Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
mgolf92
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 378
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/16 10:07:56 (permalink)

Spring Steelhead Tactics

I was out yesterday on Upper Elk, but did not catch any fish.  Typically where do spring steelhead lie?  What are some general techniques for fishing in the spring?  Fly fishing, that is.  I am fairly new at the game, so I'm just trying to get going in the right direction.  Thanks.

Mike

71 Replies Related Threads

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 11:52:11 (permalink)
    Yesterday was a tough day anywhere.  The water was roaring pretty good and visability was low.  I did manage to get 2 and lose about 10 and my buddy got 4 or 5....we tried 3 or 4 different spots.  The fresh ones are in, its just a matter of time until the water is perfect again...probably right now and tomorrow.  The week is looking up.  Keep trying and be persistant, it will come to you.

krott243
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 954
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 13:25:30 (permalink)
    Egg patterns in various colors are a must, I carry 12's-20's in every color.  A lot of hens are full of eggs and you better believe fish are going to be eating eggs.  I also think of spring time, streamer time.  Shiner patterns with flash added are always a good choice, also your different colored buggers.  One of my favorite streamers to fish is a gold and black zonker. Pretty much anything you usually carry will work.  Fish are just a little more aggressive than the winter months and the right streamer on a day can take a lot of fish.  If your fishing spawning fish on gravel or in fast water, I usually throw some types of nymphs.  Stones, hares ears, pts.  Just carry what ever you got with you and change till you find what they want.

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 60
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 13:35:14 (permalink)
    Just a thought but, why teach someone just starting out to target spawners?

Shake and Bake!!!
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 14:01:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BTJWG

Just a thought but, why teach someone just starting out to target spawners?

Why not? 

The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 14:24:55 (permalink)
    hey Krott, if you want to" line" a bunch of half dead fish be my guest, some of us dont have to see the fish to catch them!!

Shake and Bake!!!
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 14:58:34 (permalink)
    So far this spring I have landed almost all of the few steelies I have caught on glo bugs and sucker spawn.  I have been pretty much fishing deeper holes and using a Czech nymph style of drift.  I have tried swing streamers, but not have too much luck so far.  The water temperature is a bit too cold yet.  I am hoping that as the run off slows down and we get a few warm days, the temperature will go some and the fish will become more active.

Good luck.

pax vobiscum +
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 15:02:26 (permalink)

hey Krott, if you want to" line" a bunch of half dead fish be my guest, some of us dont have to see the fish to catch them!!

Get a life and grow up dude.  Dont tell me I "line" fish. I'll go fish for fish with anyday you want.  Crystal clear water to chocolate milk, does not matter. 

BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 16:45:15 (permalink)
    Ill be at Folly's tomorrow, Bring your "A" game, and bring your friends too so I can show all you PA wannabes how its done.

Shake and Bake!!!
    SPIKER
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 17:12:55 (permalink)
    Sounds like a time to man up there KROTT243,tomorrow at the Follys.....
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 17:19:40 (permalink)
    Just as I thought, all talk, a telephone tough-guy , when It came time to step up to plate , where is krott ?   Ill sweeten the pot youngster, Ill use a snoopy rod , and only fish with  3 flys ,you pick the flys.

Shake and Bake!!!
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 17:38:29 (permalink)
    You guys friends with younguru and oxybob??  You probably do use a snoopy rod.

BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 17:44:29 (permalink)
    I honetsty dont know either of the 2 you mentioned, I do know you are a scavenger who can only achive double digit hookups fishing spawners.

Shake and Bake!!!
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 18:14:03 (permalink)
    I was out again for a few hours today and caught one on a PT at the tail of a long run.  I also had a few other half-hearted takes on princes and PT's.  I'll be able to fish most of this week and next weekend, so I'll see what I can figure out. Thanks.
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 18:21:08 (permalink)
    Dude,

If that's what you think, you'd be wrong.  I can attest for the young man and his abilities.  So how about you stop being a ****bag and an internet tough guy and relax?

You're really barking up the wrong tree here.  He doesn't line, snag and if he does foul hook a fish, he does the right thing. 

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

...masterofnone
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 19:50:21 (permalink)
    mgolf:
    My only experience in the spring has been dead drifting jigs with the noodle rod - that certainly works - and I don't see why you couldn't do it with a fly rod.  I'm sure the other advice is good, and that's actually what I hope to be doing sometime very soon.
    btjwg:
    When krott asked his question why not just answer instead of firing insults?  Seriously, I'm not trying to drag a flame war out, but I think you missed a chance to explain some things about something you are passionate about.  (What's the % success rate of steelhead spawning - some think it's higher than 'usually' stated, and etc.  That could be (and has been) some interesting discussion.)

Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? - Job 41:1
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 20:17:14 (permalink)
    masterofnone, after thinking about this, you are right I really should have pointed out facts rather than firing attacts. really though I saw the guys number of posts , almost 1200, and figured what more could I tell this guy. anyway sorry I really went down the wrong road here.

Shake and Bake!!!
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 21:06:53 (permalink)
    Spiker & BTJWG,

I'll tell you guys, both, if you want a clinic, come fish with Mossy Oak, Krott and myself someday.  Open invite.

BTJWG,  I am glad to see you manned up and saw the error there.

X

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little...
    FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 21:07:47 (permalink)
    Try throwing a mickey finn.  If you can find room, once the water warms a bit, give it a swing.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 21:55:07 (permalink)
    Peach, cream and yellow sucker spawn were the ticket today on Walnut.  I had a few fresh jacks pound the flies.

pax vobiscum +
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/16 23:19:16 (permalink)
    Krott is very good at fishing i meant him one day fishing and he was hooking up fish after fish, he is very sport mans like. I would fish with him any day of the week a true professional at best. BTJWG why are you always causing grief for grow up, I'd be more than glad too fish with you any day of the week work permitting.  I wont be using my Snoopy rod either I'll be using my centerpin if you have any idea what that even is but ya better bring some money son be more than happy to buy a new rod with your hard earned money. For someone who's a new poster on here sure thinks he's the chit, lol maybe thinks he's a pro. I am no pro But i can fish with the best of them. I don't need inter net  muscles or telephone muscles, bring it too the tribs. I'll be more than happy to lay the smack down on your cocky**** Wont be the first time the centerpin has putt a whooping on the fly guys. And i am sure wont be the last. Dont get all ****y btjwg when you keep hearing me say fish on fish on fish on.          

centerpin_drift!~
    post edited by centerpin_drift - 2008/03/16 23:28:34

Get the Drift !!!!!
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 00:27:54 (permalink)
    centerpin, you are right Im sorry Ive been causing nothing but grief , I dont mean anything by it , its just on my worst day Im 100% better than any PA fisherman . period. quit hogging on krott, a monkey could hook up in PA waters, no need to further explain, and I said it at least twice, Ill be at follys tomorrow , so come on all you backwoods snaggers put up or shut up!!
    post edited by BTJWG - 2008/03/17 00:28:41

Shake and Bake!!!
    BTJWG
    Novice Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 00:31:30 (permalink)
    centerpin, krott and the boys.....

Shake and Bake!!!
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 01:52:46 (permalink)
    BTJWG , Nice pic of your family, think they better get too  a dentist before they get poison in their brain. lol Anyways your better than any fisherman on this board that's so funny i am still  lmfao. Dude if i didn't have to be at the hospital with my girl tomorrow, i Be definitely their no questions asked. In matter of fact i am hoping to be their this coming Saturday weather permitting. So if i do I'll be glad to post for you what time I'll be their so better go sell some crack to the junkies so you can pay me. And plus i am sure Krott and us boys be more than glad to fish any day of the week permitting that we don't have  college, or work to attend. So must be nice to fish whenever and collect your welfare stamps on our expense. Your so,so,so, great i have someone that i want to see you fish with and that would be stillhead. I'd pay money too watch that. But then again I'd be laughing so hard when he's 20 too your 6 in the first 3 hours of the day. Okay i have to go to bed have to be at the hospital for my girl today. Have fun tell mom i say hi.

Centerpin_drift!~

Get the Drift !!!!!
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 08:03:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: centerpin_drift

But then again I'd be laughing so hard when he's 20 too your 6 in the first 3 hours of the day. Have fun tell mom i say hi.

Centerpin_drift!~

Landing 20 fish in 3 hours on a fly rod in PA is not all that impressive. But very believable. Landing 20 fish in 3 hours on a cp is even less impressive. Landing 6 fish in 3 hrs on a Snoopy rod sounds pretty fun and impressive. "tell mom I said hi" very unimpressive.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 08:37:55 (permalink)

centerpin, you are right Im sorry Ive been causing nothing but grief , I dont mean anything by it , its just on my worst day Im 100% better than any PA fisherman . period. quit hogging on krott, a monkey could hook up in PA waters, no need to further explain, and I said it at least twice, Ill be at follys tomorrow , so come on all you backwoods snaggers put up or shut up!!

First off, where are you from?  Secondly, if your calling people monkeys for fishing PA, why are you fishing follys? 

Dream Catcher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1567
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 09:10:28 (permalink)
    Listen hear ,
                      Big TimeJokeWilly**** your probaly one of those ****ed flatlander types . Why don't you just stay your **** home . Perhaps some of us hill billies will think you got pretty teeth or something .... See you at follies big boy . I'll be on the bridge with my banjo BTW I wouldn't wear chest waders if I were you .
    krott243
    Expert Angler
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 09:29:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

Listen hear ,
                     Big TimeJokeWilly**** your probaly one of those ****ed flatlander types . Why don't you just stay your **** home . Perhaps some of us hill billies will think you got pretty teeth or something .... See you at follies big boy . I'll be on the bridge with my banjo BTW I wouldn't wear chest waders if I were you .

LOL...DC, I just realized your from chicora, my buddy has a camp down there, they kill some monster bucks.  You hunt at all?

fisher of men 1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 10:57:07 (permalink)
    ok i know im a new angler but you guys just need to calm down fishing is about bein in the outdoors, not betting on who can catch more fish in an hour.  u guys need to grow up.  and i may not seem like a old angler but i know a lot bout fishin since fish a lot and have learned how to fish for them with out a fly rod but my favorite days are wen its high and a little muddy its so easy that way.
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Spring Steelhead Tactics 2008/03/17 11:11:32 (permalink)
    Never ceases to amaze me how a thread can start out in one direction and end up being sabatoged and taken in a completely different direction. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: