Lewistown NY fishing info needed please

Author
Dark Hollow 1
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/12 11:18:55 (permalink)

Lewistown NY fishing info needed please

Hey guys, I got an invite to fish Lake Ontario for salmon and the Niagara River for trout the week of May 20th. and was wondering if anyone else has fished that area around that time of year and how good it might be.
I am guessing the river trip will be a float trip.
Thanks for any input it will be appreciated.

Tight lines

Dark Hollow

I have to grow old but I'll never grow up.

4 Replies Related Threads

fishbreath
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 115
    RE: Lewistown NY fishing info needed please 2008/03/12 12:39:40 (permalink)
    Fishing Lake O. at that time is world class. The ESLO is usually finished by then so there's plenty of camping and motels available. I don't know how the river would be, never fished it that late because the action can be so good offshore. Have a blast.
    Storm Warning 2
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 583
    RE: Lewistown NY fishing info needed please 2008/03/12 14:15:43 (permalink)
    RIGHT ON Fishbreath!

By the end of May most of the Steelies/trout have left the river.  The smallie fishing is pretty decent in the river at that time though.  If I were you, I'd forego the river trip and spend both days on the Lake.  A drag squealin' spring King is hard to beat.  Those spring silver fish are HOT!

The mouth of the river, or the NIAGARA BAR is an amazing spring fishery with an abundance of King and Coho salmon as well as a fair number of Lake Trout and drop back Steelies as well as a few drop back browns. 

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Lewistown NY fishing info needed please 2008/03/12 16:22:40 (permalink)
    I'd fish the lake all the way.  I think there should be smallmouth in the river at that time, but thats about it since all the trout and salmon have gone to the lake.  The Niagara Bar is not far from Lewiston (about a 10 to 15 minute boat ride down stream to the mouth)  Thats pretty hot in the spring for salmon...also fish the shore lines east or west in shallower water for big browns....Best of Luck...I hope to get our new rig out there this spring!

Dark Hollow 1
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 56
    RE: Lewistown NY fishing info needed please 2008/03/13 14:48:24 (permalink)
    Sounds great! Thanks for the info. The trip is pre-arranged and I will be fishing with some guides, I don't even know who yet a friend arranged it all.
    I'm sure looking forward to the trip though. I fished the lake once before for salmon but the day before we were scheduled to go out they had a big storm and the fishing was not good. Cant blame the guide though, I never saw anyone work so hard to put us into fish but two was the best we did for the whole day.
    Maybe this time the weather will be with me.
    Thanks again all and good fishing to you.

Dark Hollow

I have to grow old but I'll never grow up.
    Jump to: