Brown trout swim onto the scene

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 15:09:39 (permalink)
The eastern basin of lake Ontario has great brown trout fishing in the spring, they stock alot there tho and they mix in with the kings,cohos,lakers,and steelhead later on in the summer
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 15:47:51 (permalink)
slayir,

Dan's issue is with the use of stamp monies, which has nothing to do with stocking Browns, ( or any other species ).

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
bluntman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 684
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 19:01:23 (permalink)
Dan, just wanted to let you know, Ive been in touch with a local legislator, She has been in touch with other representatives from various districts and soon a bill will be intoduced to force the PFBC to either split the stamp for stream anglers and boaters or do away with it all together. I emailed her a copy of an  economic study that We had commissioned to support the division of the stamp, the report stated that 200 boaters expenditures were, at mininum, 377% higher than 200 stream anglers in the same time paremeters {90 days in their peak respective seasons}. So the sqeaky wheel may get some grease, I collected over 350 signatures from boaters who were tired of getting bumrushed, hand delivered them to her and called or emailed every other day, looks like it might have got some attention in Harrisburg. all we can do is hope the stamp either pays dividends to each group as planned or goes away forever, Ive been working on this behind the scene for at least a year or so and am hoping it finally comes to fruition
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 19:11:05 (permalink)
Bluntman, Tell het that nobody wants the brown trout as well. Thanks

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
bluntman
Expert Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 19:39:39 (permalink)
As for the brown trout, I dont give a rats **** one way or the other, after many years keeping my boat on Lake Ontario, I know what to expect, A VERY short spring season and then only limited incedental catches once the inshore water warms , the stream anglers will fare OK in the fall, as for the browns in Lake Michigan targeting gobys, its more than likely a survival response due to the baitfish biomass in the lake is on the brink of collapse, this has been documented by trawls and the average King size steadily declining, wouldnt count on Browns targeting gobys here as Erie is a warmwater fishery that produces unbelievable amounts of baitfish and to compare the productivity of a warmwater fishery to a coldwater fishery is ludicrous at best, well just have to wait and see what kind of returns and fishery develop. should be interesting to say the least
tribster
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 188
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 19:46:03 (permalink)
It will make for more diverse fishing opportunities. 

GET THE DRIFT
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 19:49:28 (permalink)
Even though you dont care, which is fine. Are you saying its a bad idea? The kings are down in size the best thing MI could have done was reduce the stockings like they did afew years back. Which PA should do now. I have been waiting to bring up the point of MI but havent put it in yet, thanks.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
bluntman
Expert Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 19:55:33 (permalink)
As long as its a fish for fish replacement I dont see a problem, Id rather eat a brown if Im eating trout, but thankfully we have Perch and Walleye for munching
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 19:59:27 (permalink)
Thank God for perch and walleye. These other fish taste like well, lets say not good.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 22:32:01 (permalink)
"She has been in touch with other representatives from various districts and soon a bill will be intoduced to force the PFBC to either split the stamp for stream anglers and boaters or do away with it all together."

Since it would require legislation to change the funding restriction, SHE and her fellow legislators need to do that. NOT the PF&BC. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 22:37:29 (permalink)

swinger

titleAndStar(112,0,0,false,"","")
Avid Angler

That would be a lie.
Bluntman, Tell het that nobody wants the brown trout as well. Thanks

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2674
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 23:07:24 (permalink)
Bluntman you can tell her I want brown trout.   Swinger you can fish where theres just steelhead thats fine with all of us im sure, you keep referring to the PA fishery as an outsider, so why would what we do affect you anyways?  Maybe a brown PA stocks will wonder into your net and you can get your ever-so-pleasant suprise of a brown trout.  As for me I have no gripe abou catching one every few drifts, bring em on.
centerpin_drift
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 205
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/05 00:16:47 (permalink)
I have been reading this since day one and all i can say is this. No matter what anyone does either good or bad someone,somebody,or whoever has to complain,moan and groan, ****, pitch a fit, a nutty. Because someone had a idea to make things better for the fishery. Like some of you guys like to fish bass, walleye, perch, And have a wonderful season of catching those targeted fish species, Some guys like to musky fish, others like to sit back and drink a forty and fish for garage fish. And there are guy's like me that love to trout and steelhead fish. I love the fact that someone had a idea and it got approved, I cannot see wow by stocking browns are hurting anything or anyone. If anything  walleye and predator fish are eating are smolts that return to the lake in the spring. Did you ever take in the thought out of how many of our baby smolts that make it to even see big water, due to jag offs that don't know how to handle them and kill them, people on the first day of trout think they are a stockie and mistake it for a rainbow trout and put it on a stringer, and yes that does happen alot, make you sick to see it. How many king fishers, kill them how many blue herrings, kill them. Walleyes, bass, musky, big cats, etc, feed on them. So even if they start stocking browns and i can't wait but it's going to be a few years before we see i think any big numbers returning to the tribs. Because remember their are alot of hungry fish waiting on the front lines for a quick easy meal. And alot of people that just doesn't take the time to properly handle a smolt if hooked bottom line. But it is what it is.  And the thing about the boat what about the people that fish and love to fish that can't afford a boat in the first place and only can fish inland waters. Are you any different because you own a boat. I am sure you fish the inland waters for steelhead in the fall. Not trying to cause a argument here, but just because your a inland water fisherman or own a boat it should be one stamp divide the money everyone is happy.  Just my two cents.  I love to see the bring back the Coho as well that be awesome browns, steelhead, cohos ,that be great but that be too good to be true!
post edited by centerpin_drift - 2008/03/05 00:19:12

Get the Drift !!!!!
bluntman
Expert Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/05 06:41:17 (permalink)
CP, while I certainly respect your stance on the stamp, I and many others think its BS that we pay for access we dont use, and the stream anglers shouldnt have their money go to boating needs either, if the gurus at the fish gestapo had addressed this from the beginning, we wouldnt be having this discussion now ,if there ever was an equitable division of the monies, boaters would flock to the area when they saw new projects being developed, all the docks at Geneva, Conneaut, and Ashtabula are filled, yet other than the peninsula, you can get a dock almost everywhere on PA waters,
post edited by bluntman - 2008/03/05 06:48:14
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/05 15:00:56 (permalink)
"you can get a dock almost everywhere on PA waters,"

Kind of suggests that a "demand" for new, or larger facilities doesn't exist. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/05 17:00:08 (permalink)
Walnut is a disaster waiting to happen It is outdated to say the least. Hmmmmm The best fishing in the pa waters happens north of walnut creek with poor access and a navigational hazard for a channel due to depth and shore fisherman, and  there is no need for improvement come on man what are you smoking.  There was a need to buy a million dollar parking lot at elk creek? I am not up on the wasteful spending of the stamp money on the rubber trout projects but as you have said in the past "you have to go after the money" bull**** the clubs invented it that is why they get it period. The boaters will see a minimal amount of the stamp money if any  and pay for most of the stream access. Welcome to Pennsylvania
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/05 17:07:34 (permalink)
Dan,

I was talking about additional dockage in that response. Walnut, from an ACCESS/SAFTEY standpoint does need imporovement. What I ask now ( and not to bash anyone ), is what are you, the Downriggers, or anyone else doing to pressure the PF&BC, or the state to expidite these improvements?

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/05 18:40:06 (permalink)
Regretably nothing we were promised improvements if we backed the stamp even though i didnt agree they went along. We shouldnt have to " go get the money" we pay them to run the pfbc as i said before the stamp was designed for stream access only with never a intention to use it to benefit the boaters oh well what can you do next time my voice will be heard for sure. later man
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/05 20:51:36 (permalink)
Just go to Ohio and see how their facilities and ramps are maintained.  I don't know about any of you, but I see a big difference and they're not paying extra money for additional stamps and permits.  Yeah, they may have a different system, but it sure seems to work and their anglers are, for the most part, pretty happy and satisfied.  So if their system works, whatever it may be, why don't we learn from it and do the same?
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/05 20:53:16

Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/06 09:42:28 (permalink)
I wonder if the amount of lake shore makes a difference?  Ohio has way more lake front on Lake Erie than PA.  Only Erie county in PA has direct access to Lake Erie.  Perhaps to the average fisherman and boater in PA, whom may not ever come up here to fish, there is little interest in the facilities and only those who actually use them are concerned. 

Another issue may be finding a suitable area to build a facility.  Most of the streams in PA are small and with the exception of Presque Isle and the bay, I would hazard to bet it would be rather difficult to develop a quality launch facility outside of Walnut or perhaps Elk creek.  

In Ohio on the other hand, you have lake access across the entire state, with more opportunities to get to the lake and places to build facilities.  There is also a much larger population base to draw sportsman from, which may add to the interest level when it comes to the boating facilities. 

I would tend to think with the increased emphasis being placed on tourism in Erie County and the apparant desire of the county to increase the number of people coming here for recreation, particulary recreation involving Lake Erie, it would seem to me that the local govt' would want to do something to increase the quality of the boat launches.

pax vobiscum +
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/06 12:20:19 (permalink)
Last year it was sad Walnut Creek  had a gaint rock in the middle of the channel all summer, and the channel was basicly a one way street. I moved outta way one day and dinged my prop up, not ruined but it whacked something. Moxie Man blew his prop in same area and from what i heard many others did as well. To me there is no reason that problem shouldn't have  been fixed. Being the only luanch on the west side I feel it should be maintained with high standard. I think they should split the money equal for streams and open water fishermen. I am glad the easements took place its important to lock up access before it is too late. It doesnt benefit me seeing I dont really stream fish,however it may help my children someday. The money for the stamp is really minimal. The price of a fishing  license is well worth the $40; its a super deal to me. As long as they are keeping that money in our area for something I dont see a real problem. I do  hope they improve walnut creek it is needed
griffon
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1104
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/06 12:43:03 (permalink)
I did not read the entire forum, but here is a thought that would suit me better than browns.  How about Atlantics (Landlocks of course)?  Beautiful fish, they don't die after spawning, they fight like mad and they love to hit flies.  Just a thought, but before shooting it down it works in other places quite well.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/07 11:04:54 (permalink)
I marked that rock in the channel with a milk jug twice last year.  It either got run over or taken within a day each time.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/07 12:08:01 (permalink)
It should have been taken care of by somebody,it was there all summer and spring. I am not sure of the procedure needed but something should have been done. I never seen any jug there when I went out but it is nice to hear a fellow angler to the effort to mark such a threat.
dublvision
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 99
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/07 12:50:34 (permalink)
It should of at least been marked by the PFBC. 
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/07 13:03:44 (permalink)
Agreed . It was pointed out to me by folks fishing on the cement wall (thank you BTW) . Its pretty bad when the shore anglers know where it is and some PFBC employee being paid in that building 150 ft from the obstruction could not even put a bouy or marker of somekind up. Rather us risk our props on that POS . What if you blew your prop on bad seas , wind & water caused your vessel to get pushed into the rocks .

Definately a safety hazard ; but instead they're worried if your freaking wiring is shorted out and fining accordingly after your boat is beat to crap on the waves all day. They must not understand that wiring may come loose after consitent beating that 4-6ft waves provide.  
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/07 23:07:04 (permalink)
It's odd that thousands of boats went in and out every week without problem. They (the PF&BC) sent people in to the channel to check it out, and could not find said rock.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/08 04:08:14 (permalink)
I went out of Walnut many times last year and never encountered a rock.

Deerslayir
Avid Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/08 09:03:32 (permalink)
They posted it right on there wave report spoon, they were very aware of it. I went up and asked about it why nothing was being done about it, and they gave me line of crap, about shutting down the whole luanch. They said they couldnt find it? Why is it on their wave report on here? Moxie Fishes every single day the lake allows him to and he trashed his prop. I only dinged something like I said, they knew it was there. I hope they did something or are doing something with it before boating starts again this year
Storm Warning 2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 583
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/10 12:06:45 (permalink)
All the more reason to fish out of Conneaut...
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to: