complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
woodnickle
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8504
  • Reward points: 0
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 08:02:19 (permalink)
I agree Bug. I used the new 10' rod and could not put the pressure on the fish as I could on my 9' glass rod. Therefor light line could be used on the 10 and heavier on my glass. Either way the fight is longer with the limper rod. If you,re going to take an ultra light to fight a large fish it will be a long battle. I use 8lb on both rods but could not apply the pressure with the very limber 10.

Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 10:21:09 (permalink)
Mika,

The more limber the rod, the more it acts like a shock absorber.  If you are used to a faster rod, i.e. more backbone, it can feel kinda strange until you get used to it.  I personally like a rod with backbone, but the limitation there is if the fish suddenly takes off and you don't have the drag set properly, the tippet can break.  The sudden shocks are what usually break you off. 

One thing we have not considered is the amount of flexibility of the leader material or tippet.  Some lines have no flexibility at all and others give quite a bit.  I wonder how much this makes a difference in people's perception of the leader material?  Think about it.  If you have a slow action rod with a flexible leader, there is a lot of give so quite a bit of the shock the fish puts on the line during the fight is taken up by the leader and rod.  If on the other hand you have a really inflexible leader and tippet material and fast action rod, the drag on the reel needs to absorb the shock.  If the drag is not up to the challenge, then you may have more problems.

Of course, there is the tinsel strength of the leader material, abrasion resistance, how long you have been fishing it, small nicks and cuts and the uncanny ability of steelies to run around rocks, over sharp ledges, and behind logs, all of which will push any leader or tippet material to the breaking point.

pax vobiscum +
seejib
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 268
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 10:51:05 (permalink)
When I started fishing again 3 years ago a buddy recommended Magna Thin in clear for a all-around good line. He said to get 6 and 4# test. Thats all I have used since and am very happy. I have not missed too many fish with it. I here mostly abour floro-carbon line, whats the diff?
jlh42581
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1885
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 12:01:01 (permalink)
Fluro vanishes under water until it gets knicked up. It doesnt stretch, costs more, and doesnt float.
brown trout
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 129
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 12:30:08 (permalink)
In my personal experience, I have not found an ounce of advantage to fluro. Some of my favorite times to fish are early in the fall when the waters low and no flow also. I have never had a problem getting them to strike 6 lb. mono. Period.

None the less, it is to each their own as far as what they like to use, it really doesn't matter to me. The only point I am trying to make is that I don't feel that there is ANY to adavantage to very light lines and/or fluro.
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 12:37:48 (permalink)
Fluoro line is thinner, yet stronger.  It creates a far better presentation than a thicker line.  The thicker the line, the less movement your fly/bait has.  You're presentation should flow with the water, not cut through it.  Afterall, presentation is what it is all about.  Not line color.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
seejib
Expert Angler
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 12:39:53 (permalink)
I have never used fluro so I have no comment. I do know that I have been usingthis Magna Thin 4-6 test and it have landed some hogs that I thought I would have lost. I'm sure the 10' pole helps add to the test also.

I plan on a fly set-up for the first time this year, I will do my best to not look like a idiot and stay outta the way til I get used to it.
...masterofnone
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 41
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 19:00:09 (permalink)
You can get a fish in pretty quick with a 10' noodle rod (with a small amount of backbone) and a good 4 lb. line with side pressure and backing them in.  Another thing not mentioned yet (unless I missed it):  I would rather cast light offerings with the 4 #.

[seejib:  I definitely looked like an idiot when I went steelheading the first time.  I was still new to fly fishing and had to false cast to get any line out.  I stayed out of everyone's way, though.  Switched to the noodle rod for a while until I could roll, water-haul, etc. cast better.  It's all good, though.]

Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? - Job 41:1
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/19 22:19:06 (permalink)
Yeah i fish jigs 90% of the time and i use 4 lb gamma i think line choice with my jigs is not as critical as someone fishing say single eggs or egg patterns the pulse of the marabou on the jig draws the strike so i dont really see any advantage on using flouro on this particular application i have always used mono and did qiute well

I have become comfortably numb
indsguiz
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6351
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/20 01:30:16 (permalink)
Gentlemen,
     Just an opinion for discussion.  I think the main reason some people complain about the wt of line that others are using is the fact that some anglers go way too light for the number of people they are fishing around.  I have caught steelhead on, of all things, a bamboo 4wt rod with a 4 lb tippett.  I caught it in the long hole at Girard park and I didn't interfere with anybody else because it was just me and a friend there fishing.  But it took almost 15 minutes to bring the fish to net because I was afraid of breaking the rod, or the tippett.  Now imagine me trying to do the same thing in the Manchester hole on a fine Saturday morning.  I would be cussed out from one end to the other.  (scuse me comin' up,  whoo!  watch out comin' down , whoops comin' back up, sorry comin' back down, Watch your line comin' back up!  S'cuze me comin' back down).  See! ! ! It even pizzed people off to read it let alone experience it.
      So my choice is: When I'm fishing around people 6 > 8 wt, No less than 6 lb test tippett just to be courteous.  IF and only IF I can find a place to experiment then I may go 4wt and 2 pound.  It is only a matter of being courteous to your fellow fishermen.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
chauncy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1298
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/20 07:56:03 (permalink)
Very well put. courtesy is very important when fishing in the crowd.
seejib
Expert Angler
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/20 10:35:02 (permalink)
Well I made the transition from skiing mode to fishing mode(seperated shoulder from a crash and burn helped that out) anyway, 4lb clear Magna Thin on my 10' riversider should provide a good fight and hopefully not get anybody upset around me. I hope the tribs will reduce by Sat/Sun. I'm itchin to get some bait flyin!
6 wt swing
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 68
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/20 18:47:52 (permalink)
Make the fish move to your fly.  Presentation is key. I use mostly 3x with weighted flies.  Very occassionally is there a need for 4x.  Longer fly rods help.

Fish smarter/not harder
mxdad66
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 751
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/20 18:59:46 (permalink)
8lb. Seagar carbon ice,low and clear, high and muddy,30lb. King salmon,17lb. Steelhead,  mass numbers of fish, on one line
carpitiss
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
RE: complaints heard on stream about line/tippet choice 2008/03/20 19:14:04 (permalink)
start off with a heavy mono if you wish. if you are not getting as many strikes as you would like then change to a lighter mono or flouro leader. you may or may not catch more fish, but the point is CHANGE. this holds true for fly or bait selection as well. it may only take a few small adjustment combinations (flouro with a size 18 nymph with a tiny split shot and a small strike indicator for example) to start slamming the fish. these fish can be real particular at times and only a minor change can turn the fish on to your presentation....

point is that some can preach all they want about always catching fish a certain way (jigs with heavier line), but i guarantee that there are days and conditions that this is not the case. most likely there were other anglers around who made an adjustment and started catching fish. it may not appear as obvious on PA's steelhead infested streams, but in other areas where there are significantly fewer fish it is definitely noticeable....

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: