Blue Walleye

Author
dealinsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 318
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/21 09:48:40 (permalink)

Blue Walleye

Has anyone ever seen or caught any blue walleye around Erie or PA??  This one is from the French River in Canada, and is most likely a genetic mutation in a yellow walleye.

Some more info : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_walleye

post edited by dealinsteel - 2008/03/21 10:04:25

22 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 09:59:45 (permalink)
    As i kid I caught one in lake Erie. I believe that is a Blue Pike, which used to thrive in lake Erie. I believe they are now considered extinct, and protected.(In lake Erie) Nice fish though.
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2008/03/21 10:01:01

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 10:23:51 (permalink)
    If that's a blue pike, its a TOAD!

Next time you get one, run it over to Walnut and see if the PFBC wants to test genetics.  I believe that there is actually a reward out there for a blue pike as well!
    Katty
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 169
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 10:24:56 (permalink)
    I believe dealinsteel is correct that it is a like a mix or a genetic mutation. The true blue pike are now considered to be extinct. I caught one off of Barcelona NY. in the late 80's, and discussed the fish with a NY. fish cop. and this is what I was told.
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 10:48:19 (permalink)
    Blue pike are non exhistant to back up Storm Warning....A walleye can have different color for different reason...

You can catch fish that are darker or lighter than others or have a different coloration about them but i wouldnt think its a blue pike...Ive caught many fish with a Blueish scheme to them...Some fish with the white belly, some with yellow belly....Some walleye take on a whiteish color instead of yellow to their scales that make them almost appear blue in color...but not a blue pike....Im not doubting a strand of DNA passed down could make a fish a different color, but its not a mutation...

Water clarity has alot to do with a fishes color as well...Fish in darker waters will generally be darker almost black in color.  Fish in lighter waters will be lighter...its a form of adaptation to the envoronment that makes them better predators...Erie walleyes are generally light due to the water clarity this fish could be a step ahead or possibly a step behind in the adaptation chain...

Next time you walk pass another person look at them...i bet you wont see too many who look exactly like you...A fish really isnt too much different...
    post edited by Carpet Bagger - 2008/03/21 10:53:50

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 11:12:27 (permalink)
    The fish was caught out of Lunge Lodge in Canada, the guy holding it is a guide.  The place it was caught specializes in walleye fishing, and it's not a normal walleye.  The fish caught there are yellow...like these..

"Blue walleyes are not related to the "Blue Pike" of Lake Erie. They are a genetic mutation, or color phase of the common walleye." 

fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 11:24:23 (permalink)
    Blue pike were a lot smaller, too . Anything over 2 pounds was very big.
    Have you seen the guy making the rounds on TV with the blue skin ? He has some kind of drug reaction; he's been bright blue for a few years.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 12:56:08 (permalink)
    he puts silver in a cup of water, runs electricty to it for awhile then drinks it... what a dum aSs
    D.T.FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 13:08:40 (permalink)
    Good read CB
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

Blue pike are non exhistant to back up Storm Warning....A walleye can have different color for different reason...

You can catch fish that are darker or lighter than others or have a different coloration about them but i wouldnt think its a blue pike...Ive caught many fish with a Blueish scheme to them...Some fish with the white belly, some with yellow belly....Some walleye take on a whiteish color instead of yellow to their scales that make them almost appear blue in color...but not a blue pike....Im not doubting a strand of DNA passed down could make a fish a different color, but its not a mutation...

Water clarity has alot to do with a fishes color as well...Fish in darker waters will generally be darker almost black in color.  Fish in lighter waters will be lighter...its a form of adaptation to the envoronment that makes them better predators...Erie walleyes are generally light due to the water clarity this fish could be a step ahead or possibly a step behind in the adaptation chain...

Next time you walk pass another person look at them...i bet you wont see too many who look exactly like you...A fish really isnt too much different...

If your gonna mess with the Kings Queens you better watch your Ace Jack!
    D.T.
    cp13
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 542
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 13:47:51 (permalink)
    I wish we had blue pike still, im too young to have ever seen one, but my grandpa always talks about how they would go out at night and the water could sometimes be covered in boats with lanterns...
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 17:31:24 (permalink)
    I remember the blue pike, I was in my early teens when my dad and other members of my family would go out on a party boat at night and fish for them. Most were small(10 to 14 inches) but man we would catch a bunch of them. Don't know what the limit was but I remember bringing buckets of them back to my uncles in Linesville and spending half the next day cleaning them. Back then they seemed as plentifull as the perch do today. It was on one of those party boats at night that I had my first experience with sea-sickness. That night I chummed the fish most of trip.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 19:07:58 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D.T.FISH

Good read CB
    ORIGINAL: Carpet Bagger

Thanks DT I really try to put forth the best info i can...lol

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 19:14:13 (permalink)
    never seen one would be nice to see one in person.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 20:23:17 (permalink)
    they have blue trout at reynoldsvill hatchery i asked and they are a genetic mutation.also i seen blue lobster back home in ct years ago there are several blue trout in the indoor display pretty cool.

I have become comfortably numb
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 20:57:09 (permalink)
    I commercial fished Georgian Bay Lake Huron in the 70s and we would catch mayby one Blue eye per year. I also saw a blue crawfish in a spring run in Clarion Co. Pa. I am told that in Tomogamy Lake in Canada over half of the eyes are the blue variation.
    bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/21 21:17:26 (permalink)
    Heres an interesting article on Blue Pike

http://www.outdoorsniagara.com/bluepikesprengerI.htm
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/22 12:06:09 (permalink)
    Interesting article....thanks for sharing.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/22 13:03:46 (permalink)
    learn something new everyday....  thanks.
    D.T.FISH
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/22 16:18:28 (permalink)
    Ive caught some blue bellyed bows in kinzuey creek a couple of seasons back. Cool lookin fish I wish I had some pics.

If your gonna mess with the Kings Queens you better watch your Ace Jack!
    D.T.
    vizdog
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/22 19:12:20 (permalink)
    dealinsteel, I have been to french river, lake nippising many times for walleye/musky fishin and have never seen a blue one up there.
    I was wondering if the guy holding the fish is a guide named billy commando? He looks a guy we fished with a few years ago.
    Do you stay at Lunge Lodge? Nice place and food for the price. What month do you guys do good on eyes up there?
    porter64
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/22 23:35:53 (permalink)
    It's a walleye for sure! Neat pics!!
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/24 01:10:48 (permalink)
    Blue pike are considered extinct although they are thought to have possibly been stocked in some northern lakes. they are a cousin to the walleye and  The problem is that there is a proven hybridization between the two.  Dr. Carol Stiepen at Cleveland state university is about the most knowledgable person I have read on the subject (and I have read a lot).  The only hope was that there might some holdovers that had been stocked somewhere, at my last check that program has pretty much stalled, but Dr. Steipen has done most of the DNA work on those fish and trying to find them. 

The other part that is interesting is that beyond severe pollution, heavy commercial overfishing, competition with the non native introduced rainbow smelt caused thier demise..... 

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    RE: Blue Walleye 2008/03/24 09:33:28 (permalink)
    Viz- Yeah that sure is Bill Commando, he was guiding some people for the week and they got the eye, and Lunge is getting it mounted for display there.  I'm more of a musky fisherman than walleye, and we get up to Lunge for the musky opener in late June-early July.  I think Mike and Todd do a pretty good job takin care of their guests, and between the food, fishing, and scenery it's really a blast.
    Jump to: