Fly rod repair

Author
fisherofmen376
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2215
  • Reward points: 0
2023/03/10 14:33:08 (permalink)

Fly rod repair

Hey yinz, I broke the top two eyelets off my redington 9 foot 6 wt.
know of any repair people? And is it costly to repair? Thanks!
post edited by fisherofmen376 - 2023/03/10 14:34:39

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
Matthew 4:19

4 Replies Related Threads

fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fly rod repair 2023/03/10 14:40:16 (permalink)
    Here’s a pic, I think it will load!

Attached Image(s)

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9685
    Re: Fly rod repair 2023/03/10 23:26:05 (permalink)
    Looks like a pretty bad place to break. Where most of the action of the rod is. I’d have to think a repair is probably as expensive of a new rod. But honestly don’t know.

I have repaired some of my own, more spinning, but my 8wt fly slinger is 7’-6” with a replacement tip. I am a bit of a pack rat and keep other rods that break. If you can’t find a reasonable repair option and happen to have another old rod tip, you can make it usable. Saw both ends clean and sand down. Get a 6” or so section of an old rod tip that would fit inside, again, clean ends for it too. Cover your insert section with epoxy, especially ends. Set it inside and then epoxy around your joint. You can wrap in thread to his the joint and acts like rebar/gravel in cement, but probably not all that necessary with an insert. It won’t cast the same way, but will work. I have done with spinning rods and will work. There are YouTube videos showing the process. Something to keep you going and be a back up until you are able to get a new battle axe. A fix you might not feel great about it a dream level fish is on, but might give you the chance of that dream level fish that you wouldn’t have…
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3425
    Re: Fly rod repair 2023/03/11 07:37:35 (permalink)
    Send it back to Reddington. You'll have to pay shipping, but they'll fix it. Email them and have a repair order opened or find a dealer near you. Hopethisahelpa
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    Re: Fly rod repair 2023/03/11 11:05:44 (permalink)
    Thanks guys!
    It’s not an expensive Redington but I’ll check with them and see if they’ll do anything. I’ve had it at least 10 years and don’t have a receipt anymore I’m sure of that.
    Seems like the consensus thru talking with guys is that the location of the break makes it very hard to repair and be confident it won’t harm the action of the rod. We shall see.

Jump to: