Brown trout swim onto the scene

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Author
Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2672
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 21:57:19 (permalink)
bring the browns to town.
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 22:15:19 (permalink)
I say bring them here i miss tho cohos badly probably the only one who does,but browns will add a little variety to the fun!

I have become comfortably numb
qsbill
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 33
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 22:15:44 (permalink)
Just something about catching a brown, usually a big surprise because there are not many to be caught. The colors on them are just super!!
Bill
swinger
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1376
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 22:36:36 (permalink)
With them being stocked it wont be a surprise it will be the norm

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
loaftech
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 269
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 22:48:39 (permalink)
why did they stop stalking the salmon in erie? people didnt like catching them? was the fishery not right for the species?....  just wondering

Thanks guys!
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 23:04:21 (permalink)
They stopped stocking them in OH because of poor returns and disease. There really wasnt good water for them to summer in. I would assume PA results were the same but I dont know for sure.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 23:22:22 (permalink)
Bull$hit, we are getting new easements every day, and that is great.  Local wco says there are 12 more under negotiation.  Good, great, stamp dollars at work.  But they better **** sure start spending some of that money on the boaters before they go adding to the stockie program.  How many ramps on the east side need work?  How many more are needed on the west side.  I love to trout fish but the money spent on them by the state is sickening, yes it raises money, but enough is enough.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 23:25:29 (permalink)
Mainly poor returns,with steelhead more returns by far pretty much steelhead are much more adaptable to the forage base that erie has to offer and are way more cost effective.

Deadbolt401
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3029
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 01:11:35 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Loomis

Im down with the browns, throw em in, the more the merrier.  Ill take a lisence increase too, doesn't matter I get my moneys worth out of my lisence every single year a few bucks wont hurt or break the bank no use crying over spilled milk.  Bonus brownies mixed in with steel are always a good thing, NY does it, y not Erie.  Pollute the streams with more fish they can handle it.

I'm with loomis on this one, I'd pay whatever they want me to, to be able to fish.

One of my goals is to catch an 8+ Brownie on a fly. Looks like I wont have to go to NY to do it. This is a good idea by the state.
psbfisher11
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 03:04:03 (permalink)
I would love to catch a monster brown in spawning colors with a hooked jaw..that would be awesome
jon_e_si
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1103
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 06:12:33 (permalink)
BIGGEST "BANG" FOR THE BUCK??? YOU DON'T NEED A NEW HATCHERY FOR 50-100,000 FISH - PROBABLY WOULD BE CHEAPER TO BUY THEM FROM NEW YORK OR SOME OTHER HATCHERY! MORE BROWNS WOULD BE NICE, BUT SOUNDS LIKE A BUREAUCRAT WANTING TO INCREASE HIS EMPIRE!

IF THEY BOUGHT THEIR NEW STOCKING, THEY COULD BEGIN IN 2008 AND GET A YEAR'S LEAD IN EVALUATING THE SUCCESS/FAILURE OF SUCH AN INCREASE, WITHOUT THE EXPENSE OF A "NEW" HATCHERY. NEW YORK'S ATTEMPT TO RE-INTRODUCE THE ATLANTIC SALMON WAS NOT AS SUCCESSFUL AS THEY ANTICIPATED AND THE PACIFIC (KING/COHO) SALMON PROGRAM SUFFERED AS A RESULT!
Deerslayir
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 175
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 06:37:44 (permalink)
More species will more then likely attract more people, we have 56 miles of shore line and our state puts the most steelhead in lake erie. Its great being able to go to a stream and catch steelhead 5,10,15, 20 whatever it may be. I dont think alot of people realize where our steelhead go in the summer, they head to canadian waters and get netted. The brown trout is more of a home body fish. They will stay in our water, they can adapt to warmer water as well. Its gonna be a win win for the fishermen and the local economy. If they take out 100,000 steelhead I dont see it hurting the overall numbers of the steelhead return very much at all. I think its a great idea to add some variety and to add a fish thats gonna hang around in our waters and mix in with the walleye come summer time, sounds great.
post edited by Deerslayir - 2008/03/03 06:38:16
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 06:50:09 (permalink)
It is a great idea by the state and I agree.  Why browns someone asked.  Variety!...in the look and in the fight.  Browns do fight differently as well as look awesome.  The biggest difference in the fight is that browns tend to bulldog more and steelies usually like the acrobatics.  I'm going along with all of this, however, I do not think more fish should be stocked period.  replace whatever numbers of steelies and stock the browns in their place.  I'd love to see salmon as well, but to many issues there...dead fish on stream banks and low returns means more work for the commission.  Finally, I hope that the license fees do not go up because of it.  I will pay and so will you, I know.  However when is enough, enough?  Believe me, they generate enough to make it happen now!

We'll see and time will tell!  And I'll be back to discuss issue in due time.
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/03 06:52:23

swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 07:57:43 (permalink)
Bring on the browns. "Watch what you ask for because you may just get it." A phrase that all of us have heard before. http://www.fish.state.pa.us/anglerboater/1999/julaug99/lerieerr.htm  In this article he says "They do well in Lake Erie" Sounds hopeful to me. He also says " but not as well as we would like" Doesnt sound to good to me. http://cattaraugusfishery2.tripod.com/fish/fish.html In this article it says that they were stocked for 20 years and stopped do to low returns. Doesnt sound good. Also says they were tried again in 2002 to try to eliminate the steelhead program. The reason they put them back in was to try and get a native steelhead run and not for anglers to catch a fish of a different color. Whats the main reason PA wants to put the browns in? "We are looking at this as a way to bolster that steelhead fishery and provide some variety," Miko said. Bolster the steelhead fishery? I didnt think it neaded any help.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
Bughawk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3247
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 09:36:24 (permalink)
It is interesting to listen to the debate.  Browns good, lets bring them on.  Browns bad, will mess up what we currently have.  The license fees will go up, no they won't..... 

To me one of the bigest problems PA has is determining exactly what they expect of their programs.  I realize economics is at the bottom of all the decisions made, but it seems to me there needs to be a clearer philosophy of what the fishery is.  Is this fishery designed to provide food for the meat fisherman who flock to the streams and haul out their limit each time they come?  I am not being critical of that, but if providing meat for the fisherman is a major priority, then the large numbers of fish are needed.  If on the other hand, the philosophy is to develop a more sporting based fishery, where catch and release is emphasized and the fisherman are looking more for the experience of fishing than keeping fish, way less fish could be stocked and the lower numbers of fish would provide a greater challenge to the fisherman.  In other words, how you manage the resource will depend on what your intended participant's expectations are.

It may sound silly to talk about the expectations of the fishing public, but in reality many of the heated discussion on this board have boiled down to radically different ideas of what the fishery is and more importantly ought to be.  With a clearer idea of direction, I believe some of the conflicts could be eliminated.  As crazy as it may seem, there could be different streams or portions of streams designated for different harvest numbers, types of equipment used, seasons when they are open, etc... to provide for the needs and expectations of the different fisherman.  Of course, we can continue with the current free-for-all, just dump a ton of fish in the streams and pretty much anything goes philosophy.  It seems to work for most people on some level as well as frustrate most people on a different level.  Maybe that is just the price we pay for what we have.

BTW - I am looking forward to the browns.  They are beautiful fish and I really like catching them.

pax vobiscum +
swinger
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 10:25:25 (permalink)
nice post bughawk

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
cp13
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 542
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 10:28:34 (permalink)
i think brown trout would be fun, catching the same type of fish over and over again does get old occasionally...
S-10
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5185
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 10:44:08 (permalink)
I think the amount of catch and release we have now is about all we can expect to have. The locals and a few others who get to fish a lot will release the majority of the fish  if for no other reason than they aren't all that good and even if they were how many can you eat. The folks who travel a long ways and those who only get to fish a few times a year will probably take their limit to smoke or show off. Based on my streamside conversations there are a whole lot of out of towners(myself included). I don't keep them but have no trouble with those who do. The browns light my fishing fire and always have. Bring on the hook jawed browns.
GreeneGuy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 18
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 10:45:31 (permalink)
Depending on the hardiness of the browns when it comes to summering in lake erie I say go ahead and stock them if they have good returns.  maybe substitute them for some steelheads as some already mentioned.  I can't say I get bored with steelies, They are a blast to catch, but browns are a beautiful fish, and if they think browns will work, they should try.
pafisher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3000
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 11:14:25 (permalink)
I would like to see Brown Trout stocked,but I feel they could stock fewer Steelies in place of the number of Browns that are stocked.If the PFC is n't sure as to when and how to stock the Browns they only need to look to NY for the answers,they have been doing it for quite awhile.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 12:14:04 (permalink)
"But they better **** sure start spending some of that money on the boaters before they go adding to the stockie program.  How many ramps on the east side need work?  How many more are needed on the west side."

Musky,

To start, NONE of the stamp monies go toward stocking of ANY species. Secondly, I agree that a way must be found to direct some of those monies toward the boat/lake fishery. This is a flaw in the program, which included the lake, in the stamp requirement. The legislation that authorized the stamp is very restrictive in how those monies are spent. It can not be used to replace, or repair current docks/ramps. I "believe" it CAN be used to build no ones, if a loction can be acquired. It can also be used to make existing docks/ramps handicap accessable. The construction of fishing piers into the lake, or bay would also fall into acceptable use.

Priority has been given to stream access for two reasons. First, is the more pressing need. We are not threatened with the loss of lake, or bay access, but were in the case of stream access. Second, stream anglers, along with organizations such as the PSA, and WCC PURSUED these funds. We, along with the help of local governments identified possible locations, and projects as well as sources of matching funds.

Boat/lake anglers need to do the same. Organize, identify potential projects, seek additional funding  ( matching funds grants ), present a proposal, and go after these funds. Sitting back complaining that they're not getting any of the money won't get it done.  

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
FlashDance
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 968
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 12:22:17 (permalink)
2002, that was the year of my first trip to the state of New York. Why New York?

Variety. A variety of fish and scenery.

Vacation. It's fishing, fishing, fishing. We don't have to go back home and deal with work, family, etc.
Wake up before the sun. Fish 'til the sun goes down. Shower. Eat. Sleep. Start again.

Will stocking Browns in Lake Erie Tribs by the commission attract more anglers?
I highly doubt it. Fishing the Erie tribs has a very 'suburban' feel.
Fishing the Ontario tribs has a more 'rural' feel.
Many people who are 'brownie' nuts, want the 'rural' experience.
Ontario tribs are simply different. Different in the fish and the experience.

Another example would be access. Those who have fished New York can tell you that on many
streams, you have to climb down a cliff to access the stream. I'd love to take my dad there, however,
that won't happen. He simply would not be able to get to the stream.

As far as stocking brownies in PA goes, I think they should stock them directly into the lake in May.
IMO, that would give them the best chance for survival.

Difference between New York and Pa trib browns.

Pa brown

NY brown
post edited by FlashDance - 2008/03/03 12:24:42
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 12:30:17 (permalink)
"Someone's looking to make a name for himself."  "It's just an excuse to raise prices next year."

This thread is typical of why there will always be folks denigading the PF&BC, and folks defending them. They CAN"T win. No matter what they do, it's the "wrong thing", the "wrong place", the "wrong species", or "not enough".

A large number of anglers, and at least one local organization, has expressed a desire for increased Brown stocking, AND presented a case for it. Did you ever consider that the PF&BC is just trying to meet the needs, and wishes of their customers? They DO listen to us, but you have to speak to THEM. Expressing your opinion here, may make you feel better, but it won't "get it done".

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 16:04:35 (permalink)
Spoon, I completely understand the access issues and the importance of procuring easments on the tribs.  As far as I am concerened it is money well spend and I am not a steelhead fisherman.

Secondly, having to go after that money as you have described is B.S.  Ask us to pay a fee to improve our fishing and then make us beg for it, no thanks.........As far as not going toward fish...185,754 combo stamps have been sold for $1,486,032  and additional 45,883 were Erie only stamps only which totals $367,064 for a grand total of roughly 1.85 million or 925,000 a year.  That money is only set aside for erie improvements for the first five years of the stamp after that it goes into the general fund, where it will most certainly pay for the deficit spending in the current fish raising programs.

If you put a stamp into effect to benefit a fishery that extends only 57 miles, then get busy and go to work.  Don't sit around and make clubs beg and compete for thier "pet" projects.  Get out from behind your desk and start projects.

If they have no intention of using it for anything rather than stream access then tell us that from the start.  Obviously they are never going to raise enough money in 5 years to aquire land and put in a new access area. 

I would really like to see the exact wording of the bill that passed (Act 159).

Better too far back, than too far forward.
mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 16:35:00 (permalink)
I'm not a marine biologist, by all means, but has anyone stopped and thought about the impact 100,000 more predatory fish will do to the lake? Everyone is concerned about the creeks and access, but what about the lakes shrinking baitfish populations? Just a thought.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
IUP30
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 376
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 16:54:25 (permalink)
I'm not sure where I read it but maybe In-Fisherman where there was a study on the brown trout and goby connection in Lake O (I believe but correct me if I'm wrong here).  They found that the browns, with their tendency to stay closer to shore near their creek mouths fed ALOT on gobies.  I'm not saying adding 100,000 more predatory fish to the equation will affect our baitfish population either way but it may help with getting rid of some of those gobies. 

Personally, I'd be more inclined to do as others have mentioned earlier and just cut back slightly on the steelhead stocking by 100,000 offset by the browns.  This way, we're still putting what is it now, 1 million fish, into the streams to go out to the lake. 

And, if that's so, I don't think browns would be the "norm" when you're fishing up in Erie.  Think about it, if we stock 900,000 steelies and 100,000 browns, that's already a 9 to 1 ratio.  For every 9 steel you catch, you might get a brown.  That's not even accounting for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th year fish that come back into the streams. 

I've still yet to land a brown in Erie and have only hooked on since I've moved here almost 4 years ago now.  That brown I had on was also in my first year I was here and haven't been lucky enough to get one since.  The first mounted fish I get, as I've said this for years, will be a trophy brown with big hook jaw.  I'm waiting for that fish and then I'll start mounting other trophies but the brownie is what I want...
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 17:04:26 (permalink)
Flash dance well said man there is definatley a difference between ontario tribs and lake erie tribs fished salmon maxwell grindstone oswego in the 80s as a young teenager then move here to pa from ct in 1994 and it has mostly been elk elk and moer elk but i look forward to my semi annual brown,coho king steelhead rural smorgasboard!! in upstate ny but i have to admit i love the erie fish even more.

ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 17:32:23 (permalink)
If you read earlier mikeg...I proposed that they replace 100,000 steelies with the browns.  Because you are absolutely correct, we do not need more fish in the system which includes the big pond.

Musky, I'm with you...It is eveident they generate a lot of funds...I think their biggest problem is not generating the money, but rather managing it!!! 
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/03 17:34:12

Loomis
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2672
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 17:35:56 (permalink)
Iv'e been lucky enough to catch 3 browns in Erie, nothing of real size but it's still cool and would love to have them around in numbers.  Iv'e seen some beasties in the water and on stringers, unfortunatley.  Hopefully as Bughawk hinted at the browns will bring a new idea to a section of water, I would LOVE it if say 20 mile from rt 5 south was C&R or FFO, will never happen but it would be awesome, and beneficial. 

Scoot you brought up a great point, the 9:1 ratio will practically be harmless to the amount of steelhead that will be in there.  I dont see what would be so bad or "abnormal" about catching a brown trout anyways, they're just as cool if not cooler than steelhead to me, love the color, fight, and photo.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/03 17:40:56 (permalink)
anadromous,

Your story reminds me of our annual trips to Canada....We fish hard from sun up to sun down and talk about the cold Canadian beers all day!  We get back to the cottage and we're so anxious to down that first cold one!!  Often times, however, we find ourselves falling asleep before we finish it.  I once fell asleep, beer in hand and ended up spilling it all down my neck and chest....funny thing is, I never knew about it until the next morning!

I was ridiculed for a week about the terrible waste of **** good beer! 
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/03 17:42:42

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 2 of 5
Jump to: