Need some advise

Author
Loner 4 Sure
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/19 07:52:21 (permalink)

Need some advise

I am thinking of making a trip up the monday after easter for some steel.  I have only Fished there once, and was skunked when I did.  I would appreciate any help.  I would like to do it on a flyrod, but will have my noodle rod along as well with some egg sacs tied up.  thanks guys from a newbie!

6 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Need some advise 2008/03/19 11:37:16 (permalink)
    If you aren't catching fish, move. I'm not talking get in your car, and drive to a new location. Move from the top of the hole to the bottom. or bottom to top. From a hole to a ripple, or a ripple to, a pocket, or chute. From the inside seam, to the outside seam. Keep trying different spots, till you find where they are laying. Using different baits, adjusting weight, and float depths at each spot. No one can tell specifically what to use, where, not knowing what the water conditions, let alone the mood of the fish will be tomorrow, or next week.

If you start catching lots of Smolt ( baby 4"-6" Steelhead ), again try moving, and up size your bait. Bait, maggots, waxworms, and sigle eggs, as well as egg pattern flys are a poor choice in smolt filled areas.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Need some advise 2008/03/19 15:31:09 (permalink)
    well said spoon. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    catchinfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 351
    RE: Need some advise 2008/03/23 13:05:04 (permalink)
    There is still a lot of fish in the creeks.  Try using egg sacs with pink or chartruese netting.  Also having a couple dozen minnows won't hurt.  Most guys use a float but I have been having better luck recently dragging my baits along the bottom with a single split shot.  I've been getting a few more snags but I'm also getting hookups on a regular basis.  Just a suggestion.  Lower Elk has been very good all season.  Don't be afraid to fish the fast current over the main holes.  If you find the right drift in these spots they can be very rewarding.  Plus they don't seem to get hammered as much as the hot spots.  My two biggest steel of the year have come out of medium to shallow rapids.  Good Luck!

"I know not what with weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones."
    -Albert Einstein
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Need some advise 2008/03/23 16:39:21 (permalink)
    Use jigs 1/32 oz.  tipped with maggots or emeralds and you won't have any trouble with smolt.  You may have trouble keeping those big silver bullets off though...  I like to get myself in trouble from time to time!

Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Need some advise 2008/03/23 17:11:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Use jigs 1/32 oz.  tipped with maggots or emeralds and you won't have any trouble with smolt.  You may have trouble keeping those big silver bullets off though...  I like to get myself in trouble from time to time!
    Thats right jigs jigs and more jigs.

I have become comfortably numb
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: Need some advise 2008/03/23 18:58:49 (permalink)
    DON'T FORGET POLARIZED SUN GLASSES!
    Jump to: