Author
Finster
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/22 08:51:42 (permalink)

Waves

Hey everyone,
                  I'm still on the pacific coast working for a living. I'll be back in the next few weeks. I drive along the cost every day and the Pacific Ocean  instills little fear into me. I think Erie is far more hostile than what I have seen on this ocean the past few months I have been here. There have been times but Erie throwing a fit  seems to be worse.  The reason I'm babbling about this is because I would like to start a thread about some of the worst weather you have found yourselves in?  I've been in 4 footers on Erie and it was not fun, I can just imagine some of the stories out there.  

19 Replies Related Threads

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: Waves 2008/03/22 09:15:03 (permalink)
    My brother and I in a 17 foot bay boat on the Texas coast..We were 16 and 19 at the time.

We decided to venture out about 10 miles for kingfish. By the time we got out there a storm hit from nowhere.
    We started back but got caught in it. Before we realized, we were in 8-12 footers. With lightning striking EVERYWHERE.

That ws the WORST day of my life...lol

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Waves 2008/03/22 09:32:19 (permalink)
    40 ft sailboat outside off ny on the atlantic, in 60 mph gusts w/ zero visibility and heavy downpour.

38 ft sail in chesapeake, w/sustained 35's and 45 gusts and heavy downpour, this rain came down so fast.

outside of R.I. in 8 ft seas in a 44 ft sail.

These all happened on a trip and all w/ little warning.The first one was coming back in from trip for a week up to long island ny and we saw the storm come at us and we picked a spot to stay and just did circles till it ended.

the 2nd was coming into an anchorage for the evening and in a river, again we stayed in one place and circled till it ended.

the 3rd was coming back in from a week off block is., and the forecast turned sour.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Waves 2008/03/22 10:38:16 (permalink)
    I let myself get caught in 8+ on Erie once trying to get the last five Perch. I may GET caught again, but I won't LET it happen over fish again.

Got caught in a storm on Arthur one night. No fear of high seas, but the roaring sound like a tornado ( which never landed ), had me beaching the boat, and finding cover.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Waves 2008/03/22 11:27:18 (permalink)
    Pymatuning has humbled us on a couple occasions. If you've been on this lake when the weather turns, you know what I'm talking about.
    joedirt
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 209
    RE: Waves 2008/03/22 15:28:47 (permalink)
    On erie in my 21 ft Lund Sport Angler. Easy 6 footers. I was trollin 800 yards off of walnut for Steelies. North winds 30 -35 mph. I was ok till the one time i turned north instead of south on the end of a run. Took a six footer right over the bow. I had my bow cover on and top up. Trolling motor and bow fish finder totaly disappeared in to the wave. My shorts got soiled but the boat didnt take on any water. Decided to retire for the day. Tried to get back into Walnut marina, caught a wave and **** near surfed past the entrance and up to the bridge. A buddy of my told me to slow down entering the channel. I told him he had a better chance of seeing God that day. Come to think of it, seeing the almighty might have been a welcome sight because i know i was talkin to him the whole time. 

Yes the water was near calm when i went out in the morning. The flag was limp.

Thank you Lund!

"Life is a garden, Dig It"
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Waves 2008/03/22 21:49:27 (permalink)
    pymatuning got the best of me last may of of harris island motor quit waves huge rollers thank god the minn kota got me in took 1hr and lots of hail marys,no kiddin i was scared!

I have become comfortably numb
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Waves 2008/03/23 06:15:00 (permalink)
    Small boat and eire has scared me more than once, although the worst was on  Pymatuning ,believe it or not! Trolling motor was barely(if that) moving us ahead withwaves coming over the front of 17' bass boat. Ended up firing up the big motor and making my buddy sit up front(he wasn't happy) pretending to be running the trolling motor! Stupider yet I actually considered doin the drift again!

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Waves 2008/03/24 00:59:22 (permalink)
    Erie from glass flat to 6 ft (true 6 ft) in less than 15 min.  Small 16ft half way between barcelona and dunkirk.......bad scene.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Waves 2008/03/24 11:55:32 (permalink)
    Got caught in honest 8-10's with an occassional 12 on Erie fishing out of Dunkirk, NY in our 25' hardtop Skiffcraft.  We were fishing a charity tourney with the Steelers vs. the Bills.  We had Tunch Ilkin from the steelers fishing with us at the time.  Gives you an idea how long ago that was.  A storm front rolled through late in the morning and the lake went from 2-4' rollers with a little chop to 8-10' wind whipped waves in no time.  We were out about 15 mi. to the NW of the harbor and couldn't do much more than trolling speed with the following sea or we would spear the waves in front of us.  If you ever saw Forest Gump and saw the legless guy up on the mast in the storm on the gulf yelling and screaming, that was what Tunch was doing only he was standing up on the seats poking his head up over the hard top.  Funny to see!  Made it in fine and we even caught a few eyes and a 12# brown trout that Tunch was going to put on the wall.  Have pictures from that day taken at noon that you would swear were taken at midnight.  Everyone got caught in it that day. 

Also was out at the Canadian line when I was a first mate for a charter and the wind kicked up big time (we started off the day in 3-5's with an occassional 6) and were pushing 7-9'.  We were catching fish though and the customers didn't want to go in and we were already WAY out there.  Only bad thing was, a customer dropped a rod in the drink when the levelwind pinched his finger.  Luckily, the foam grip on the rod get it floating.  I quickly grabbed an old milk jug we had in the back of the boat and tossed it as close to the rod as I could and told the guys to not take their eye off it.  We made our big turn (still had 4 riggers, 4 dipsies and a couple flatlines out) and I went out on the bow with the net.  Can't believe it but we actually got the rod back, scooped up the jug and the customer landed the 10# lake trout that was still hooked up.  It was not fun up on that bow though.  I was soaked to the bone the rest of the day but I did get a good tip.
    MackJ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 522
    RE: Waves 2008/03/24 12:59:04 (permalink)
    Me and a buddy were 7 miles off the coast of Hilton Head in my 12 foot deep-V flyfishing for Blue Marlin when I hooked into a 900 pounder.  I had to let him run a bit with 7X tippet, and was so busy playing him that we didn't notice the Bahrainian Freighter passing close by.  Anywhoo, we got sucked into the ballast and didn't emerge until 2 days later in New York Harbor, right in front of the Statue of Liberty.  Landed the fish though.  After that, I added an extra 50 feet of backing to my reel as the fish nearly spooled me.  True story.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Waves 2008/03/24 14:30:32 (permalink)
    Two very different weather pattterns, both had their particular moments of worry.

First was a warm beautiful day off San Juan Del Sur in lower Nicaragua in the early sixties (I grew up there for a few years).  I was drifting on a blow up raft from the beach, not paying any attention to where I was going.  I must have fallen asleep for when I realized my surroundings I was so far out in the ocean the people on the beach looked like ants and I was drifting in a huge pool of some yellow foamy substance.  Scared, I paddled like hell then soon noticed people waving their arms yelling at me tp get back in.  The paddling continued and when I reached shore I was told that foamy stuff I had been floating in was usually habitated by sharks looking for food.  There I was, shark bait and didn't even know it!

Second was about three years ago on Lake Erie. With relatives visiting I wanted them to enjoy fishing a perch pack so we headed out about five or six miles.  My boat at the time was a Wooldridge jet boat, great for the Allegheny but not the best craft for the lake but off we went.  Caught lots of fish but the clear calm morning lake soon turned windy...then more windy.  My anchor would not hold us and the rollers were building so I felt it was time to return to Walnut.  The ride back in was so filled with rollers, it was hard to ride the waves and we dropped into them a few times hitting harder than I liked.  The relatives had their doubts about us getting in but we did.  A lesser boat might have broken apart under that punishment but we all made it back, very wet but safe.  Now I pay closer attention to the wind and wave reports!!
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: Waves 2008/03/24 16:42:01 (permalink)
    pymatuning is a bad mammy jammer I kissed my but goodbye a few times!!!!
    waves so high they hit the road on the causway....
    northparklake
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 55
    RE: Waves 2008/03/24 21:59:28 (permalink)
    i went out by choice on two occasions on true 8 to 12 footers. by jetski of course but it was a fun ride. the waves are closer together than in the ocean most of the time
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Waves 2008/03/24 23:21:59 (permalink)
    Pymy does get bad.......Mostly because people don't expect it.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    PanfishSlayer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 141
    RE: Waves 2008/03/25 09:05:13 (permalink)
    It was Pymy for me to.

Myself and a buddy were fishing Tuttle cove, through all the plants, and really pulling in a lot of nice perch.  As a matter of fact, it was probably the best day that I have ever had on that lake between the yellows, and the nice eating sized channels we were bringing in.

Regardless of all this there were storm clouds on the horizon and well we were just to dumb to pull in our lines earlier and get back to the launch....Either way, the trip back to the Linesville Marina was just about the scariest things I belives I've ever gone through whil fishing. 

I never thought the Marina was THAT far away....but apparently I was wrong.
    BigSplash
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Waves 2008/03/25 10:54:11 (permalink)
    Stupid is as Stupid does!  Late September, 70-75 degrees, Coneaut Harbor, forecast decreasing light winds out of west, waves 0 to 2 ft, mild to increasing haze, possible evening scattered thunder storms.  One of the few times I've ever put my 16ft bass boat on lake erie.  Conditions looked great, & my dad wanted to do a little perch fishing.  Hit the water at 7am, and the lake was like a farm pond.  Shot out about 4 miles, found some fish in 30-35 feet, but mostly small.  Saw a school of boats a little farther out, so we decided to venture a little further.  They were sitting on a school of slab perch, 13-15 inches.  The bite was slow, but the fish were big.  As the light wind blew us further east, the bite picked up and things couldn't have been better.  By noon or 1:00, we were only about a dozen fish shy of our limit, but we noticed two troubling things.  First, a haze had blown in to our south, and we could no longer see the shore.  Second, we began to notice how the boat was rocking.  It wasn't rough, just broad rolling swells were making us a little unstable on our feet.  Then around 1:30, we glanced back to our west-north-west, and the sky looked black.  Dad said "don't we have to go that way".  Not being able to see the shore, we pulled up next to a charter boat and asked him for a heading to Coneaut Harbor. In a very startled voice, he said, "are you kidding?  Do you know where you are?"  Obviously not!  He said, "you are due north of Walnut creek!"  He gave us a heading, and dad immediately got out our hand held Boy Scout compass, lined up the heading and I put the hammer down on the 60hp evenrude.  We ran full throttle for about 45 minutes when we finally could see the light house on the horizon.  Then the waves got so big, about 4-5 feet, that I had to trim up the engine to keep the nose up, slowing us way down.  Water was still busting over the bow & sides like crazy.  Both bilge pumps going full blast, and Dad using the emergency bail bucket to keep the water below the floor.  By the time we made it into the harbor, we were fighting 6-7 footers, remember this is a 16ft bass boat.  While tying the boat down on the trailer, a heavy hail storm hit with heavy rain, thuder & lightening.  On our way home, we heard on the news about a sail boat that had tried to make the harbor about 3pm.  It had crashed on the rocks, killing two people. Believe you me, we spent a lot of time thanking God and counting our blessings.  This happened about 12 years ago, before portable GPS units, and although I've had my boat on Erie since then, I never go out more that 3-4 miles, always have a radio & gps.  Lesson learned!!!
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Waves 2008/03/25 12:03:14 (permalink)
    Was on Erie In 7-8ft waves and my motor ingested water and locked up....a friend who was also fishing that day towed us in...close call that day...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    AzzUR
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Waves 2008/03/25 12:50:50 (permalink)
    Pymatuning for me too.....my father and I were out in a 15 ft Sea Nymph fishing machine with a 9.9 only.  Got caught out on the north end of the lake, almost didn't make it back.  No thunderstorm, actually it was even a little sunny that day, but the wind was HOWLING out of the northwest.  I am not sure how big the waves were, but they had me checking my shorts.......Three guys in a canoe went in the drink the same day, another fisherman in a tri hull managed to gather them in and brought them back to the launch where we were at.   Trying to get the boat out of the water, the waves actually threw the boat up onto the shore they were pounding so hard.   LOL we sold the Sea Nymph a couple months later, got a 19.5ft SmokerCraft with a 110 Johnson and a 9.9 kicker.  We ever get caught out there in conditions like that again, the PAFBC can fine my****all they want when I get to shore, I am dropping the 110 and getting off there.   Better to be alive and fined, than the alternative....
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 580
    RE: Waves 2008/03/25 18:18:56 (permalink)
    I agree, AzzUR, I would do the same. Unfortunately, all we had was a 9.9. We've had a few close calls but the most recent was last year. We headed out of Espyville despite some spotty thunderstorms thoughout the day (was sunny for the most part but sporadic strong storms. Despite this, we launched, made it to about the causeway underpass when it absolutely unleashed something vicious -- tornado siren and all. We more or less took a straight run towards shore on the opposite side of the causeway (where the marina is), crashed it onto shore and took refuge inside. The force and amount of rain was rediculous, not to mention the waves.

A couple guys in a bass boat were with us throughout this ordeal, too. That said, we waited it out for a couple hours and actually ended up fishing it once it cleared -- evening ended nice and sunny, lake was flat. Funny the way things go at that lake sometimes.
    Jump to: