Author
Porktown
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 9686
  • Reward points: 0
2022/04/28 22:22:16 (permalink)

Kenny

N’at!

I’m betting the guy is not going to be the next franchise guy like Ben. Mostly due to it rarely working out that way. I personally wouldn’t have picked him. But was okay they did. I’ve been rooting for him and calling him a bum for years. Not upset to be doing it for at least 2-3 more. I’m betting he ends up an average type qb, which might be enough to get them into the playoffs until he demands major money. Not paying out the rear for a qb will allow them to build the team. People talk how good other AFC QBs are, but neglect to mention, once their contracts explode, so does the talent on their rosters. Kenny could be a deep playoff run QB in a year or two, if they can address some other areas, while they have the cash. Glad they didn’t go Malik Willis. He may be good, but it will likely be 3-4 years from now, when over half of Stillers stars are gone! I personally wouldn’t go first round on any QB that isn’t at least in a mid major D1 conference. No way on a guy from Liberty. Will be a great later 2nd or 3rd round lottery ticket.
post edited by Porktown - 2022/04/28 22:44:20
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Kenny 2022/04/29 07:46:14 (permalink)
They had other needs thas for sure. They would have been better served to take one of the Dmen from Georgia. I guess , with the Haskins tragedy, they needed to fill that roster spot. No matter what Tomlin says, Pickett will not compete for the starting job. Mitch will be there with Rudolph as #2. Let Kenny marinate on the bench for a year or two. It's a nice feel good story, and he seems like a great kid BUT...... you didn't havta "waste" your #1 pick on a QB this year. The fat pig Madden will be must listen to @3 on the X today.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Kenny 2022/04/29 10:58:07 (permalink)
It depends what you mean by competing for the starting job.  Compete for season opener, very unlikely.  Compete for the job if Trubisky has just about any issues or injury, I can see happening.  Just like when Ben was a rookie.  Tommy went down and likely could have returned a few games later.  Ben managed games his first year or two, Tommy was probably better Ben's first year.  I had no issues at all with Ben taking the reins then and wouldn't with Kenny doing the same.  He is a good QB and a competitor.  If they can grab a good OL in second round and a WR or two, which they have been very good at developing and someone that can spell Harris, I think he could do well.  I doubt he will be an all time great, most aren't.  But he graded much higher than many that have.  Many that graded much higher than he did, tanked.  It is easily the one position that none of the experts can predict.  Trubisky was supposed to be a can't miss prospect...  Mahommes was supposed to be a career backup.  Brady was supposed to collect jock straps after practices.

BTW - Might be a stretch to say Tommy was better than Ben at that point.  Tommy went down hill pretty quickly when they drafted Ben.  He was never a very good QB, but their offense was 80% running the ball.  Ben added a huge spark, still a game manager by all means his first few years, but how defenders would bounce off of him or have 2-3 of them dangling on him and still make a throw, was an amazing skill.  Tommy definitely did not have that ability and Kenny will never be able to do that either.  Ben after a few years turned from a game manager to an elite QB, which the vast majority of QBs never do.  Odds say Kenny will not, but one thing about Kenny, he is a competitor and will give it his all.  I tend to think if he had a team like the 2004 Stillers, he would have done just fine too.  Their current team isn't nearly that, but if they address noted above, I can see him doing well.  Enough to justify 1st round pick, depends on what you think justifies a 1st round pick.  Most other positions are not nearly the lottery ticket that 1st round QBs are.  Most are a pretty safe investment, rarely are they with QBs.
post edited by Porktown - 2022/04/29 11:10:12
Timachro
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1339
Re: Kenny 2022/05/01 10:53:04 (permalink)
Ironic that the player that Ben replaced wore #8. Pickett will wear same #8 to replace Ben. I just thought that was an interesting fact! Also, I think they should have picked some O line help at some point during the draft. I like the Pickett pick, however I don't love it!
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: Kenny 2022/05/01 19:03:25 (permalink)
He's gonna play this year. You don't spend your top pick, on a guy who is by all accounts from scouts, coaches, etc, "NFL ready".
Last pick was a replacement for Haskins in my book. Wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Rudolph. Doubtful they trade Mitch, but they have 4 Qb's. 3 for Team, 1 for scout team. 

Was a pretty good draft overall. On paper, with that draft + free agency, the Steelers really retooled their team. Have to see if it gels.
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
Re: Kenny 2022/05/02 08:25:40 (permalink)
Unless he blows them away in pre-season, Mitch probably will start, but soon as they lose a game or two, Kenny comes in. But it took Kenny five years to pop in a bad ACC conference. Most Qbs that are really good dont take 5 years to develop. But Steelers went 8-8 with Mason and Duck. 
pensfan1
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3425
Re: Kenny 2022/05/02 10:27:04 (permalink)
Ah yes I can hear it now coming from the 500level bleachers... " Hey, wen dhey gunna put dat Pinkett in dere? "
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Kenny 2022/05/02 21:56:04 (permalink)
psu_fish
Unless he blows them away in pre-season, Mitch probably will start, but soon as they lose a game or two, Kenny comes in. But it took Kenny five years to pop in a bad ACC conference. Most Qbs that are really good dont take 5 years to develop. But Steelers went 8-8 with Mason and Duck. 

Kenny beat the National Champ Clemson Tigers as a rookie. That same team that embarrassed any B1G team they faced…
DeadGator401
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 907
Re: Kenny 2022/05/04 00:50:05 (permalink)
psu_fish

You may be right, but at the same time - does it matter at this point? Most of the brainpower of the NFL circle think he is good to go so. 
I'd expect an absolute battle between Mitch and Kenny in camp. Depth is never a bad thing.
Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Kenny 2022/05/04 08:03:42 (permalink)
Name one PSU qb that did absolutely anything positive in the NFL. Even after 5 years of NFL development. Career NFL journeyman at best is the answer. So, if Pickett does that, he would equal the greatest PSU QBs of all time. PSF’s would be renaming their stadium in honor if he was a Nittany Lion.
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
Re: Kenny 2022/05/04 10:47:43 (permalink)
Firstly...his last name is an issue...unavoidable and bad luck.  

Secondly,  it's possible that he could compete for starts this year but unless he IS your next franchise, I wouldn't be holding my breath over it.  And, if he is a franchise, most of the NFL missed it because he dropped in the Stillers lap at 20.  

Porktown
Pro Angler
Re: Kenny 2022/05/04 11:21:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby fishin coyote 2022/05/04 12:48:49
LDD
Firstly...his last name is an issue...unavoidable and bad luck.  

Secondly,  it's possible that he could compete for starts this year but unless he IS your next franchise, I wouldn't be holding my breath over it.  And, if he is a franchise, most of the NFL missed it because he dropped in the Stillers lap at 20.  

Better than Blewitt! Pitt kicker that I think plays in the NFL.

You do realize over half of the QBs in the Hall of Fame, you can say the same thing about "the NFL missed it because he dropped to X,Y,Z pick or round or undrafted"???  The GOAT is a prime example.  Arguably the second best of all time Montana, was #82 in the 3rd round.  The idea that many teams passed on any QB is no indication of how they will do.  Nearly every scout out there said that he was the most NFL ready guy.  

Even more "can't miss" QBs that went below #20 overall, were either busts, career backups, journeymen starters or average at best.  There isn't a position on the field that is more of a craps shoot than the QB.  I personally would not have taken him and likely would have rolled with Mason and spent most of the draft and FA focusing on both lines.  Compete with shutting down the other team and pounding them, like they did when Ben won his first SB as a game manager.  If Mason couldn't handle that, then beat him over the head with a helmet!
Jump to: