Are there benifits to belonging to TU

Author
Pgh Kid
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 88
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/02 20:47:09 (permalink)

Are there benifits to belonging to TU

Just wondering if any of you belong to Trout Unlimited. What is the benifit to the trout or the fisherman?

5 Replies Related Threads

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Are there benifits to belonging to TU 2008/03/02 22:20:09 (permalink)
    Well being a member has advantages like meeting people who are very passionate about trout and trout fishing.  The particular chapter I belong to stocks a DHALO project a few times a season and raises its own trout.  I try to get out everytime they stock to help float the stream.  Everybody I've met have been great guys who love or live to fish.  Alot of chapters do projects on streams and the growing greener project through state grants.  Some chapters have annual banquets, projects and sometimes trips to places to fish.  I am very glad that I joined, met alot of very nice people and did a small part to help trout fishing.  On a national level they always take donations for projects and stream restoration.  So I would have to say a big YES to helping the trout and salmon and other coldwater species.....

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Are there benifits to belonging to TU 2008/03/03 00:10:47 (permalink)
    pgh kid, t.u. also does restoration on streams and like avidangler said, you're in a group with fellow anglers. it's more of selfgratification of how a member helps out the trout habitat than any self benifit. i've been a member for many years. the only thing i disagree with the organization right now is their support of senate bill 2192, which is to decrease the CO2 in engines claiming this is a big reason for global warming.i feel that TU does not need to get politicly involved in this issue.imo.
    other than that they are a good orginization and you get a magazine that keeps you up to date about a lot of things the org. does to benifit trout. there is almost always something about Pa. in the mag. so alot of the money is contributed back into pennsylvania.

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Are there benifits to belonging to TU 2008/03/03 07:05:26 (permalink)
    Im a member of Spring Creek TU. I cant spend the time with stream restoration so I donated their website.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Are there benifits to belonging to TU 2008/03/03 12:18:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Pgh Kid

Just wondering if any of you belong to Trout Unlimited. What is the benifit to the trout or the fisherman?

"What is the benifit to the trout or the fisherman?"

It depends on the chapter. The local chapter that covers the Little Juniata (blair TU) would not help Allan Bright of Spruce Creek Outfitters fight to keep the river open to the public, because they said TU only deals with water quality issues. That was an odd statement, since they tried to fight beaver on Yellow Creek, which is a stream the the spring ridge club CAN legally lease/own. I understand the same chapter also stocks yellow creek, which I cannot understand, since they are an organization that is supposed to be about WILD TROUT, not stockies.

On the other hand, i've heard good things about other chapters such as the spring creek chapter. They do good things.

There are other groups that do a lot for our streams. Citizens for PA's future is a group that was very important in the Little J case, and fights for water quality issues throughout the state. There are also a lot of local watershed associations that actively monitor and fight for thier local watersheds.
    post edited by thedrake - 2008/03/03 12:26:13
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Are there benifits to belonging to TU 2008/03/03 13:31:45 (permalink)
    "since they are an organization that is supposed to be about WILD TROUT, not stockies." =thedrake.
    thedrake, i can't ever remember that TU is only concerned for wild trout? our chapter, iron funace, helped put deflecters in the little piney creek FFO area in limestone with the pfc. this is not a wild trout area but gets stocked, just for one instance. tu is very involved with mine drainage in many watersheds, weather it's for wild trout or stocked streams.
    you are correct that some TU chapters help out in some where as other chapters don't. i'm not sure if the chapters have to go through the head of TU. for decisions what they can do or not. the neshonnack chapter raises and stocks trout also. ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Jump to: