CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES

Author
Panfisher
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 799
  • Reward points: 0
2022/04/26 09:28:48 (permalink)

CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES

Question for you all.  You are out on Lake Erie during the perch hay day.  There are 4 guys on the boat.  Perch are biting well and you get a 4 man limit.  You throw all the fish in a big cooler.  Is this legal as warden doesn't know who caught the fish?  I would think they do not mess with boats on Lake Eri.

Anyway, I was on a small lake in Cambria County.  There was 3 of us on the boat and we threw all the panfish in the live well.  We exceeded the one person limit.  When we pulled the boat out the deputy fish warden was there.  He said we can not put all the fish in the same basket.  It's illegal.  He does not know who caught the fish.  So with 3 people we have to separate fish into 3 different containers!!!  I told him this is not done on Lake Erie.  He said that is illegal up there also.

What are your thoughts on this?

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.

10 Replies Related Threads

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2196
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/04/26 10:09:22 (permalink)
    I believe the 'separate bucket' rule applies everywhere (I recall it being in the regulationsbut haven't read it that in depth recently),  enforcement may vary though.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/04/26 10:27:37 (permalink)
    Page 9 on PDF version... not worded well, but typical of laws...sorry if this is weird sized, tried a screen shot. 

Attached Image(s)

solitario lupo
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/04/26 11:02:10 (permalink)
    Written right in the rules. Every person must have there own stringer or separate container for fish. And no it does not change in Erie I’ve seen a lot of people warned for it in Erie.
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3423
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/04/26 11:15:14 (permalink)
    Ya concur with all that. I know when fishing Pymie, each person has to keep those fish separate. When we go I'll put like 15 in the live well then start hanging em on a stringer or bring the basket I have.
    pensfan1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3423
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/04/26 11:17:30 (permalink)
    solitario lupo
    Written right in the rules. Every person must have there own stringer or separate container for fish. And no it does not change in Erie I’ve seen a lot of people warned for it in Erie.

I dunno.. we just throw em in the cooler after they're bled. With only 2 of us it's not hard to count 12. I suppose when fishing a charter or bigger boat, with more guys, you would run into issues maybe.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/04/26 13:43:12 (permalink)
    when we did perching we grabbed walmart bags and threw in cooler. split into bags of like 15 each if needed. didnt do perch trips often but figured it was an ok way to satisfy the letter of the law if questioned. we have garbage bags and rope stringers on the boat available if we really felt the need to separate walleye catches.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9681
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/04/26 13:47:55 (permalink)
    There are boat limits in other states, especially charter boats.  Possibly boat limits for charter boats on Erie too?  Could be how some are confused.

To be honest, when I take a group of kids on my boat or even my dad or father in law, we usually use the same cooler.  But rarely if ever catch more than a one person limit!    At least fish big enough to be worth keeping.  I'll have to start taking some bags or something to separate the fish or another cooler.
    FishinGuy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2074
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/04/26 14:03:59 (permalink)
    I've never seen an issue putting them all in one cooler on Erie for me in the past. I was given a hard time by a wco once for carrying my 2 other friends limits(almost 3 limits, separate stingers, 1 bucket)of trout in my 1 bucket.
    Panfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 799
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/05/01 09:56:53 (permalink)
    Wel, wasn't really questioning the law as much as fishing on the big pond.  Every trip I made out there all the fish were thrown in one cooler.

I 'll have to separate fish on the boat back home here.

The only thing better than 1 day of fishing is 2 days of fishing.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    Re: CREELING FISH ON LAKE ERIE AND OTHER LAKES 2022/05/02 08:21:14 (permalink)
    All my previous years on Erie (private fishing and on charters), never was an issue but, every time we were checked, it was always on the water and not at the dock...they just counted rods, asked for us to hold up licenses as they idled by us, asked how the fishing was....and was on to the next boat.  
    Jump to: