Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
carpitiss
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points: 0
2008/03/01 10:25:19 (permalink)

How many Pa anglers.....

display their license? has anyone been fined for not displaying their license? with all the gear anglers wear during the cold months it can be difficult to show it. also, i have known many anglers who have lost their license because it was pinned to a jacket or hat and fell off while walking the streams. i am wondering if a WCO will actually fine an angler if he pulls the license out of his pocket or wallet....
post edited by carpitiss - 2008/03/01 12:29:09

Caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrppppppp!!!!

93 Replies Related Threads

Xstream Fishing
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 78
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 10:48:57 (permalink)
    I'm with anadromous on this one.  After losing my license no less than 3 times a year, I wised up and started buying them online and making atleast 10 copies.  Now, no problem.

I always have one pinned to my vest, pack, whatever.

X

We have not inherited this world from our ancestors, rather we borrowed it from our children.

Happiness does not come from having much, but from being attached to little...
    FISH ON, GOTTA RUN!
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8504
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 11:00:13 (permalink)
    Had mine in my tackle box once and got wrote up because it wasn,t on me. Pymy water cops.

mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 11:06:05 (permalink)
    I wasn't fined, but got a warning for not displaying it....

I think it's a pretty stupid law if you ask me. If a WCO comes close enough to see my license, than I would be glad to reach in my wallet and give it to him.

The law is driven by the state's trout fishing program. A WCO can walk behind the line of anglers to see who has a license and who doesn't. It's silly really....

PA is so geared toward trout fishing that I have to risk losing my license that is pinned to my jacket. Not to mention the person walking behind me can read my name and address. I actually have a problem with this law, but that's another topic on it's own.

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 12:41:29 (permalink)
    This rule/law sucks IMO!  Only in PA do you have to display your license.  I pin mine to my waist pack...last week mine actually got caught up on some brush and ripped off.  My buddy who was behind me picked it up...if it weren't for him I would have lost it and probably woulda had to pay for a replacement.  I'd much rather keep it in my wallet with my NY, OH and ONT licenses...Well, after that incident, I think I will from now on and takes my chances!

You're right mikeg....whats the reasoning behind it?  Only thing I could think of is that WCOs are too lazy to come up and check face to face and rather glass anglers from afar.  Pretty lame if you ask me.  Sorry for the rant....I think its stupid. 
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2008/03/01 12:44:05

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 13:40:59 (permalink)
    Those little numbers at the bottom... hole punched mine one time for not wearing it.

Best way to NOT lose a license.

Take a regular holder, remove the pin, throw it in the garbage.
    Take a key ring, put it through both holes
    Get a caribeaner, put the key ring on it.
    Never lost one since, doesnt put holes in stuff and is easly transferable in seconds.
    carpin05
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 830
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 13:41:51 (permalink)
    In 95 i was laid off and my dad retired and was fishing every dayand the wife got ****ed...
    One morning i was trying to sneak out of the house,LOL (no $hit) i picked up my hat and no license,Then i hear are you looking for this,,My wife was standing by the stove with my license in a pair of hot dog tongs over the fire!!! I said give it back and she burned it!!! So i went anyways the fish cop come to me and ask to see my license and i told him the story. my dad was laughing so hard he was crying the fish cop said i see you here every day so he give me a form as a temp and had to send the replacment and it come back with one of the numbers punched out... No fine and i could see him trying not to laugh..I swear this is a true story
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 14:05:32 (permalink)
    great story carp, great story.

AnimalCannibal1
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 14:28:38 (permalink)
    True story..........Last year, I went to a close local trib on my lunch break, and forgot my license. I was approaced by officer Ed and asked for my license. I did not have it. I produced the wallet tab and Ed was unwilling to accept. He told me if I "really" had a license to "mail it to Harrisburg with my citation I am writing you." I asked how i would fish in the meantime if I mailed my license to the capital. He told me to fish with a copy of my citation. After about 10 minutes of arguing (Respectfully of course) that i had my wallet tab, and did not wish to send my license off, I began to ask my specific questions. Options, alternatives, and badge numbers, I got Officer Ed to begrudgingly admit THAT I COULD TAKE MY LICENSE TO WALNUT CREEK OR ANY OTHER WCO OFFICE. When asked why he did not tell me that in the first place, he stuck with the story that its just easier for me to mail it. Maybe easier for some, not for me. 

..And then I saw a sheet being let down from Heaven and it contained all the four legged creatures of the Earth. And then the Lord told me "Get up Peter, Kill and Eat."
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 16:59:50 (permalink)
    Best way to NOT lose a license.

Take a regular holder, ... , throw it in the garbage.

...and buy it online and print 10 copies and laminate them.  Then, punch 2 holes in each for the diaper-pin to slip through.  They're made to not open, and they don't!  Place each laminated and pinned license in/on each of your tackle box/pack/vest/boat.  Then, no fine/warnings.  Fish on!
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 17:23:51 (permalink)
    I got stopped out on the lake one day when I had JUST put it in my wallet because the wind was blowing it around on my hat. 

The officer said he didn't care and also said that noone would ever fine me for it.   I now keep it in my wallet, but I'll still probably get fined when the wrong guy stops me.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 18:58:42 (permalink)
    Its still lame no matter how you look at it!  jlh...I like your idea and will try that, but it will go on my pack only.

Its just like my hunting license during archery.  I wear a safety harness and the license interfears with the harness, so I pin it to my pack....I almost got fined for it once....almost.

carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 19:16:09 (permalink)
    i would like to know the real reason for displaying your license. seems silly to me that a WCO would fine an angler for presenting the license if it happens to be concealed for some reason. there are a lot worse crimes people are committing on the water than this one. one should not have to go through all the trouble to print extra licenses, laminate them, and design some special apparatus to keep them attached to clothing. keeping the license in your pocket or wallet and showing an officer when accosted should suffice.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 19:37:46 (permalink)
    carpitiss, very well said.

Fishtamer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 235
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 20:21:58 (permalink)
    It's kind of stupid now, the way they print the licenses. Your stamps are printed on the backside, so the warden has to come & check it anyhow. So, even when displayed, they still have a reason to check you out anyhow. Maybe not stupid, maybe just sneaky.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 20:56:08 (permalink)
    They say you have to wear it so that they don't have to come and molest your fishing just to see if you have one.  Funny how in every other state they just check when they aren't disturbing you........I was told here that it you are fishing without it, you have 24 hrs to produce it.  I leave mine in the truck all the time, probably shouldn't.   

An older friend of mine who is kind of sickly looking to begin with got checked on pymy one time, then when they found the license they wanted to check all the walleye in the livewell (on the lake) my friend told them to go ahead.  He kept fishing, made them hang over the boat and check every one.  They first told him he had to stop fishing, and he said that when they found something illegal he would.  He never took his line out of the water......The second time they wanted to check the livewell that day he told them to go ahead but that he had AIDS and his hand were all cut to hell from those fish.  They didn't check again......

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 22:49:38 (permalink)
    I think we ought to tattoo them to our forheads.

ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 23:39:12 (permalink)
    If I could purchase a lifetime fishing license/tattoo, I probably would...although I'd tattoo it on my****so that when the wardens wanted to check it, I could kill two birds with one stone and show them the license/moon them at the same time!

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/01 23:43:59 (permalink)

Inukshuk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2184
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 09:54:18 (permalink)
    Not related to original post but, a few years ago, before I joined this forum, I received my fishing license and holder in the mail from somebody in Pittsburgh (I think).  I did not even know that I lost it.  I think I lost it on 20 mile because that is where I was fishing most of my time in Erie.  I did send a thank you back to that person.  So if it was someone on this thread, I would like to thank you again for that very nice gesture.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 10:04:19 (permalink)
    Had a fella from Buffalo mail me mine. Lost it at Chautaqua.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

nut
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 295
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 10:10:32 (permalink)
    it is a reason for the wco's to stop you. used to be the trout stamp and lake erie stamp was visable from a distance. now they have to stop you and make you pull it out to check your stamps. getting more and more a police state everyday.

the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

www.theonshorefisherman.bravehost.com
    centerpin_drift
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 10:20:56 (permalink)
    I like putting mine in a hunting license holder, been doing it for years and never had a problem yet. I also when i shoot a deer, i fill out the tag, stick the tag back in the license holder and stick it through the deers year and make sure it's nice and secure, I have never had a problem with that. A friend of mine got pinched by the Game commission, for doing the same thing. He took it too the judge and WON! The judge said he did no wrong because the deer was tagged and easily the blaze orange holder was securely in place on the ear of the animal. And that the warden had total acess to the animal, and wasn't like my friend was trying to hide anything. So moral of the story is one for the sport mans and 0 for the PAGC. For trying to act like a bunch of hard areses.

Centerpin_drift!~

Get the Drift !!!!!
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 11:48:30 (permalink)
    Your stamps ARE highly visible on the face of your license. Look at it, there 2 fish outlines (if you have a combo stamp ). The number of fish, and their position indicate which stamps you have. Also, if pinned correctly no one can see your adress, etc. as the face not the back would be visible.

In the 34 years that I've been required to possess a license, I've lost mine a grand total of ONE time. There are folks out there ( and on this board ) that have issues with authority figures. Thus fewer unnecessary interaction between WCOs and the public, avoids unnecessary confrontation. I don't care either way, but I fail to see how the display requirement creates any undue, or excessive hardship.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    carpitiss
    Expert Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 13:34:59 (permalink)
    "but I fail to see how the display requirement creates any undue, or excessive hardship."

and i fail to see how NOT displaying a license creates any undue or excessive hardship.

i have no problem with law enforcement. in fact, i appreciate the WCO checking the boat before i venture into the lake. at least i know that i will be safe. however, for some odd reason i am usually checked when i RETURN to the dock. doesn't make sense to me if the reason for checking someone is for safety reasons.

guess i got a little off topic, but i believe that displaying your license is about as unnecessary as checking a boat when it returns from the lake...... just doesn't make sense to me i guess.

chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 14:15:31 (permalink)
    Those make perfect sense to me.  While I'm sure there are a few officers that care about your saftey and check you to protect it, its all about the cash. I bet they get alot of cash from fines given for things that weren't a saftey hazard to anyone.

I guess the license display thing makes sense when people are lined up on the streams.  Maybe that should be the law.  Only when stream fishing, but wait, that would probably just make it more complicated and annoying.  Then maybe they should get rid of it alltogether, but then they couldn't fine us for it and there's noway theyll give up a way to collect fines.  I dont see either happening anytime soon.

All I know is it really annoys me on my trips to the state.  Maybe it wouldn't if I lived there and was used to it.
    chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 15:54:07 (permalink)
    What's the big deal?
    I never lost mine.
    PAF&BC receives little from the fines most goes to court costs.
    I would like to see the citations hold more weight. Stealing/poaching needs to be a misdemeanor/felony like theft is in the real world
    post edited by chrisrowboat - 2008/03/02 15:57:23
    chipmunk
    Novice Angler
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 20:32:37 (permalink)
    Agreed.  Violations that damage wildlife, wildlife habitat, or endanger people should have much stronger penalties. 

Now not having your license pinned to your hat (or elsewhere) come on...is it really that important when compared?

smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 21:46:29 (permalink)
    Inukshuk,

Not sure if it was yours or not but my son found a license on twenty-mile four or five years ago.  Before we went back to our hotel we already dropped the license in the mail.  My kids firmly believe in what goes around comes around.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: How many Pa anglers..... 2008/03/02 21:54:04 (permalink)
    I think gremlins stole mine one day at Walnut.
    I had it when I went out but could not find it later that night.
    I allways kept it on my camo hat.
    I think I lost it too, but I am not sure because most of my hats seem to be camo.
    Maybee a brighter hat might help

Most things gremlins steel from me are just borrowed and are returned when I don't need them.
    I think this time the little bassturds kept it!
    post edited by pghmarty - 2008/03/02 21:55:56
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to: