Author
18andlife
  • Total Posts : 117
  • Reward points: 0
2007/03/21 10:07:03 (permalink)

Great Lakes shotting article

Advanced Shotting for Great Lakes Steelhead
by Craig Lewis

Almost all Great Lakes tributaries in the US and Canada require split shot. Proper shotting can allow you to achieve the most natural drift possible at any given depth. In general the river’s water surface speed is faster than the speed at the bottom or edges. Taking this into account there are different patterns that allow you to do so. I find the Italian made Sure-Shot brand in a variety of sizes works the best; it is nicely rounded, has good holding power and doesn’t damage my shot line when sliding them up or down.  My favorite sizes used are as follows:  AAA = .80 g., #1 = .30 g, and the smallest, #6, which is .11 g.  I will adjust my base shot (the shot directly below my float) depending on the size of the float.  I then add a pre-made shot line with a small Blackbird swivel made by Redwing tackle.

Standard or Common Shotting
Used in moderate flows.  Good all around pattern and is utilized by most fishermen.
Shot Pattern -- Starting at base shot (the shot directly below my float) descending from largest to smallest, evenly spaced down to the leader.

Bulk Shotting or Accelerated Shotting
Used in very fast, deep water where you want to get down quick.
Shot Pattern -- Shot is generally of one size spread through out the shot line with the bulk of the weight being stacked just above the leader line.

Bottom Bouncing
Used in very fast water.  This set up is great for winter fish found in tail outs.
Shot Pattern -- I like to use a micro-swivel threaded onto the shot line and a bead stopper with all shot placed on tag line below the swivel so the shot can be pulled off on snags.

Shallow Water Shotting
Used in fast, shallow water, great for spooky fish.
Shot Pattern -- Large shot stacked on the top of shot line with only one very small shot at the top of leader.

Slip Float Hollow Lead Wire
Used in extremely deep water were long cast are required.
Pattern—Slip float by Raven or Drennan are my favorites, in place of shot use a section of hollow lead, a small bead is placed above swivel to keep lead from smashing knot above leader.

Complete float box
Should contain, micro swivels, beads, hollow lead wire, verity of shot, hooks, fluorocarbon, tubing, floats, float stops, nippers and a pair of split shot removers. With the list complete you should be ready for whatever the river throws at you.

I find pre-making the rigs in the warmth of my house is much more convenient than making them on the river.  I pack them in small Zip-Lock bags for easy transport. I would also recommend a split shot remover for on the water changes without having to re-tie a new rig. For diverse water in cold conditions were changes can be a pain I will pre-make a shot line double stacking or triple stacking (putting multi-shot together to equal a larger size) #6 shot and threw moving shot up and down you can quick change between standard, bulk or shallow water techniques. These are my primary shot rigs for Great Lakes steelhead. It doesn’t matter bait or fly choice understanding the different presentations and most importantly getting to the fish in a natural manner can make or break a day of Great Lakes steelheading.  

1 Reply Related Threads

steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: Great Lakes shotting article 2007/03/27 22:48:53 (permalink)
    very informative
    Jump to: