Broken FLY Rod

Author
shank_Master
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 43
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/23 10:15:16 (permalink)

Broken FLY Rod

hey this is the first time this has really happened  to me  when i was fishing fri   i  hook a pretty  nice fish   about 8-9 pounds  it swim in on me as  i was  wadded out  any way when i went to  reel in the slack he took off  again and (SNAP) went my tipe  i have a st croix  avid  4 peice  .. but after reading there site I never  registerd   i thought i had a life time warranty ...  i sent them an email . has anyone delt with this having to  get a st corix rod  replace or fixed

by the way I landed the fish  broken rod and all   the guy next to me keep him (he was going to eat it) which is fine  I have to get the pics  devloped ? So any help  will be nice..

AND HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE  
post edited by shank_Master - 2008/03/23 10:18:19

15 Replies Related Threads

centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 11:04:09 (permalink)
    Yes i had the same problem. I was at Walnut one day the bite was on and i broken my float rod, same deal as you i didn't fill out my card. So i called them told them my problem, i had to send in a  CHECK FOR $50  and they replaced it no questions asked. I had my rod in about 4 weeks after sending it in. And this was just like 2 months ago, so hope that helps you.

Centerpin_drift!~

Get the Drift !!!!!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 11:07:15 (permalink)
    I have broken a Sage, and 2 Fenwicks that I never registered.  All three of them were replaced withing a month, no questions asked.  I can't see St. Croix's customer service being any diffferent.  I would call them tomorrow and ask, but I would be willing to bet they will replace it for no more than the cost of shipping.
    shank_Master
    New Angler
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 13:04:15 (permalink)

here the guy that broke the rod

here another nice one all in all a great trip only about 18 fish   all day  to many hooks to list  but  this is my last trip of the year  will start back up in Oct sept .. on a note the smolts  are loaded  all over elk upper and lower
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 13:11:27 (permalink)
    I just sent my Scott back to replace a broken tip.  It is going to cost a $25 and depending on what they decide, another $20 or so.  The life time warranty covers the repair and replacement, but there may be a cost for shipping and handling.  Go ahead and send it back with a cover letter explaining your problem and I would bet they will honor the warranty.

pax vobiscum +
    shank_Master
    New Angler
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 13:19:04 (permalink)
    I am going to call them tomorrow  But I THINK i am going to buy a better rod  and keep the st croix  asa back up  Its only a few months old   . i thought  they have a  good rod  i used a st croix noodle rod for years  and never a problem ..

post edited by shank_Master - 2008/03/23 13:20:15
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 13:39:36 (permalink)

_
    post edited by chrisrowboat - 2008/03/23 13:43:28
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 13:42:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: chrisrowboat

You have to watch the tip on any fly rod. You have to keep the fish on the but end of the rod and not lift with the tip. Bowing down is anther term for it. The tip is not forgiving as a noodle rod.
    All the new rods will cost you for warrantee work any where from $25 plus your shipping to them to $50 and you paying for shipping to them. The rod companies have lost a lot of money on warrantee work since Orivs started giving their 25 year no questions asked warrantee. The rod companies wish to only warrantee manufacturing defects. These no question  are on the way out warrantees probably will not be around much in the foreseeable future.
    Learn to fight the fish the proper way with the right rod and you should not have to worry about braking the rod.
    Chris

shank_Master
    New Angler
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 14:11:06 (permalink)

You have to watch the tip on any fly rod. You have to keep the fish on the but end of the rod and not lift with the tip. Bowing down is anther term for it. The tip is not forgiving as a noodle rod.
    All the new rods will cost you for warrantee work any where from $25 plus your shipping to them to $50 and you paying for shipping to them. The rod companies have lost a lot of money on warrantee work since Orivs started giving their 25 year no questions asked warrantee. The rod companies wish to only warrantee manufacturing defects. These no question  are on the way out warrantees probably will not be around much in the foreseeable future.
    Learn to fight the fish the proper way with the right rod and you should not have to worry about braking the rod.
    Chris

Ok  first i would like to say thanks for your input. and as for LEaRNING  how to fight a fish  well  I think after 25 years  of fishing  i dont have to worry  about that it was a fluke   the way  it happened.. second   one of the  reason  I bought the St Croix  Is the fact that the avid Series rods come with a life time  warranty  and as the sales man said when i bought the rod  " even if i close  the door on the rod and break it  . St Croix will fix it " I am  going to buy  a Orvis  rod  because of the LIFE TIME  WARRANTY it carries  with NO QUESTIONS ASKED   but   being a disabled  Veteran  and buying USA  products  is  important  but not when  its not a great product

jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 19:06:54 (permalink)
    BROKE AN UGLY STIK EIGHT WEIGHT AT THE BUTT SECTION. INSTEAD OF MAILING IT TO THEM, I PUT IT ON THE COPY MACHINE, TOOK A PICTURE OF THE BREAK AND MAILED IT TO THEM.  THEY MAILED ME A NEW TIP, SO I REPEATED MY REQUEST WHEREUPON THEY MAILED ME THE BUTT SECTION!

I APPRECIATED SUCH PRODUCT BACKING AND HAVE BOUGHT SEVERAL MORE!
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 20:28:44 (permalink)
    I bought a St. Croix Avid 7 Wght last year and registered it online.  I beat the hell out of it last year and couldn't break it fishing.  I latched onto a carp last year and gave that pole everything it could handle, it was fully tested.  You can find the St. Croix Warranty info here.  Looks like its gonna cost you $20.

http://www.stcroixrods.com/content.asp?id=14&section=about

jonnyfishon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2089
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 20:46:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

BROKE AN UGLY STIK EIGHT WEIGHT AT THE BUTT SECTION. INSTEAD OF MAILING IT TO THEM, I PUT IT ON THE COPY MACHINE, TOOK A PICTURE OF THE BREAK AND MAILED IT TO THEM.  THEY MAILED ME A NEW TIP, SO I REPEATED MY REQUEST WHEREUPON THEY MAILED ME THE BUTT SECTION!

I APPRECIATED SUCH PRODUCT BACKING AND HAVE BOUGHT SEVERAL MORE!

You broke an ugly stick.WOW.I only use U-stick for bass and stripers.To heavy and not sensitive for trout.There are some good tackel shops out there that will give you a new rod and they deal with the vendors.
    Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 20:58:21 (permalink)
    Had to be a defective "Ugly Stik", I have never seen one broken by a fish before.
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/23 21:51:01 (permalink)
    You will pay to get the Orvis fixed also and be without it for a month,at least.Of all the "high dollar" & "better" rods on the market it is hard to beat Cabelas breakage warrenty.25 years of free replacement.Landed many steel and salmon on a 8wt. withno problums.Fell last winter on Elk, came down on the rod, my 4 piece was now a 6piece.Walked in the store with it and got a brand new one for free.Even told them what happened.I have Orvis and many other rods,their breakage policy is all about the same 20-35$.
    captnkirk
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 274
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/24 06:35:45 (permalink)
    A  new Okuma noodle rod is out there that comes with a lifetime warranty. Replaced by the supplier. Okuma Guide Select Steelhead Rod. Looks like a little better warranty than I have seen from the other top end rods out there. Been trying to get some in store for a month now.
    shank_Master
    New Angler
    RE: Broken FLY Rod 2008/03/24 17:02:19 (permalink)
    called them today  and its coverd  send them $20 and they will replace the section that broke .. I am just glad it happened  now and not the start of the seasson
    post edited by shank_Master - 2008/03/24 17:06:39
    Jump to: