Brown trout swim onto the scene

Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Author
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/10 12:27:11 (permalink)
Slayir,

THey included it in their wave report, because some boater reported it to them. A precaution till they could check it out. Could there have been a rock/object in the channel at that time? Yes, but just as it would have had to move INTO the channel from the lake, or upstream. It could just as easily have moved OUT. High water in the creek, or stong waves in the lake can move submerged debris into, and out of the channel several times during the season. I know thousands of boats went in, and out with out incident.

That said, Walnut DOES have issues. Plans are being cosidered as to how to adress these isues. A meeting was recently held in this regard. Did any of you attend?

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/10 23:10:43 (permalink)
I didnt know of any such meeting Spoon, what are the plans for Walnut I am curious? Your always full of info I enjoy reading your posts Spoon

steelheaders#1
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 231
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 01:25:51 (permalink)
       Bring on the Brown*s... A brown trout can live almost 2x as long as a steelhead. That should mean bigger fish down the road. Steelhead live to 7 years and a brown can live to 13 years. Can*t wait for 5-6-7-8 years and some big ones trolling for the eyes in the Pond.   Fish ON!!    -----<*}}}}}><
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 08:07:49 (permalink)
With PA being a mostly put and take fishery it will be very hard for a brown to die of "natural causes."  Those that return to the creeks will live long enough to end up on a stringer. Sad to say but true.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 09:17:19 (permalink)
No Mr.Walleye should eat atleast 90% of the fingerlings ; I would consider that natural causes. Whats wrong with a stringer ?????? If they are consumed how do you consider that sad? What is sad is peoples opposition to harvesting anything except in California . Same way with the trees choking sunlight from the ground ; I'd be willing to bet you believe that timbering is sad practice as well  . Get informed .
cp13
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 09:29:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: swinger

With PA being a mostly put and take fishery it will be very hard for a brown to die of "natural causes."  Those that return to the creeks will live long enough to end up on a stringer. Sad to say but true.

Where do you fish that you have to talk down on the erie tribs, sure, a lot of people will keep fish (im pretty sure thats why they buy a license?), but about 1/2 release them.. can you name anywhere where people dont keep fish, well if you can, i highly doubt they have the same numbers of fish the erie tribs do..sad to say but true.
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 11:17:57 (permalink)
Why would you think I am talking down? Simply stating that they will not die of old age. Lighten up.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 12:02:13 (permalink)
The point I believe Swinger is trying to make is that many of the browns will be removed from the fishery before they have the opportunity to reach their full potential as to age and size.  Whether this is a good or bad thing is not really the point.  Some people feel a need to keep almost every fish they catch and others rarely keep a fish.  That is just what it is, people being people.

For me, the issue is the management of the resource.  If you are trying to manage the tribs for "trophy" sized fish, it would seem that there should be some serious limits placed on the size and number of fish caught and perhaps a reduced season. A program may look a bit similar to the quality deer management practices that many private hunting preserves have where only the larger bucks are culled from the heard and a very limited number of does are removed to keep the buck to doe ratio in proper proportion and to insure adequate norishment for all the deer.  PLEASE LET"S NOT GET DISTRACTED BY THIS EXAMPLE. 

If on the other hand, you are trying to manage the tribs as an open fishery where one of the main goals is to provide meat for the fisherman, as well as ample opportunity to catch fish, then you will not have as strict size limits, creel limits, or reduced seasons.  Pretty much let it be a free-for-all situation.  Put a ton of fish in the streams, stand back and let the fisherman go at it.

Niether of these is right or wrong.  They are what they are.  Where the rub comes in is when we as individuals decide to place our expectations and personal values on the fishery.  What I want or think is the right way of managing the fishery may be not what the PFBC sees as the way they are managing the fishery.  I can complain, try to change their way of doing business, or decide to enjoy the streams and the fish and live by my own set of values as long as they fall within the legally accepted norms.

All that any of us can do is abide by the laws, enjoy the fishery as best we can and live by the values we have determined for ourselves. 
post edited by Bughawk - 2008/03/11 12:04:59

pax vobiscum +
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 12:28:43 (permalink)
Everybody is always quick to past judgement on a fish being kept, do you have any idea how many die after they spawn in the streams? They are so malnutritioned from being in the stream for 6 months. I believe very few dropbacks actually live, to spawn another season. I dont know the exact numbers, but look how many steelies are in the bay in the fall. We had limits everyday we fished in November and all the fish were 6-9lbs. Now go out there this spring ice out and fish for them. Very few mature fish. Most of fish are in the 20 inch class range. I think alot die and sink to bottom and become fish bait. The bait picture in the bay this past fall was unreal. Top to bottom on my fishfinder was loaded in a few spots. I think any fish being trolled in open water thats of legal size should be kept. You put that fish thru an awful lot and I would much rather eat it then think of it dying. I think steelhead are very good  to eat when they are caught in open water. I have canned a bunch and they came out wonderful, and smoking they is Great as well. The Brown Trout I think will live longer as well,and they are alot more challenging to catch the  older they are. Its gonna be a great fish to compliment our terrific steelhead fishery. I'm glad to see there are so many people excited about this.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 12:48:56 (permalink)
Slayir,

The meeting was held back in november, I was not in attendance. The point of the meeting though, was to present options being considered, and take public comment. I don't believe ANY plans have been finalized as of yet. Some of the ideas I have heard, is extending the west wall, constructing a breakwall in the lake, or building a channel to exit the marina directly into the lake.

walcat01 was at the meeting. I haven't seen him post in a while, but you might PM him for more details.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3137
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 14:06:19 (permalink)
I thought the obstruction was a sand bar that built up on the west side of the channel?  Stay to the east side and you'll have no problems.  Maybe it was something else, but I know that if I got too far over by prop would drag.
Banananastix4
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 51
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 18:00:36 (permalink)
Shawn there were 2 significant problems with Walnut as of last year. 1. there was an obstruction in the channel, and they could only dredge so much because the east wall might have been compromised. They had Corp of Engineers in to survey. No response to the best of my knowledge. As for the meeting on future Walnut renovations I was in attendance and there was no set scope of work as of yet. Just a half a dozen artists renditions. The whole thing ended up a b@#ch fest. Mainly for guys that wanted to see Elk Creek developed. Basically not going to happen through the PFBC. And since the sale of the land to the DEP never going to happen. So all we can hope for is that the studies show that the nut needs to be improved to accommodate larger boats and greater traffic. 
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/11 19:11:16 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Bughawk

The point I believe Swinger is trying to make is that many of the browns will be removed from the fishery before they have the opportunity to reach their full potential as to age and size.  Whether this is a good or bad thing is not really the point.  Some people feel a need to keep almost every fish they catch and others rarely keep a fish.  That is just what it is, people being people.

For me, the issue is the management of the resource.  If you are trying to manage the tribs for "trophy" sized fish, it would seem that there should be some serious limits placed on the size and number of fish caught and perhaps a reduced season. A program may look a bit similar to the quality deer management practices that many private hunting preserves have where only the larger bucks are culled from the heard and a very limited number of does are removed to keep the buck to doe ratio in proper proportion and to insure adequate norishment for all the deer.  PLEASE LET"S NOT GET DISTRACTED BY THIS EXAMPLE. 

If on the other hand, you are trying to manage the tribs as an open fishery where one of the main goals is to provide meat for the fisherman, as well as ample opportunity to catch fish, then you will not have as strict size limits, creel limits, or reduced seasons.  Pretty much let it be a free-for-all situation.  Put a ton of fish in the streams, stand back and let the fisherman go at it.

Niether of these is right or wrong.  They are what they are.  Where the rub comes in is when we as individuals decide to place our expectations and personal values on the fishery.  What I want or think is the right way of managing the fishery may be not what the PFBC sees as the way they are managing the fishery.  I can complain, try to change their way of doing business, or decide to enjoy the streams and the fish and live by my own set of values as long as they fall within the legally accepted norms.

All that any of us can do is abide by the laws, enjoy the fishery as best we can and live by the values we have determined for ourselves. 

Exactamundo

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
Page: < 12345 Showing page 5 of 5
Jump to: