Brown trout swim onto the scene

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Author
chipmunk
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 18:04:00 (permalink)
Its already been mentioned but you guys should check out the brown trout goby connection article on page 86 of this months In-Fisherman. I can't seem to find it online but its a really interesting read.  The guy talks about his experiences on lake Michigan but it should apply to Erie too.  I would love to see them.  I don't much like crowds so I haven't made a trip up to fish the steelhead run but judging by that article I might even get into browns on my smallmouth/walleye trips. 

As for the people thinking that they would drain the forage base even more, the fact that they eat gobies should help keep them away from the steelhead food, but the article also mentions them leaving once the water temp hits 65 or so.  If they just move out a bit deeper and still focus on goby I dont see what they would hurt, but if they move on out and join the steelies, who knows...   
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 18:06:03 (permalink)
If you are worried about the streams from a biological standpoint.  They shouldn't be stocking 1,000,000 fish in the first place.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 18:11:55 (permalink)
I couldn't agree with you more musky they need to stop spending the boaters stamp money on stream access. There should have been two stamps a lake stamp and a stream stamp.  The only active clubs are the stream guys ie the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I encourage every boater to join the downriggers club get involved and go after the money that we contributed. Before it is to late. Dan
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 18:24:37 (permalink)
Mike,

With the current numbers of "predatory" fish Walleye, Smallmouth in the lake, then include Perch, Sheephead, and yes Steelhead, an additional 100,000 fish would  not even be noticed.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
chrisrowboat
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 19:04:27 (permalink)
Have to agree there should have been a LE stamp, too, More fed. tax  money.

The PA shore line is pretty limited as to where a boat access can be affordably placed and there is already a very nice natural harbor on the lake.  The deep draft boats have no problem nor the 1,000 footers.
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 19:39:22 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Mike,

With the current numbers of "predatory" fish Walleye, Smallmouth in the lake, then include Perch, Sheephead, and yes Steelhead, an additional 100,000 fish would  not even be noticed.

I would have to disagree with you on that one. Even at a 75% survival rate, that's a lot of extra fish in the lake. But, like I stated before, I'm not a biologist.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 19:54:05 (permalink)
So if the brown trout eat the gobbies wouldnt that put a damper on the smalliemouth size and population? So once again the boat people get to suffer so the steelhead guys can catch a fish of a different color. Does this make sence to anybody but myself.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 20:03:05 (permalink)
I don't see any harm in throwing browns into the mix as long as the total number of stocked fish stays the same....It actually would not hurt to stock less, take some of the money saved and apply it to other species and lower the daily limit of steel to one or two fish per day.  However, like spoon said, complaining about it on here alone won't solve anything

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 20:12:15 (permalink)
Mike,

If I rember correctly, Walleye populations range from 45-60 MILLION, Perch over 100 million. I don't know what the Smallie pop. is, let alone Goats. Then add 1.2 million Steelhead, from Pa. and another million+ from other states. Again 100,000 fish is insignficant in comparison to the lake's overall population. An above average Walleye hatch adds a good many times more fish to the system than that.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
mikeg
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 20:20:38 (permalink)
But do all those walleye, perch, and other fish live within a 2-3 mile section of shoreline? Those fish migrate and use the whole portion of the lake. Browns will stay within a small percentage of the lake.

I'm asking this not for argument sake, but to better understand and perhaps close the argument with myself.

mikeg
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 20:22:10 (permalink)
Personally, I'd rather see 100,000 smallies stocked...

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 20:37:07 (permalink)
The Walleye are obviously quite migratory, the Perch less so. I would suspect there is a pretty substantial perch population in that range year round, and undoubtedly a sizable number of Sheephead. The forage ALSO moves, one of the reasons the predators do.

"Personally, I'd rather see 100,000 smallies stocked... "

I can't say for sure, but I doubt you would notice the difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 20:46:09 (permalink)
But should it be a stamp or a launch fee?  I guess a stamp would collect more money.  It just bothers me that they don't see boating access as a big issue.  Not to generalize, but I would bet that the guy that drags his boat up for the weekend contributes more money to the local economy than a guy stream fishing (please don't get mad here, mostly just boat fuel). I can not count how many guys from where I live who don't come up because they don't want to have to deal with the circus at walnut, or better yet wait in line and be told, "sorry lot is full" at 6 am. 

I like the stamp and I like the fact that the money is procuring fishing access, but they shouldn't have pretended like it would benifit boating.

I would be glad to join any club that helps promote access development and repair, anyone who has info drop me a pm.

That being said, cutting the chrome by 100,000 and introducing browns would be fun.

post edited by MuskyMastr - 2008/03/03 20:49:18

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 20:55:00 (permalink)
Musky,

It is not BS that you have to go after the money. The PF&BC did not present this program, and ask for our support. WE ( anglers, clubs like the PSA,WCC, SONS ) ASKED for it. They helped get it through, and it is reasonable that WE play the leading role in making it successful. They also HAVE put out a lot of effort, both out front and behind the scenes.

Politics play a part in anything. One of the reasons we need to support the PF&BC, and PGC, rather than see them merged under the DCNR where politics will play an even bigger role. It's also why organization is so important. This program was difficult to get through, and politics DID play a part. ONE organization from central Pa. wanted the monies to go to the general fund ( even though it is payed entirely by Erie anglers ) they had influence on a couple of key legislators, and got the dedication limited to five years. It would not even have been allowed out of commitee without that limit. The power of organization. And not to keep tooting their horn, but. Were it not for the PSA, with support of anglers, and the other clubs I mentioned, this program would not exist. Again the power of organization.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 21:04:44 (permalink)
Musky,

Boating "access" is far more difficult to adress. First you can not build launch facilities on land you do not own. Second constuction of such facilities costs many, MANY times more than the stamp will ever generate. Third is the red tape, engineering studies, environmental studies, permits, required for any such projects on the lake. I don't know the answer for this, but I'm pretty sure it's not here.

PS: tell your friends that Walnut is not the ONLY launch in the area.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 21:22:00 (permalink)
That was kind of my point, that the stamp is not going to raise enough to create new access.  It is the only access on the west side for large boats, and the closest for those coming from the south (with gas this way, that will matter).

However, the PFBC has employees that could do all the environmental "red tape" work instead of farming it out.  Do I believe that ****ing on here will help, no.  But if this is the plan for stamp money, then call it a steelhead stamp and I shouldnt have to buy one if I don't fish the tribs.  Once again I am not begrudging those who are seeing the benefits (improved access on the streams is great)  but 25% of those stamps are erie only and not trout, so not trib fishermen.

I completley understand the politics behind it, but PFBC is privately funded.

Finally if they have decided that stream access was the priority then split the monies that way. 3 years worth for stream projects and 2 years for boating projects.  I have just dealt with this sort of thing enough times to know that "easement fever" has a grip on that fund, and at the end of the five years boaters will have gotten the short end of the stick and footed at least half the bill.

Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 22:11:46 (permalink)
I talked with Sam Cancilla  Friday and he told me its gonna be an exchange Steelhead for Browns, not sure on the numbers but no more fish total. It will be the same just  more species. I agree I think they should have another boat launch on the west side as well, but from everything I have heard it sounds pretty much impossible. I think they are buying up too much land and not doing very much for boaters, but like Spoon said complaining here does nothing. I am just glad the money is staying here locally for the most part. The next Commissioner has a big role to fill and I really hope to god its someone local. If somebody down state gets the job wait til you see where the money goes....  
post edited by Deerslayir - 2008/03/03 22:12:19
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 22:31:27 (permalink)
If its an even exchange thats good news I guess. I say start with one and see what happens.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 22:34:24 (permalink)
Exchange is good, should be fun anyway!

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 06:55:50 (permalink)
I'm sure they had the chance to buy the Elk access at Girard..$400,000 sounded pretty reasonable to me.  The DCNR boought it.  What are the chances that a ramp facility will be built there?  The diehard steelheaders would probably be apposed too (no offense).  We all pretty much know where the moneys have been directed and where they will probably continue to be directed.  I'm with MuskyMastr...call it an Erie steelhead tributary stamp.

Buckets Charter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 97
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 07:08:42 (permalink)
Finally the truth comes out the stamp was created by the clubs not the pfbc at the boaters expense. it was never intended to be for the boaters only for the streams.
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 10:10:13 (permalink)
I guarantee 50 letters on Doug Austen's desk could change that.

spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 10:39:23 (permalink)
Dan,

The fact that the concept of the stamp came from the clubs "for stream access", was never hidden. Another truth, is that neither the clubs, nor the PF&BC were responsible for the final wording of the bill. That came from the legislature.

There ARE ways to use these monies for the boat/lake angler, I mentioned a few, I'm sure there are others.

Give me a call when you get a chance.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 10:47:34 (permalink)
The issue of launch facilities and access to streams for stream fishing are two totally different things and they need not be at odds with each other.  Spoon made a good point about boating facilities and stream access.  I do not own a boat, have no desire to own a boat and do not have any desire to fish in Lake Erie from a boat, but I realize that others do and support the development of launch facilities, but I do not support it at the detrement of the steelhead program.  IMO - what needs to happen is more emphasis be placed on the boaters needs and partnerships between the state, the PFBC and local govt'. be set up to address the issue. 

Sport fishing, be it steelhead fishing in a stream or boating on Lake Erie is an important economic engine for Erie county.  It would seem to me that the PFBC should not be the sole source of funds and that local and to some extent state monies should be invested into the facilities.  Face it, the better the facilities, the more likely they will be used and the more likely they are used, more money will enter the local economy.  Not being an economic analyst, I don't know what the actually dollars and cents would be, but I would tend to think that at some point there could be at least a break even point reached where the investment would equal the return.  I also know that to get something done, talking about it here is only going to go so far.  Ideas being shared is the first step.  Putting them into action requires talking with the folks that can make things happen.

One other thing that I know is that if we fisherman start fighting among ourselves and only pushing our own agenda, this is not helpful for anyone.  We need to promote fishing and all aspects of the fishery, not just that portion we enjoy.  In other words, the stream fisherman need to support the boaters and the boaters the stream fisherman.  If that requires as a stream fisherman, I will pay a little more so that boaters have a facility, then that is what it takes. 

pax vobiscum +
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 11:03:19 (permalink)
Shut,

Why would they buy the Elk property, when public access is assured through DCNR ownership. The DCNR also has a much larger budget, and far more likely to improve or add launch facilities than the PF&BC would. In fact a "safe harbor" was looked into, and the cost of construction, and annual maintenance was beyond both budgets.

Construction of marina, or launch facilities on the lake, is not as easy as some seem to want to believe. They are finding this out at the Shades Beach facility. Now before you start comparing N.Y. and Ohio, both recieve general fund monies for capital projects. Ohio's facilities. also for the most part are built on larger, deeper waters, with strong consistent flows, which keep an open channel. If it were that easy to build, and maintain a marina on the lake, and there were such "great demand" some private entity would have done so. The only such facility on the west side CLOSED down.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 11:11:53 (permalink)
"but I would tend to think that at some point there could be at least a break even point reached where the investment would equal the return."

There is also point where demand is met, and additional investment, produces no additional return. 

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 11:48:08 (permalink)
True Spoon.

pax vobiscum +
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 12:22:04 (permalink)
I  dont see how Brown Trout only benefits stream anglers, Granted they will be  easier to target in a stream, versus open water. I cant speak for everyone but I think most people would be happy to land a brown in open just as much if not more then in a stream. Dan I am sure you will land some browns on your charters in the summer when the time comes and your clients will be very happy with that 1 or 2  bonus fish on top of 36 walleye. Dan does the Pittsburgh downriggers do much for lake issues just curious? I seen their news letter looks like something I would like to read monthly, where can I get an application?  Spoon is right the clubs never hid what they were trying to do, we should be happy alot of the money stayed here in our waters
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 12:43:02 (permalink)
I have no intention of fighting amongst ourselves.  My part in this discussion is a learning eperience. I think improving access on the tribs is great, and i like the idea of catching the occasional brown on the lake.  But shame on the clubs, sportsmen and legislators who were and are happy to improve thier fishery on money from others who could use it as well.

IUP30
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/04 12:44:57 (permalink)
Plenty of charters on Lake Ontario target the browns in spring and I'm sure people book with them just for the chance at a big brownie.  I can hear the glow frog spoon calling...
post edited by IUP30 - 2008/03/04 12:45:26
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 3 of 5
Jump to: