• Total Posts : 580
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/02 10:49:26 (permalink)

Brown trout swim onto the scene

Brown trout swim onto the scene
By Bob Frye
TRIBUNE-REVIEW OUTDOORS EDITOR
Sunday, March 2, 2008

Ask most anglers and they'd probably say Erie's steelhead fishery is one of the best of its kind. But could it be even better?

We're apparently going to find out. The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission is embarking on an effort to further improve the fishing by mixing in a few brown trout.

Dave Miko, chief of the commission's bureau of fisheries management, said the agency hopes -- no later than 2009 -- to begin stocking 50,000-100,000 brown trout each year in Lake Erie itself or its tributary streams.

"We're looking at this as a way to bolster that steelhead fishery and provide some variety," Miko said.

Anglers already catch some brown trout in Lake Erie and its tributaries. Those may be fish that grew to adulthood after being stocked as fingerlings by New York's Department of Environmental Conservation or the 3-CU cooperative nursery in Erie, Miko said. They might be adult fish stocked by the Fish and Boat Commission, too.

But if the Fish and Boat Commission adds fish to the mix, catches could go up, Miko said.

There are still some things to work out, however. Chief among them is how and where the commission is going to raise the fish.

Sportsmen will handle part of the work. The 3-CU nursery raises 14,000 brown trout for the commission each year now. A new group, the Wesleyville Nursery on 12 Mile Creek, wants to raise 10,000-12,000 more.

The get to 100,000, though, the commission would have to raise 25,000-75,000 fish on its own. It's unclear which hatchery or hatcheries -- if any -- can handle that, said Brian Wisner, director of fish production for the commission.

"I think if you're going to put this effort into Erie, you're going to need another hatchery. Period," said commission president Bill Sabatose of Jefferson County.

Commissioner Sam Concilla of Erie County said he's not advocating that yet. For now, the answer might be to partner with sportsmen and local municipalities to create another cooperative nursery in Erie, he said.

Also to be determined is whether to stock fish in spring or fall and where to put them. One option is to release them into the main lake and Presque Isle; another is to put them into its tributary streams.

"The question is, how do you get the best bang for your buck?" said commissioner Bob Bachman of Lancaster County.

Concilla said he hopes to see some brown trout stocked as soon as this fall while those details are worked out.

"I'm all for it," he said.

The idea of stocking brown trout into Lake Erie is so new that no one asked the agency's hatchery staff last fall to factor the additional fish into the "crop" hatched then.

That means it's unclear how many trout, if any, the hatcheries will be able to supply for stocking in Erie this year. That answer won't be known for another month or so.

The commission wants to track how many of its brown trout wind up on the end of anglers' lines, though, so any fish that are released will be fin clipped. Anglers will be asked to report their catches via a resurrected Lake Erie log program or an open lake angler survey. Commission crews will also count the brown trout they see while collecting steelhead brood stock in Trout Run and Godfrey Run each November.

Bob Frye can be reached at bfrye@tribweb.com or 724-838-5148.

132 Replies Related Threads

rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 10:55:28 (permalink)
    ronnie, your thoughts on this?

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 10:59:31 (permalink)
    You think the fishing pressure is nuts now, you wait until the browns go in.  It will be a freaking madhouse.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 11:11:22 (permalink)
    Here we go....expect the prices of our licenses to go up next year!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the browns stocked!  But I can't stand the constant attitude and search for excuses for seeking for more funds in this state fish/game!  I say stock 100,000 less steelhead and replace them with the browns....The streams are already un-naturally overrun by steelies.  Not that I'm complaining, just saying it wouldn't hurt.

Bottom Line....expect a license increase in '09 if this all goes through...mark my words.

And quit whining about the pressure, deal with it, it will always be there
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/02 11:13:34

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 11:17:36 (permalink)
    Sounds awesome, I would love to see more browns.

So be it if the price of a license goes up.  Even with an increase, that probably wouldn't be more than a few bucks, you are still getting alot of entertainment for the buck.  Plus, I am pretty sure that the regular license cost has been the same price for close to 10 years.  They will have to compensate for inflation one way or another.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2008/03/02 11:29:08
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 11:35:20 (permalink)
    Love those browns. (not the football kind) They can stock all they want.
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 11:42:58 (permalink)
    Well it'd certainly be nice to have a higher likely chance at some big browns mixed in with some steelhead, that's for sure.

I wonder if less would travel to NY once this happens...
    post edited by ronnie84 - 2008/03/02 11:48:43
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 11:53:33 (permalink)
    No offense Esox, but thats BULL.  I purchase my PA license a NY, MICH, OH and Ontario license annually and it all adds up.  Not to mention buying for two children and a wife.  How about you?  You know, I really do not mind paying for them either #1 because I am passionate about fishing and #2 if I see improvements being made to our fisheries.  But why in God's name should we be taken advantage of just because someone knows we are passionate about something and will pay almost any price to get involved?  And why aren't there more improvements being made in other areas of the sport other than just trout/steelhead fishing?  Other gamefish, launching, facilities etc. etc.

I pay $35 for my seasonal Ont. license, Around $40 each for NY, OH and MICH.....I've been paying around that same price for nearly 10 years.  PAs fees are constantly going up and have been for some time now.  My buddy just got his license at Wal-Mart with all of his combinations for $44, I was stunned, since I paid $38 in Jan.  I said it must have been a misktake...I dunno.  IMO, there is just something wrong with the picture when I pay as much, sometimes less, for non-resident licenses as I do for a license in my home state of PA!  And don't anyone give me the line of "we have more fishing opportunities"  Thats bull too!  I may agree that we may have more "trout" fishing opportunities than the other surrounding states, but PA is nowhere close to the overall fishing opportunities that NY, MICH and Ontario have to offer....no way.

Again, sorry for the rant guys, but I'm tired of feeling taken advantage of.  And as I said before, get ready for the increase, its coming, especially now that they have a good excuse for it!!  They are also trying to make the kids 16 and under pay a fee now, and you all just keep making the comment "Its cheap for the entertainment we get"  No sir, it is our right and our natural resource that we are entitled to and the government is taking every advantage of it and reaping more benefit from it than we are.  Believe that!......Boy don't the PA politicians just have it made? 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/02 12:00:46

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 12:04:21 (permalink)
    Shut,

The PF&BC has no plans to push for an increase,and ( for about the thousandth time ) they can not IMPOSE one. License increases require legislative approval. The last increase ( the first in over ten years ) was difficult to get through, and was structure to meet the needs of the commission for several years.

Also a large part of the increase in Brown stocking will come from VOLUNTEER organizations such as 3CU, and the WCC.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    qsbill
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 33
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 12:21:33 (permalink)
    Adding a % of Browns to the crop of smolts released would be a good idea. They are seldom (low %) caught now I belive (not like steelhead), would hold longer in Elk Creek, Crooked Creek, ect. for extended fishing. Depending on the loss rate and actual return to the streams in Pa., a higher raise and release should be tried for the Browns.
    Tight lines.
    Bill
    avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 12:45:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

Here we go....expect the prices of our licenses to go up next year!

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see the browns stocked!  But I can't stand the constant attitude and search for excuses for seeking for more funds in this state fish/game!  I say stock 100,000 less steelhead and replace them with the browns....The streams are already un-naturally overrun by steelies.  Not that I'm complaining, just saying it wouldn't hurt.

Bottom Line....expect a license increase in '09 if this all goes through...mark my words.

And quit whining about the pressure, deal with it, it will always be there

I will agree i'm whining about something I have little to no control over, but heres why.  Alot of people travel to new york to fish browns rite now.  New yorks streams have limited access without alot of posted grounds.  I've inquired to locals and guides why this is?  They have told me littering and snagging is big problem and a reason as to why people have posted the land.  This makes me wonder if this will happen in PA. Maybe, maybe not but once we have no more access to fish the streams, what will we do? The fish comm, 3CU and PSA do alot of work now to keep the access as open as possible, I commend them for this, but if you bring more people in from across the US won't this cause more problems than its actually worth in the long run? Just my 2 cents...

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2981
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 12:57:06 (permalink)

Avidangler,
    These brown trout won't get anywhere near the size of Lake Ontario's brown trout.
    NY also stocks brown trout in Lake Erie and they run much smaller that the Lk Ontario fish.
    Most go 16-22 inches and but there have been a few caught that exceeded 30"
    I doubt there will be an increase of anglers to catch 2-6 lb brownies.

Gone Fishing
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1376
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 15:09:17 (permalink)
    R U people serious? You mean to tell me that you want to put an additional 100,000 fish in. Why? Doesnt all of your mut steelhead run the same time these browns would? Why would you want to pollute your streams with more fish? Wouldnt it be wiser to stock a fish that runs at a different time than your mut steelhead? Whats the reason behind this? Is it so you guys can get a fish in a different color?

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 15:18:45 (permalink)
    Swinger what did I tell you about posting nonsense?  If you don't like the Mut steelhead stay wherever it is you fish and don't be a hater.

Im down with the browns, throw em in, the more the merrier.  Ill take a lisence increase too, doesn't matter I get my moneys worth out of my lisence every single year a few bucks wont hurt or break the bank no use crying over spilled milk.  Bonus brownies mixed in with steel are always a good thing, NY does it, y not Erie.  Pollute the streams with more fish they can handle it.
    Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 15:29:08 (permalink)
    Shut up and Fish!

X

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little...
    FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 16:48:29 (permalink)
    Loomis, just because my opinion differs from yours that makes mine nonsence? Who's hating now? When there is a 100,000 how could it be a bonus? Catching a brown now is a bonus. Catching one later will just be the norm. Please think before you write something Loomis really think.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    mossy oak
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 883
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 17:09:23 (permalink)
    Adding the possibilty of more browns is awesome to me.  So what if you catch 10 chromers and 2 browns a trip.  I don't see the harm in it....only a plus!!

Swinger, seems you have an attitude problem.  All you do is chastise and put down.  Maybe you should think before you speak and try to be a little more positive.

MO

so save your breath I could not hear, I think I made it very clear...

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 17:19:29 (permalink)
    I do nothing but think, everytime you post I think "what a fool".  90% of the novice members on this site that have joined recently post valid questions, and are thankful for a response.  Everytime you post its always negative, im just not scared to call you out on it....

Doesnt all of your mut steelhead run the same time these browns would? - hater

Why would you want to pollute your streams with more fish? - hater

Is it so you guys can get a fish in a different color? - hater

Opinion is one thing, bashing is another my friend.

loaftech
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 269
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 17:23:24 (permalink)
    Browns are my first love and would love to see them stocked in the erie tribs, but maybe in seperate ones than the ones that are now heavily stocked with steel, if you want to mix a fish in i would love to see some SALMON BABY!!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 17:50:54 (permalink)
    Shut,

Once again, IF prices increase it will not likely be more than 10 bucks.  I highly doubt $10 a year will make or break anyone.  If you are that concerned about that kind of money, then you definatly should not be fishing period.  The costs accompanying fishing far exceed the cost of a license.  One trip to erie for me--$40 gas, $10 food, 2 dozen flies lost--$10+my labor, terminal accessories--$10.  There you have it $70 for one day of fishing,  if you are like me and do it alot you will spend a ton.  The cost of a license is trivial when you put it in perspective with of all the rest of the costs associated with fishing.

Perhaps the reason PA license is more money than some of the surrounding states is that by far, we have the largest artificial fishery.  There are not many places in PA where you will catch any gamefish, exluding bass, that was not stocked at some point.  Places like Ontario, Michigan, and New York are far less dependent on stocking and creation of habitat.   Therefore less funds will be required to sustain a good fishery. 
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 18:19:08 (permalink)
    Yeah you're right, we do tend to spend a lot of money on accessories, tackle, boats, gas, etc. which is by choice and thats exactly why it erks me to no end to see them taking advantage of us by  additional tags, stamps and fees.  How many licenses do you buy each year?  I'm assuming 1 from reading your post....I buy 4 in PA alone not counting the additional tags for other states.  It adds up.  A $10 increase to you is $40 for me.  I don't know what you do, but I don't make tons of money and much rather would use that extra $40 towards gas on a trip to erie than an insignificant license fee increase that is just going to line the pockets of some politition a little more!!  Also keep in mind, that we probably have twice the amount of anglers than some of these surrounding states and our fees are always higher.  This debate has been discussed and been beaten like a dead horse and I'm done with it...

I am, however in favor of stocking browns, only in the place of the same amount of steelhead.  Contrary to what some might think, we certainly do not need more fish in the streams, but a variety would be nice and should not cost us anglers a penny more.  Now tell me they will stock Pymy with 100,000 more 6 to 8 inch walleye this year or Moraine with 20,000 8 inch muskie and I'd be glad to pay for something other than trout for a change! 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/02 18:36:11

swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 18:47:50 (permalink)
    Mossy Oak I thank you for voicing your opinion. I happen to look at both sides of the coin before I jump on a bandwagon. Loomis, Doesnt all of your mut steelhead run the same time these browns would? Hater? No just a question. Werent you one of the guys looking to fish elsewhere come spring when PA has a smaller run of fresh fish compared to fall? Why would you pollute your streams with more fish? Hater? No just a question. I recall people on this board agreeing with me when I said PA stocks to many fish in these small waters, and they wouldnt be upset if PA stocked less fish. So why would it be a good idea to put more in? Is it so you guys could catch a fish in a different color? Hater? No just a question. Why would it be so great to catch a brown trout. You arent satisfied with 20 plus silver bullets everytime out? Opinion is one thing but bashing is another. No it should go like this Opinion is one thing but closemindedness is another. I believe you are the one hating because my eyes are wide open. Loaftech I agree with you by putting them in something other than the Lake Erie tribs. But salmon? Thats another thread friend.

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 18:55:31 (permalink)
    Actually, I usually buy at least 3 out of state licenses a year.  MD, WV, NY, and sometimes I get an Ontario license.  It does add up, but the cost of the tags is only a fraction of what the trips cost.  Bottom line, I have no control over what the cost is going to be, and I will continue to buy them regardless of what they cost.

I am in college right now, believe me I don't have much extra money.  What little I do have goes towards beer or fishing.  It's pretty difficult to live on summertime earnings for 8 months!
    flirod4evr
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 208
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 18:58:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

No offense Esox, but thats BULL.  I purchase my PA license a NY, MICH, OH and Ontario license annually and it all adds up.  Not to mention buying for two children and a wife.  How about you?  You know, I really do not mind paying for them either #1 because I am passionate about fishing and #2 if I see improvements being made to our fisheries.  But why in God's name should we be taken advantage of just because someone knows we are passionate about something and will pay almost any price to get involved?  And why aren't there more improvements being made in other areas of the sport other than just trout/steelhead fishing?  Other gamefish, launching, facilities etc. etc.

I pay $35 for my seasonal Ont. license, Around $40 each for NY, OH and MICH.....I've been paying around that same price for nearly 10 years.  PAs fees are constantly going up and have been for some time now.  My buddy just got his license at Wal-Mart with all of his combinations for $44, I was stunned, since I paid $38 in Jan.  I said it must have been a misktake...I dunno.  IMO, there is just something wrong with the picture when I pay as much, sometimes less, for non-resident licenses as I do for a license in my home state of PA!  And don't anyone give me the line of "we have more fishing opportunities"  Thats bull too!  I may agree that we may have more "trout" fishing opportunities than the other surrounding states, but PA is nowhere close to the overall fishing opportunities that NY, MICH and Ontario have to offer....no way.

Again, sorry for the rant guys, but I'm tired of feeling taken advantage of.  And as I said before, get ready for the increase, its coming, especially now that they have a good excuse for it!!  They are also trying to make the kids 16 and under pay a fee now, and you all just keep making the comment "Its cheap for the entertainment we get"  No sir, it is our right and our natural resource that we are entitled to and the government is taking every advantage of it and reaping more benefit from it than we are.  Believe that!......Boy don't the PA politicians just have it made? 

I totally agree with you. Dont get me wrong, I like catching big browns but thats no the reason I go to erie. I go there to catch steelhead and have some fun. What difference does the sub species of fish make to your overall enjoyment. It would be kinda fun to catch a couple 26 inch + browns but the novelty would wear off quickly. And wouldnt they have to be sea-run browns, well maybe not have to but whats stopping these fish from just staying where they were put and never return to the streams. I suppose there is a chance they would follow the steelhead in and feed on theyre eggs but theres no gurantee. Please no one take any of what I said the wrong way this is just my opinion and Im not saying its right of wrong its just what I think.

I'm very familiar with the terms "RUN AND GUN" and "FISH ON!"

"They're in here I can smell 'em"
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 19:20:24 (permalink)
    Do you have control on who your next president is going to be, or your next local state rep.?  You can vote and make that much of a difference.  However you're right, you do not have total control, but you certainly can voice your opinion for what is right and what you believe... not just give in to everything your government does or says you should or should not do.  It all goes much deeper than just raising our license fees a couple of bucks, obviously you don't understand that because you haven't been around enough to know better.  No offense.  And I certainly agree that I'm like you in the sense that no matter what the cost, I will buy my license too.....but there had better be something to show for our hard earned money.  And don't get me wrong, I'm not totally apposed to all that has been done, especially with the steelhead fishery.  Trout...thats another story.  Our hatcheries have been let go and now fish are being purchased out of state.  What about the walleye, muskie and striper?  Why are there not more efforts put into those fisheries with our money?  There have clearly been LESS efforts in recent years locally and we're paying more.  I see it because I'm out there so often.  Pymy's walleye are struggling.  Just show me where my money is going and I'll gladly pay, saying you'll pay just for the sake of paying because you love to fish is pretty darn ignorant and selfish if you ask me.  We need more anglers and hunters out there seeking for justification of why our authorities make these decisions, asking questions and voicing their opinions; or the authorities will just have their way.  And their way, BOTTOM LINE, is almost always geared toward making money and unsually not what is best for the sportsmen and women of our state and what is best for the wildlife and it's future.  Thats the bottom line.

swinger
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 19:22:00 (permalink)
    flirod4evr nailed it "the novlty would were off quickly" Catching 20 plus fish every trip doesnt do it for me. There are so many fish that catching numbers is not a challenge. What makes a trip is that 1 brown I caught or the 1 brown my buddy caught or even that 1 I saw caught by a complete stranger. If you stock them whats so special about it? Nothing. Just another day pounding fish in PA tribs. On a side note. I truely like what shutup has to say.
    post edited by swinger - 2008/03/02 19:24:23

Quality over quantity

I am reality

I>U

JC Rules!!!!!!!
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 20:19:40 (permalink)
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2008/03/03 08:45:10
    Deerslayir
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 20:23:13 (permalink)
    Nobody said anything about a price increase, they are planning on mixing the Browns in with the steelhead, (Example 1.1 million steelhead are stocked now, 100,000 browns will be stocked in exchange for 100,000 less steelhead). Its only gonna make Erie fishing better. Sam Concilla has done a great job as our Commissioner and its very unfortunate his term is coming to an end. He deserves alot of credit for what we have, all of us as fishermen can only hope  we find someone as passionate as him to fill his shoes.
    ronnie84
    Expert Angler
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 20:48:45 (permalink)
    While I realize there are alot (arguably too many) fish stocked, I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy catching ten plus steelhead in a day fishing the creeks. There isn't another place in the world like it and that's what makes it so unique. The fish certainly aren't any 'dumber' just because there are more in numbers.

The bottom line is that the local economy benefits tremendously (well into the millions) because of it, so don't count on the trend ending anytime soon.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Brown trout swim onto the scene 2008/03/02 21:27:57 (permalink)
    Sounds good to me, I'd even pay a couple of more bucks for the license. I don't know why people complain about something that gives you pleasure all year and cost about the same as taking you wife to see one movie.

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    Page: 12345 > Showing page 1 of 5
    Jump to: