks, we lived in Portage.

When it came time to go to college, Penn State was my only choice due to the proximity to the Paradise.  I must say, that I probably fished it at least 3 days per week during the school year and then again every Tuesday during the summer layoff.

At one point, Del Graff, trying to add to his resume in a bid to get the promotion to Executive Director (sound familiar Gary Alt fans?), wanted to turn the place that basically introduced America to flyfishing and the Catch and Release philosophy into a two fish use anything including live bait area so that he could push Project Future.

At a meeting at the Stackhouse, over 600 flyfishermen, including some that bussed in from various states, were set to address the Fish Commission and Del with regard to their feelings.  However, in a procedural move, Del decreed that since there were only 2 persons there to speak for the change away from the current rules, only 2 persons could speak for those that wanted to keep things the way they were.

I was selected by the group (Lord knows why some college kid got that nomination) along with a gentleman that usually also fished every Tuesday and who I can only remmebr as Pat.  Those that were for the changes basically stated that they didn;t want excluded any more form that less than a mile section of water and that Project Future was essential to trout fishing in PA.

My little speech centered around how the basic premise of Project Future had been tried in New York in 1924 as outlined in the book "A Complete Brown Trout" or at least I thin that is what the name of it was -- it has been about 20+ years -- and it failed miserably.  Del's answer was that if he couldn;t get this project done in his backyard, then he would have no chance anywhere else in the state.

Pat's speech went a little differently.  He outlined that he had been diagnosed with cancer and there was no hope for recovery.  His only theropy was to do something that he loved and that something was flyfishing the Paradise.  By doing so he had beaten the year-to-live sentence he had been given by 3 years at that point.

I am pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house when he was done -- except for Del.  He flat out said if they the commissioners voted not to make the changes he wanted, he would have the grass mowing stopped (something that was rather essential because of the no wading rule), would stop all stocking (at that time the Paradise got 50 fish per week for hooking mortality, 150 fish before Memorial Day, and a few worn out breeders after they were used the last time), and that no further repairs would be done to any dams, deflectors, or diverters so that the once deep pools whould become no more than what the stream was above or below.

The commissioner voted for no changes and Del said he would make good on his promise.

While we had won somewhat, I saw Pat at his car after the meeting.  He was giving away his gear to those that had traveled so far to defend the Paradise.  I asked him what he was doinf and he said, " That man just signed my death warrant and want those that came here today to perhaps use this gear to experience some of the joy that it brought me over the last couple of year.  I know it won;t be here, but maybe somewhere."  He gave me a leather streamer wallet stuffed witht he huge mariboo streams that we used to attract the huge trout up in the woods, where you could only fish from one side.

For about a year we continued to go back the Paradise and fight the weeds and brush to fish for a dwindling number of smaller fish, but I never saw Pat again.  One day, I ran into a gentleman that we knew fron Johnstown and asked if he ever saw Pat on the stream.  He told me that he had died less than a month after the meeting.

If you would like to hear some other Paradise stories, let me know.

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    flyfishindave
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 659
    RE: Hello All! 2007/05/27 10:30:28 (permalink)
    panfisher I live in loretto pa & I amnot retired but I work construction
    & I work in state college a lot so I stay at camp instead of driving home
    every night life is good when I have a fly rod in hand
    Dave
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/05/27 12:15:54 (permalink)
    Nice guys. I want to post a story or two of my own, but somehow my journal has felt a need to remain illusive. I usually write things down just after fishing so the details are not lost in time. When I read over them I find those small details are what puts me right back to that moment in time. Many Great Battles have been won and lost in my journal.
    As soon as I can locate it I'll write a little something.
    That's some read about the paradise. Too bad things have to change.

Lyrical
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Hello All! 2007/05/28 19:58:09 (permalink)
    Greetings everyone.

I was born and raised in the Poconos and lived there for 25 years. Moved west in 95 to work+live inYellowstone. Did that for 2 years then moved to West Yellowstone for 3 years. Moved with my girlfriend at the time to eastern Washington to a small town called Asotin to fish for Steelhead with my spey rod. Then have spent the last 7 years in colorado. I will be moving back to Pa in about 3 weeks and I am excited to explore other places in the state that I have not had the chance to in the first 25 years. Would love to hook up with some of you guys and always willing to share what I know in addition to the places i have lived.
      Tight Lines
       D.Woolever
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/05/28 20:26:08 (permalink)
    Nice to have you aboard. I hope you won't be disappointed back in PA with all the great fishing there is to be had out there. As the saying goes "There's no place like home". Holds true for me.
    Welcome home as I can see you're already back here in spirit.

Lyrical
    duncsdad
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 515
    RE: Hello All! 2007/05/31 19:53:15 (permalink)
    Speaking of Paradise stories, I remember being at the lower bridge parking lot across from the hatchery when a car pulled in and two older ladies got out.  They opened the trunk, got out some lawn chairs and fishing gear and made their way slowly to the end of the stream.  They set up the chairs, baited some hooks with worms and tossed their bobbered lines into the pool.  I didn't have the heart to tell them it was a flyfishing only area.

While fishing the Paradise, I met Ned Smith who was doing pencil sketches and Gary Loomis who was testing a solid, yes solid, boron rod.  He demonstrated casting it and then backed his van over it several times to show that it was practicaly indestrucable. 

Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
    ztroutman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Hello All! 2007/06/05 12:44:27 (permalink)
    I grew up in Potts Grove, near Milton.  Learned to fish from my Dad and Grandpa.  My Grandpa lived in Aaronsburg, so I cut my teeth on Elk Creek and Penns Creek.  I fished Big Pine, Slate and Cedar Runs.  Moved to Hanover 20 years ago and fish the Yellow Breeches, Letort, Big Spring, Clarks Creek and Codorus Creek.  I guided with Matt and Nicole Zito who used to own the Yellow Breeches House in Boiling Springs.  While guiding on the Yellow Breeches I got a chance to meet Ed Shenk, Ed Koch, Joe Humphreys, Charlie and Bryan Meck.  I enjoyed guiding, but don't let anyone try to tell you that it is a great job.  It was fun, but hard work, and you always had to be people oriented.  Matt and Nicole sold their business and moved to Maine.  I have a friend who lives in Huntingdon and I get out there to fish the Little J and Spruce.  In addition to trout fishing, I get out alot in the summer to fish for smallies on the Susky and Juniata.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/06/05 15:27:47 (permalink)
    Hey ZTM- maybe I've seen you around. We share the same fishing grounds.
    Let me know if you ever want to go fishing. I may not be too good, but you won't need to be a guide. I fish the Letort mostly, but am known to fish other water as well.

Lyrical
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Hello All! 2007/06/29 11:21:28 (permalink)
    What a cool thread you guys have here.  It's too bad Terry won't be in on this one, as I'd just have to stop in and read up on what's going on down in SCPA.  Up here in steehead land, it's all troll this, WCO that.  Keep up the great work on this board, salmo.  I think I may just stop in and read up every now and again.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/08/16 13:17:52 (permalink)
    Thanks, but the men do all the work. Seasoned anglers all. Just wish I could contribute more. I haven't fished much this year.

Lyrical
    Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: Hello All! 2007/09/21 11:37:06 (permalink)
    Hello everyone, I grew up in Philipsburg spin fishing the small mountain streams like, Six-mile Run, Black Moshannon, Black Bear, Cold Stream and Bald Eagle with my father. One day he brought his flyrod, and taught me what little he knew, and I basically took it from there, he also had an old fly tying kit, that I still use today. Althought I still enjoy and love those small mountain streams, the minute I turned sixteen my fishing boundaries grew extreamly, Spring Creek, Penns Creek, Logan Branch, and my personal favorite the Little J. I thank the Lord every day that when he placed me on this earth he put me only an hour away from some of the greatest limestone creeks in the country. I'm alway eager to learn new tactics, new pattern, new water.

Yeuingling Lager is the necture of the gods.

C'mon
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Hello All! 2007/10/02 10:16:23 (permalink)
    I grew up in Clearfield, PA. Spin fishing till I got a flyrod for my 10th birthday. Been hooked ever since. My dad and grandfather taught me what I know taking me on trips up in the mountains for native brookies for as long as I remember. I grew up fishing the West Branch of the Susquehanna. Till I was old enough to drive my brothers and I would ride our bikes to the river and fish all day for bass and carp. I can still remember seeing my first carp at the age of 10-11 and we had no idea what it was. We were down there with steel leaders and these huge hooks and worms trying to catch them...haha

Trout season always brought the trip to my grandparents house where we always went for the first day. And still do. To fish Penns Creek, Sinking Creek, Po-Valley.

There was also the yearly trip to O.C. Maryland to fish the Indian River Inlet for Striper and Sea Trout.

When I went to college I moved to Pittsburgh where I fished the Ohio river 2-3 times a week. And it was while out there I learned about Steelhead fishing from some guys I worked with. An older retired guy kind of took me under his wing and took me to Erie and showed me Elk creek, and all his other little favorite streams like the Yough, and Raccoon Creek. I learned alot from him, and will never forget some of those trips. 

Since then I've kind of been all over, Gettysburg, New Jersey, but my work has brought me back home. And I am now back in Clearfield. Kind of central to everywhere I love to fish. Back on my home waters but only a few short hours from what I feel is the best fishing in the State.

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/10/03 15:49:57 (permalink)
    Cool- I've never fished for Sea trout. Would like to some time.

Lyrical
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Hello All! 2007/10/03 16:37:42 (permalink)
    It's a blast... soon as the water cools down this is the time to go. Still to warm down there to fish the Inlet, fish aren't there yet.
    nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: Hello All! 2007/11/10 07:21:58 (permalink)
    i grew up in curwensville, and fished the river just about every day as a kid. joined the service; remember all our vetrans, not just on monday, but every day; lived near south padre island and fished the waters there. moved back to pa.(why????) and live in philipsburg now. fish all the trout streams,(noodle rod w/ ultalight reel and 2# test), also fish sayers,c-ville,shawville,and erie. i don't have a favorite method or fish, but i probably like to fish for big channels at howard. it's a semi-world class fishery, that not alot of people know about.
    PghSmallie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Hello All! 2007/12/17 23:22:37 (permalink)
    Hey!  I just found this forum while I was looking up steelhead stuff...I live in Pittsburgh now, but I grew up in Hollidaysburg, PA.  I learned to fly fish on Penn's, the Little J, Spruce Creek, and Yellow Creek in Bedford County.  I get back to fish as often as I can, but most of my fishing is within an hours drive from Pittsburgh.

Someone on this discussion mentioned the Frankstown Branch of the Juniata River - see if you can get info on the Rails-to-Trails.  If I'm thinking of the right place (and I could be totally wrong) you can get decent access to the stream from Rails-to-Trails.

I'd love to learn more about the Little J.  To be honest, I've never done all that great there, and I've fished during some heavy hatches where there were lots of bugs but not a whole lot of fish.  I usually fish near Barree.  Maybe there are better places to go...Anyhow.  Glad I found this discussion.  Yeah, Hollidaysburg!  :)

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/12/18 06:10:52 (permalink)
    Go Golden Tigers!

Lyrical
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/12/18 08:28:32 (permalink)
    I didn't know we had so many H-burg grads here.  Small world I guess.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hello All! 2007/12/18 16:28:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I didn't know we had so many H-burg grads here.  Small world I guess.

I moved away in 8th grade, but Duncansville will always be "Home".

Lyrical
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: