How many Pa anglers.....

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
carpitiss
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points: 0
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/03 19:44:13 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: chrisrowboat

What's the big deal?
I never lost mine.
PAF&BC receives little from the fines most goes to court costs.
I would like to see the citations hold more weight. Stealing/poaching needs to be a misdemeanor/felony like theft is in the real world

i don't think the possibility of losing your license is really the point. point is most anglers have their wallets on them at all times. one should not have to remember to switch the license from the stream jacket to the hat on the boat, or the fly vest for warm water etc. and you shouldn't have to go through the trouble of printing out extra licenses, laminating, buying better safety pins, taping the license holder, etc etc... would be a little more convenient if you were permitted to just carry it in your wallet. probably would result in fewer fines for forgetting the license in the event it was attached to another garment at home.

and good for you "responsible anglers" who have never lost a license. have you also never left the license at home because you grabbed a different hat or jacket? if not, well kudos once again....

senseless rule...

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!
Inukshuk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2184
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/03 20:08:20 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: smallhook

Inukshuk,

Not sure if it was yours or not but my son found a license on twenty-mile four or five years ago.  Before we went back to our hotel we already dropped the license in the mail.  My kids firmly believe in what goes around comes around.

I think I lost mine in 06', anyway could be.  If it was, thanks!
post edited by Inukshuk - 2008/03/03 20:09:07
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/03 20:09:42 (permalink)
How much money do you think the PAFBC makes on replacement licenses every year if any?  Making it more convenient for the anglers may actually result in lost revenue for them...just a thought
post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/03 20:11:25

mikeg
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2533
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/03 20:25:15 (permalink)
Shutupnfish,
Man you're really stuck on the fact that the state has thier hands in your wallet, aren't you?
post edited by mikeg - 2008/03/03 20:27:20

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/03 20:34:05 (permalink)
LOL...not really...it was just a thought  It sure sounds like it though don't it...hmmmm OK I'm done!!  I think I shall donate some money to the commission tomorrow!

MuskyMastr
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3032
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/03 20:52:09 (permalink)
What I don't like is that they say that they don't have to bother you while you are fishing to see that you have a license.  That is supposed to be the point of displaying it.  But how many times have you been checked where they came over and said "can I see your license?" and then that was all they checked.   Leave me alone.  If you want to check me do it in the lot or at the vehicle or something.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
lfosburg
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/03 22:58:02 (permalink)
agreed, a comissioner to welcome poachers at their vehicles is a nice surprise :)
Muddogaug
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 43
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 08:30:16 (permalink)
My licence stays in my wallet to many blew off my hat while motoring back from fishing. If I see a WCO I will have it at the ready. As for things being like a police state its only what we ask for. There was a post about should people have a licence to drive a boat I cant belive how many people voted to have the government be their nanny.
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 10:41:29 (permalink)
Shutupnfish, that was hilarious!  
I too have lost mine when I had to transfer it to other clothing, etc.  Once I forgot it was pinnned to a sweatshirt, and I went out fishing with my vest, only to realuze after about an hour that I didn't have my license with me.  It's not a good feeling when you know you have one, but it's not with u.  Luckily no fish comm showed up.  Now I just leave it on my vest at all times. 

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 12:25:50 (permalink)
I agree with that. Big brother has way too much control over us ; why allow him more of a grip on OUR freedoms . However ; if having to display the license helps the state put more fish in statewide I will oblidge . I think it may keep many more honest than we may realize.

My biggest problem with the license system is the social security number they request when you purchase ; which I first gave a false one . That is none of thier business and an invasion of privacy . Just tell me your SS # with twelve strangers in line behind you .
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 12:31:23 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Dream Catcher

I agree with that. Big brother has way too much control over us ; why allow him more of a grip on OUR freedoms . However ; if having to display the license helps the state put more fish in statewide I will oblidge . I think it may keep many more honest than we may realize.

My biggest problem with the license system is the social security number they request when you purchase ; which I first gave a false one . That is none of thier business and an invasion of privacy . Just tell me your SS # with twelve strangers in line behind you .

I felt a bit odd with people behind me as I said my SSN number. 

Did the system take your fake SSN???
Dream Catcher
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1567
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 14:35:48 (permalink)
I think so .... I heard it was to locate dead beat dads . Which I am not ... So if that is the case I should be fine . Atleast I know the folks behind me won't jeopardize my credit.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 15:12:41 (permalink)
I've been giving them my social with one wrong number for the past few years now and I've been getting my licenses with no problems.  The first year, I asked why we had to do it and the lady at the counter got all defensive and went off on me about dead beat dads.  I asked her what that had to do with me, proceeded to give her the fake social, told her about it, paid for my license and went fishing!!

mojomotto3
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 19:43:41 (permalink)
I think that as long as it is on the persons, It should be valid!!!  You don't need to have it displayed in ohio or new york!!!!  If you ask me it is laziness!!!!

Carpitiss   hey thanks for checking us!!!! now that was some good ****zzznit!!!!
post edited by mojomotto3 - 2008/03/04 19:54:54

Why is beer so good???

Don't people in PA know that you are to point A to point B as fast as you CAN!!!!!
carpin05
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 830
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 20:16:12 (permalink)
I can't find mine right now...
carpitiss
Expert Angler
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/04 21:14:17 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: mojomotto3

I think that as long as it is on the persons, It should be valid!!!  You don't need to have it displayed in ohio or new york!!!!  If you ask me it is laziness!!!!

Carpitiss   hey thanks for checking us!!!! now that was some good ****zzznit!!!!

LOL! mojomotto is back! now all we need is fatty catty/vulcan/jackwolf to reappear to be complete.

jimbo204
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 10
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/05 09:44:28 (permalink)
lost my license last year on elk.  since i fish there 2-3 times per week i replaced it the next day.  two days later, when i came back from erie, my old one was in the mail.
now i buy online, make copies, spray with hair spray(to keep from running), put in holder, and double pin one to each of my vests.  so far this has been great.  may even
put a spare in my wallet.                               jim
Brad1
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 338
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/09 13:47:08 (permalink)
Last couple years in a row while I was bass fishing in the waters between lampes and northeast, the department of conservation cruised up to about 100' from my boat and was scoping us out with binoculars. Took a few seconds for me to realize what they might be interested in, then I told my buddys to show their licenses displayed. The officer on deck (the one watching us) waved and the officer that was driving the boat gave a "thank you" over the vhf.

Pryor to those couple times, I was getting forgetful about displaying my license (I guess from so many years of fishing Ohio). But now I'm pretty good about remembering.

Inukshuk
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2184
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/09 15:51:57 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: swinger

I hope Loomis posts on where the correct place is to put the license, he could clear this all up.

Dude, this is really getting old, every thread I read has you saying something that nobody cares about, if you cant contribute, please dont!
Wally Cat
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1073
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/09 16:20:39 (permalink)
I don't consider displaying my license a problem - have lost it exactly one time in 49 years - so what. There are those that complain about WCO's if they are around and others when they are not. Can't have both. I was fishing the lower Niagra many years ago and was boarded twice in the same day by the fine officers of New York, I got a good laugh about it. Was also boarded by the coast guard while fishing near Moorehead City, North Carolina. Had two violations including no ID. My wallet was in the truck back at the launch. No fine not even a written warning - just had to go get my wallet and stop at a marine store at the waters edge and replace my outdated flares. Often time the outcome of a "WCO check" is dependent on your own attitude and behavior toward the officers. I sometimes find it amusing, like the day I had my license checked twice during the same day by the same officer(I had changed from a heavy dark coat to a light windbreaker). We both got a good laugh over the incident and since have developed a good rapport.

Think about it.....what if there were no laws at all how quickly things would detieriorate.

Just my nickles worth(two cents is not enough)

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
Author..... Wally Cat
Meatball
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 527
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/09 23:50:34 (permalink)
Like I said once before, I don't see people driving around with their driver's license pinned to their head. Having it on you should be enough.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/09 23:53:24 (permalink)
No, but you DO see their registration, and inspection sticker prominently displayed.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
MTAARON
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/10 01:10:18 (permalink)
Personally, I would rather them be able to see it displayed than them come up and ask me for it.. The less talking with them I have to do the better. If some are you are having trouble keeping up with them... try this idea... STAY HOME...  Come on people, it's not that big of a deal... There is a saying I try to live by.. "Before you say what you think... THINK"
 Who all here is fishing the EPSFA Walleye Challenge in June???
FisherChic
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/10 08:52:35 (permalink)
we have our usually pinned to our fishing hats, or vests. i've never lost mine, but last fall my husband put his hat on top of the truck and drove off.
the next day went and bought a replacement license, 2 days later got his in the mail from the WCO office.

I like some of the ideas posted here, esp. buying online and printing extra copies.
Grendel
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1675
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/10 09:53:28 (permalink)
I personally do not think there is anything wrong with the rule/law.  The problem, however, seems to be laziness, forgetfulness, whininess, albeit, "everything else is the problem but me" syndrome. 

Conservation Officers are ~ 8x more likely to be assaulted than inner-city police officers (some studies show 5x, some indicate 10x).  The more contacts an officer has, the greater the chance for a verbal or worse, a physical confrontation.  Conversely, the fewer contacts an officer makes...  Anything that can be done to reduce this risk is well worth the trouble.

Become more cognizant of what is going around you will have no problems with the displaying of your license.   One of the steps towards proper socialization skills is moving beyond the "I" as the center of the universe.

Doc
post edited by Grendel - 2008/03/10 10:01:09

The strength of a person isn't measured by the muscle in their arm or how tall they stand, but rather, by the amount of knowledge and area of versatility they can cover. CM ~ 1987

Not a fan of Burgh teams. Get over it...
chipmunk
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 63
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/10 16:40:45 (permalink)
If they actually didn't bother me because I had my license displayed then I'd be all for it, but I have never once had them do that. Maybe they do sometimes, but in my experience they always come up to me so they can ask me questions and check my fishbox. Of course I'm not a good sample since I rarely fish from shore on my trips to pa, but at I at least see no reason to display it while on a boat.
pghmarty
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5951
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/10 16:59:03 (permalink)
Their questions and inspections last the longest and happen more frequently on my Checkmate with a few scantily clad bimbos on board.
On my Glastron with dad they never notice me.
spoonchucker
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 8561
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/10 17:05:43 (permalink)
The SS# requirement is the result of federal, and state legislation. Neither the PF&BC, or the PGC had any say in the matter.

Do I need to provide my social security number?

Yes. The U.S. Congress has enacted a number of laws to improve enforcement of child support obligations. As part of a broad "welfare reform" effort, the U.S. Government has required that states implement requirements to encourage payment of child support. States that fail to implement these requirements face possible loss of federal welfare funds.
The "welfare reform" legislation contains hundreds of provisions. Out of this massive law, a handful of the new federal requirements affect purchasers and holders of recreational licenses, including hunting and fishing licenses.
One provision requires states to deny hunting and fishing licenses to certain persons in arrears on child support when a court issues an order revoking or denying such licenses. Another requires government agencies to obtain Social Security numbers from applicants for recreational licenses, including fishing licenses....go to the fact sheet.

You CAN give a fake number, but providing false information CAN be a serious charge.
post edited by spoonchucker - 2008/03/10 17:06:44

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
carpitiss
Expert Angler
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/12 22:30:42 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: Grendel

I personally do not think there is anything wrong with the rule/law.  The problem, however, seems to be laziness, forgetfulness, whininess, albeit, "everything else is the problem but me" syndrome. 

Conservation Officers are ~ 8x more likely to be assaulted than inner-city police officers (some studies show 5x, some indicate 10x).  The more contacts an officer has, the greater the chance for a verbal or worse, a physical confrontation.  Conversely, the fewer contacts an officer makes...  Anything that can be done to reduce this risk is well worth the trouble.

Become more cognizant of what is going around you will have no problems with the displaying of your license.   One of the steps towards proper socialization skills is moving beyond the "I" as the center of the universe.

Doc

you sure it has nothing to do with the laziness of a WCO? can they not approach fishermen now? it is too dangerous? isn't it their JOB? give me a break....

i would rather them come chat to me. doesn't bother me. i'm legal. besides, there's nothing wrong with developing a rapport between anglers and WCOs.

has nothing to do with being more aware, responsible, or having good "socialization skills". it has to do with the fact that an angler should be permitted to carry a license on him/her---not have to buy a stronger holder so the pin doesn't bend, tape the end so it doesn't fall out, laminate the license, make extra copies, remember to take it off the jacket and pin it to a hat, etc, etc, etc.....

why do this? so a WCO can check an angler from a distance? i just don't get it......

FisherChic
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 789
RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/12 22:52:53 (permalink)
really tho, how hard is it to keep it pinned to your fishing hat or vest?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to: