Kicker Q's

Author
chipmunk
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/10 21:06:42 (permalink)

Kicker Q's

I'm lookin to buy a kicker for the boat here soon and since I've never had two motors on a boat before, I was just wondering what opinions everyone has on them.  I only fish Erie a few trips a year but I would like to get something just as useful on the big pond as it would be around here. 

It would be going on a Skeeter WX1880.  I'm not even sure what size motor I would need on this size boat.  The prices on those smaller engines look nicer but I'd hate to be stuck with junk that wont even push the boat.

I've been lookin at yamaha's t8 and the t9.9 but I'm still open to any other brand.  Anyone have any experience they'd like to share or just a general opinion?

8 Replies Related Threads

kingsalmon
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Kicker Q's 2008/03/10 21:13:00 (permalink)
    i have a 15hp merc 4 stoke, i love that thing! the most efficent thing on this plant i would say. i was going to go with the 9.9 but though the same thing as you did, so i went to 15. it also cost a few more bucks but there is notthing like setting that at 2mph an trolling all day 8-12 hr an never worry about running  out of fuel. the ONLY bad part to them is they are soo dang quiet! i can hardle tell when i got mine started lol.
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kicker Q's 2008/03/10 21:17:19 (permalink)
    lol Nice problem!  When I say small I mean even SMALLER then the 8.  They look way more budget friendly to me but I know itd kill me when I use it.  The 9.9's my top HP because there are several lakes around here with 9.9 limits.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Kicker Q's 2008/03/10 21:24:46 (permalink)
    I have a 9.9 Honda 4 stroke on my 17' Smoker.  I went with the 9.9 years ago simply to be able to use it on the local 9.9 limit lakes.  I know some guys have 20 h.p. Hondas with 9.9 stickers, especially for Pymy these days.  If you only plan to troll on Erie, then a 15 or 20 should be fine, but I think you could also get by with a 9.9 for your Skeeter.  I've seen some pretty big boats trolling with 9.9s.  Regardless of what brand you get, go with a 4 stroke.  They are great on gas, they have virtually NO fumes, no mixing oil and can troll all day without fouling plugs.  My Honda is about 15 years old with many hours on it and it still runs perfect.  You will also need to get a steering arm and controls, but you or your boat mechanic can install them pretty easily.  My Honda is also hooked into the main fuel line.  Good Luck!

chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    RE: Kicker Q's 2008/03/10 22:13:21 (permalink)
    Thanks Shutup, I was planning on gettin a four stoke after my experience with a portable 6hp merc on a trip to canada.  No fumes, easy to start, and it was AMAZING on gas.  A 2 gallon tank lasted dawn till dusk running the whole time!  The thing that kinda worries me is that while the boat is an 18 footer, its really wide and heavy for the length.  I know the 9.9 will get me up to trolling speeds around here but I'm not sure it will in the wind and waves I've fished in on erie.  I guess with the limits around here the 9.9 is about the only choice.  Any words on brands or are they all similar?

One sorta random note on boats: while that shiny skeeter or ranger or whatever you want may look beautiful and have way cool features, step back and consider how those big payments will effect your decisions when you want to outfit it with something like say a kicker! I keep wishing that a 6hp or even a 4 would push it. (I do love the skeeter but that payment kills)
    MTAARON
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Kicker Q's 2008/03/11 06:12:34 (permalink)
    Chipmunk,
     I have a 25' glass Galaxy... I fish Erie... I have a 9.9 for a kicker.. If it is to windy to push your boat you have no business being out that day... Trust me go with a 9.9 4-stroke and you will be OK...  As far as a Steering Arm... If you have any Mechanical ability at all you can design one yourself... I put a 6 inch out extention on my main motor to allow it to turn the kicker more responsive... that makes controling it a little easier for me when trolling. You can pick up Ball Joints pretty easy...

Toad
    Double Fantasy
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Kicker Q's 2008/03/11 06:45:59 (permalink)
    I agree with Toad, If its too windy and rough on Erie, you probably shouldn't be out anyway.  Even if you are, you'd be miserable anyhow.  I wouldn't even consider anything lower than a 9.9 for your boat. 

Brands?  The only 4 stroke I ever owned is my Honda and its the only 4 stroke I'll ever own.  Someone may correct me here if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Honda has been making 4 strokes longer than any other manufacturer, so you can't go wrong.

Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: Kicker Q's 2008/03/11 10:01:21 (permalink)
    Ok guys ill throw my 2 cents into the mix....

My setup is a high thrust 9.9hp Honda 4stroke on my 22' trophy...I have the TR-1 auto pilot on it with throttle control...All jackplated off the transom.  It has its own tach which rarely goes above 3k....its a pretty nice setup...At full throttle it pushes the boat about 6mph.

Personally if i were getting another i would buy the high thrust 8hp...its lighter on the transom and probaly slightly lighter on the check book as well.  Lesser HP means you can crank up the RPMs a little more and avoid any fouling of plugs.  If you are going to jack plate your kicker the T8 with power trim isnt really needed.  8hp is more than enough to troll a much larger boat than mine even...15hp is just over kill for a kicker on a smaller fiberglass or aluminum boat...

Honda and Yamaha would probaly be my top picks for a kicker brand...

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    no-time
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Kicker Q's 2008/03/11 10:37:16 (permalink)
    i have a 9.9 evenrude on my 21 ft. heavy
    fiberglass boat, i troll all day out of n. east
    and hardly ever run my i o except to get out,
      i have never had a problem with being
    pushed with my 9.9 , also have the easy
    steer connection hooked to the kicker and
    175 hp i o .
    Jump to: