Erie Channels?

Author
porter64
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 161
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/22 23:30:49 (permalink)

Erie Channels?

Not a popular topic up there this time of year; but I wanted to come up there one summer just for big channel cats. I heard that you can hook up with big cats at the trib mouths certain times of the year. Of course I'm usually tied up everytime between fall and winter steelies and in the spring and summer smallies. Can anyone testify?

1 Reply Related Threads

qsbill
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Erie Channels? 2008/03/23 08:55:50 (permalink)
    Hi Pporter64
    I go to the mouth at Elk Creek. Over the years of fishing, I and my friends who have fished for cats have had some big ones on the line. I have seen them over 30in caught. My son got one hooked, I pulled the anchor, turned into a power boat, dragged our canoe around the mouth for almost an hour, got Mr. Wisker up to the side of the canoe, I had a small net, no gaf, could not land him (it's head was huge and, ain't put'n my finger in that :>), took the line back down and we lost him in a pile of roots. The next year, I bought a BIGGER NET!! Warmer rain at end of April to end of May usually starts the action. Fishing right into the lake at the mouth is also a good area as the cats home in on the flow form the creek.
    Cats are as strong as any fish and even small ones give a good fight!
    Tight Lines.
    Bill
    Jump to: